• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Heavy Arrows

I can most assure you, this is correct. I decided to try this TOOTH FAIRY bs every has been goin on about. After endless testing and proven results in the field, the absolute MOST y’all are getting out of me is a 300 spine FMJ and 125 grain broadhead. I refuse to give up ANY more trajectory/pin gap. I shoot a 2 pin sight (first pin is 25 yards, second is 40) and there is no more shooting 0-30 easily. There is a 6” drop from 25 to 30 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m having the same problem with my pin gaps, except mine is between my 30 and 40 yard pin. My 30 with heavy arrows was only about an inch lower than my normal arrows but my 40 is a good 6 inches. Sitting about where my 50 yard pin used to be

I can most assure you, this is correct. I decided to try this TOOTH FAIRY bs every has been goin on about. After endless testing and proven results in the field, the absolute MOST y’all are getting out of me is a 300 spine FMJ and 125 grain broadhead. I refuse to give up ANY more trajectory/pin gap. I shoot a 2 pin sight (first pin is 25 yards, second is 40) and there is no more shooting 0-30 easily. There is a 6” drop from 25 to 30 yards.

I believe the reason you are seeing more drop than others is your arrow choice. FMJ’s are notoriously heavy arrows throughout the whole length of the arrow so I would wager that you are not getting 19%+ FOC. Can you please measure your FOC and report back?

I want everybody to do me a favor and shoot their 25 yard pin at 30 yards and tell me the results you are getting. Maybe there is something wrong with my bow.

Nothing wrong with your bow.Have kept pretty quiet about this because so many guys are getting bandwagonned.You do not need a freaking 700 gr arrow to kill a whitetail deer or a hog.A sufficiently heavy hunting arrow is more than enough with a good broadhead.If you think your setup is flatter with an extremely heavy shaft you are kidding yourself.However they will kill a deer and the dirt after these guys misjudge the yardage and shoot under em.The middle ground is always the best way to go.Been at it a long time and extremes are just that and are normally fads that fade away.JMO

I think it depends on yhe different cam systems and of course DL. A bow that is slower to begin with will loose less speed,a super fast one will loose more. So the drop is relative. I can live with my changes,but i dont see myself shooting at a live target much over 30. I figure if i do i have time to adjust my single pin sight. 30 to 2 yards i keep it set at 25.
I could be wrong about most of this...

I think it depends on yhe different cam systems and of course DL. A bow that is slower to begin with will loose less speed,a super fast one will loose more. So the drop is relative. I can live with my changes,but i dont see myself shooting at a live target much over 30. I figure if i do i have time to adjust my single pin sight. 30 to 2 yards i keep it set at 25.
I could be wrong about most of this...

Love it! Yes, I agree. I am shooting a Hoyt RX-3 @ 74lbs and 29.5” draw. I bet it is my FMJ arrows. I will check my FOC.

I believe the reason you are seeing more drop than others is your arrow choice. FMJ’s are notoriously heavy arrows throughout the whole length of the arrow so I would wager that you are not getting 19%+ FOC. Can you please measure your FOC and report back?

I did not think about that. I guarantee that has something to do with it. Thank you.

Make sure your arrow flight is clean and perfectly straight. I will check mine after dinner and let you know.

I want to start by saying this....it is up to everyone to shoot whatever arrow makes them happy! Heavy arrow and FOC arrow builds are not for everyone! If you want to shoot twirlers and flappers (as the ranch fairy says...inserted sarcasm there), have fun! No one is judging you. (This is not intended toward anyone)

to the O/P...I shot my gap between 20 and 30 yards with my 623 grain 23.24% foc arrow(I don't have a 25 yard pin) and I hit about 2.5” low at 30 yards from center of a small bulleye. So I decided to shoot my 20 pin at 30 yards for a more exact aiming point. I hit about 5” low at 30 yards with my 20 yard pin. I think I was hitting 4” low with my 445 grain arrow I hunted with last year.
I have killed plenty of deer with arrows from 375 grains to 650 grains, all of them killed the deer...dead is dead! But I have lost more deer with light arrows and mechanicals (twizlers and flappers) only 2 (but 2 too many) than I have with arrows over 400 grains...0! I’m not a pro hunter or anything like that, I just have confidence in my setup and that’s why I shoot what I shot. I believe everyone should shoot what they are confident in. I owe it to the deer (game animal) to know the distance and be confident in my shot. Just my .02!

Opinions are like a-holes
We all have one
They all stink

If you say the heavy arrow thing is a fad then that is your opinion

There is no right or wrong

Study what you want to do and do it well

That being Is bet all day that your 450 grain arrow with a rage try pan isn’t breaking through a shoulder

The heavy arrows I will shoot this year will
I want to break shoulders and pop lungs

Use what’s best for your situation
Many things can happen

I’ve seen deer clot up after 80 yards too many times helping people track

If you smack a deer with a heavy FOC and strong single or double bevel you’re going to break bone and anything else in between it

Watch this video

Can’t really argue with it

Show me where the light arrow and expandable did this

I’m not saying you’re wrong for shooting the light arrow and expandable, most of my friends do
But I don’t want deer running far

You can say I need to practice more and carry on all you want
A lot can happen in the suburbs

Dogs
Joggers
Domestic violence
Courting teenagers

A lot of distractions for deer out here

I hunt farms too but prefer urban
A lot of sleepers in the burbs

Shot my 25 yard pin at 30 yards = 7" drop! Aimed at purple tape. Thats why I'm sticking to 25 yards and closer. If I went out West I'd have to go to a lighter arrow or I'd need 10 pins! View attachment 33519

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Shoot your 30 pin at 30 yards and report plz

Best I can do is my 25 yard pin at 25 yards. I have a 15, 25 and 35 yard pin. I can only shoot 30 yards max in my back yard! So I rarely practice my 35. Life in the Suburbs! Later this afternoon!

Listening to the guys that are having penetration issues the common denominator does not seem to be arrow weight It seems to be the choice of broadheads that is causing the issue Personally don’t care for expandables for these reasons but never thought an issue would be caused by the weight of the shaft I was using but I have never been one to go very light and I try to have my FOC in the 16 to 20 percent range

Listening to the guys that are having penetration issues the common denominator does not seem to be arrow weight It seems to be the choice of broadheads that is causing the issue Personally don’t care for expandables for these reasons but never thought an issue would be caused by the weight of the shaft I was using but I have never been one to go very light and I try to have my FOC in the 16 to 20 percent range
I certainly agree. Sounds like you shoot a very capable arrow and you are certainly confident! I would continue to shoot that setup for sure! I helped a good friend of mine this summer to build an arrow that is similar to yours (sounds like it without all the details). His final weight was 438 grains with 18% foc. He was concerned with his short draw length. He decided to increase his foc from 11% and weight of 375 grains due to some issues last season on big bodied deer with slick trick standards. He was surprised at how little cost in arrow drop and trajectory he had to live with considering his gain in arrow penetration! Confidence is King!

25 yard pin at 25 yards!
375608e9e5083b3c3bdfd7471419eea9.jpg

What kind of targets are you guys using for broadheads with the heavy arrow setups? My arrows with field points are blowing through my Black Hole target. Rural King has the Morrell High Roller, Rinehart 18-1, and Rinehart Woodland block. Leaning towards the High Roller. But also considerd this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008L0DUJY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0zHmFbD2WDK8H because I'm using an EZ V sight.
I can't find the model I bought from them last year but it is a black hornet broadhead only target but I shoot field points into it too. It is tough target. this site has a lot of options for bowhunters and any other archer for that matter. I have no affiliation with them. This is the closest model I could find to the one I bought and $20 cheaper!!!! http://www.archerytargets.com/black-hornet-attack

How much KE does it take to penetrate the shoulder at x yardage? With a sharp broadhead? Does this number exist? Not being a turd just asking for those who what to know. If we can put a number on it folks can decide if they have what it takes given their set up.

How much KE does it take to penetrate the shoulder at x yardage? With a sharp broadhead? Does this number exist? Not being a turd just asking for those who what to know. If we can put a number on it folks can decide if they have what it takes given their set up.

That number doesn’t exist. Well, it might exist but we can’t measure it. Every shoulder is different, every shot is different, every arrow, bow, hunter, everything is different.

GO SHOOT ANIMALS

I may be in the minority here, but I would rather have someone who hunts, wounds an animal and then learns from mistakes and keeps trying to hunt and solve problems than someone who sits on the couch not hunting because everyone at the bow shop told them “Oh you can only pull 40 lbs you aren’t going to be able to kill a deer”. Or “oh you only have your dad’s old Bear bow that has the ibo speed of a wet fart? You can’t kill a deer”.

I know a guy who loves bowhunting and loves killing deer. He’s rockin a 12 year old pawn shop Hoyt that’s about 2 inches too long for him and 3 stalker extreme arrows. No stands, no blinds, no deer lease or corn feeder. He just rocks out to the wma and gets after it.

I don’t care what your draw weight or length is, if you are above about 12 and not handicapped you have plenty of KE.

Back