• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

So I checked my trail camera yesterday while scouting..

gcr0003

SH Member
and apparently I had been compromised. A dollar bill was placed on my camera.3478B9C7-5F4D-4397-8D40-EC5C2DD11D27.png Luckily it wasn’t a poop dollar but just a regular ole dollar. Whoever found my camera 1 day earlier deleted all the pictures on my card. Irritated but relieved they didn’t steal my $18 dollar tasco camera I took it down and continued on my hike. I wasn’t 10 yards up the hill from my camera when I found their camera. 39E6B838-2EA8-4659-807E-278AF151FBFA.png Low and behold these jokers had been very naughty and threw out corn as well.083B465B-3E2A-4BEB-B0BA-CE99EC70431B.png Since I found their camera I thought it was only suiting to leave them a dollar too to let them know they too had be compromised.

Later that day I found a camera way back in the woods from 2018-2019 season. I about fell out when I saw these Alabama monsters. F0FC3155-980F-444C-8647-E69263BFEFE7.jpegD1E5DC2A-52D9-4D1A-A1CF-58E5BCE85272.png06BC8D02-7129-489B-A85E-9A470DAC36CF.jpeg116354F4-690A-4BBE-BB2A-2F25DF45D72F.png

Makes me look forward to hunting knowing what this area can produce.

I also found some old ladder stands...DD455C22-D827-4290-B5F1-867618354AB3.png2EA0327A-97CA-4B13-9287-5CE7110C6DC1.png

My day ended with getting home and discovering what a seed tick was. Well what about 30 seed ticks were. The wife was not pleased but helped me pull all the blood suckers off.

Nice bucks! I usually get a little more creative with the trail camera pranks as long as I see them before they see me (crab walking past one will be sure to raise an eyebrow). So I'm sure you know but....bring 1 stick and hang them up higher and it seems like most aren't looking up in the trees when scouting and will often overlook em. Seed ticks suck, and permethrin is your friend. I learned the hard way last year in shorts and sandals (they will literally attach everywhere).

Why not bring your saddle and hang em high?
I had several run ins with chiggers in Tennessee and didn't like it for several weeks. Are seed ticks a different species I wouldn't like?

Why not bring your saddle and hang em high?
I had several run ins with chiggers in Tennessee and didn't like it for several weeks. Are seed ticks a different species I wouldn't like?
Seed ticks are just the juvenile version of regular ticks (they're tick larvae, technically). They're particularly troublesome because they're very small and therefore difficult to see and pick off in a timely manner, and my experience is that they get on you in bunches, not just one's or two's. My dad and I have talked about stepping in a "nest" of seed ticks, where you'll find dozens on a single leg after.

Seed ticks are just the juvenile version of regular ticks (they're tick larvae, technically). They're particularly troublesome because they're very small and therefore difficult to see and pick off in a timely manner, and my experience is that they get on you in bunches, not just one's or two's. My dad and I have talked about stepping in a "nest" of seed ticks, where you'll find dozens on a single leg after.
Yes one year while Turkey hunting I sat at the base of a tree and apparently ended up sitting in a nest of them because my whole crotch area was covered!!!! When I took my underwear off it still looked like I had them on it was horrible!!!!

I put my trail cameras about 12 feet up in a tree so far I haven't had any problems. Knock on wood.

and apparently I had been compromised. A dollar bill was placed on my camera.View attachment 33877 Luckily it wasn’t a poop dollar but just a regular ole dollar. Whoever found my camera 1 day earlier deleted all the pictures on my card. Irritated but relieved they didn’t steal my $18 dollar tasco camera I took it down and continued on my hike. I wasn’t 10 yards up the hill from my camera when I found their camera. View attachment 33878 Low and behold these jokers had been very naughty and threw out corn as well.View attachment 33879 Since I found their camera I thought it was only suiting to leave them a dollar too to let them know they too had be compromised.

Later that day I found a camera way back in the woods from 2018-2019 season. I about fell out when I saw these Alabama monsters. View attachment 33882View attachment 33883View attachment 33884View attachment 33885

I also found some old ladder stands...View attachment 33889View attachment 33890

My day ended with getting home and discovering what a seed tick was. Well what about 30 seed ticks were. The wife was not pleased but helped me pull all the blood suckers off.
Wonder what the purpose of the dollar was?

Wonder what the purpose of the dollar was?
I’m not sure, especially since it wasn’t a poop dollar. What was more strange to me is that they would then walk ten yards past my camera and set up their camera and throw out corn (which is illegal on public land in Alabama)

and apparently I had been compromised. A dollar bill was placed on my camera.View attachment 33877 Luckily it wasn’t a poop dollar but just a regular ole dollar. Whoever found my camera 1 day earlier deleted all the pictures on my card. Irritated but relieved they didn’t steal my $18 dollar tasco camera I took it down and continued on my hike. I wasn’t 10 yards up the hill from my camera when I found their camera. View attachment 33878 Low and behold these jokers had been very naughty and threw out corn as well.View attachment 33879 Since I found their camera I thought it was only suiting to leave them a dollar too to let them know they too had be compromised.

Later that day I found a camera way back in the woods from 2018-2019 season. I about fell out when I saw these Alabama monsters. View attachment 33882View attachment 33883View attachment 33884View attachment 33885

I also found some old ladder stands...View attachment 33889View attachment 33890

Whew. Number 3 is thicc. Yeah I usually take a stick with me and hang my 10 feet off the ground. It may not stop em but damnit they’re gonna work for it. What’s the dollar bill for? I’m not in the know.

“Deleted your pics....here’s a dollar for your troubles” would be my guess.

@gcr0003 - I think it's a "tip" letting you know you're not the only one hunting there and that they tampered with your camera. If they didn't leave it, you'd wonder if the camera just malfunctioned when you found that the card was empty. Of course, they could have left you a note on a small piece of paper for the same effect. But I hear that @Nutterbuster prefers to tip.:)

It seems that there's two approaches to running trail cameras on public land: (1) Put out inexpensive cameras that you won't cry over if stolen; (2) Put out expensive ones that are out of reach, well hidden / carefully disguised, or just locked up in a camera box with security cable. I've seen both approaches on public lands in my area. When I put out cameras on public I follow approach (2).

I would say at the very least contacting the local gw with coordinates and a description may be useful.

By tampering with your camera, letting you know it was them, and then baiting the site they are pretty much marking their territory and letting you know they fully intend to break the law while also saying "buzz off".

That kind of emboldened behavior should not be tolerated. I wouldn't be surprised if your camera grew legs if you left it there the next time they came through.

Sooooooo do you hunt there knowing the bait is there and therefore have no leg to stand on when the warden gets you? Which he will, because if this cat sees you in there hunting he WILL call the warden on you. Or do you bail on the area in which case this cat will remove the bait, notice how well it’s piled up, and hunt there in peace without you around?

Me? I think the guy knows the area better than you and is willing to take the chance of having that area off limits if you call it in because he’s got areas far enough from the bait to hunt the same deer without peril. If he wanted didn’t mind taking a chance of you hunting there he would have merely deleted the good pictures.

Sooooooo do you hunt there knowing the bait is there and therefore have no leg to stand on when the warden gets you? Which he will, because if this cat sees you in there hunting he WILL call the warden on you. Or do you bail on the area in which case this cat will remove the bait, notice how well it’s piled up, and hunt there in peace without you around?
I love the way you think. I've played mind games with folks too.

@gcr0003, if i had pics like that I'd keep them to myself. Daytime pics of bucks like that in alabama tempt people like me to make long car rides.

Back