• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

So I checked my trail camera yesterday while scouting..

@gcr0003 - Ever heard of Camohide trail camera concealment systems? I haven't tried it yet, but it looks very interesting for concealing an expensive trail camera. I bet if you mount a no-flash trail camera up out of reach with this system, no-one will ever know it's there. A small business manufactures the concealment systems in South Africa, but they have a US distributor in Denver, CO. At the current exchange rate, their trail camera concealment systems cost about $24 USD. Check out just how good they conceal a camera:

Camohide Trail Camera Concealment System

Camohide Intro on YouTube

Camohide preparation

@gcr0003 - Ever heard of Camohide trail camera concealment systems? I haven't tried it yet, but it looks very interesting for concealing an expensive trail camera. I bet if you mount a no-flash trail camera up out of reach with this system, no-one will ever know it's there. A small business manufactures the concealment systems in South Africa, but they have a US distributor in Denver, CO. At the current exchange rate, their trail camera concealment systems cost about $24 USD. Check out just how good they conceal a camera:

Camohide Trail Camera Concealment System

Camohide Intro on YouTube

Camohide preparation
That’s neat but I’m running $18 Tasco‘s so even if they stole them I wouldn’t be too upset. On that YouTube video I couldn’t even see where the second camera with the camo was??

It's underneath the first one by a couple of feet. It's easier to identify on a full size computer screen. If you're looking at the video on tapatalk, it's really hard to spot, even though they're showing it to you.

BTW, I totally get that it's not worth the expense if you're running inexpensive cameras. Folks running expensive ones should take a look, though, especially if they'd rather be covert than use a camera security box.

maybe the dollar bill was so you could say you had a got a buck on your camera?

giphy.gif

Sent from parts unknown

And if he left a 20. It would mean 15 bucks on a camera. Because come on, atleast 5 of those bucks have to be duplicates...

And if he left a 20. It would mean 15 bucks on a camera. Because come on, atleast 5 of those bucks have to be duplicates...

I stopped putting cams in trees. 2 ways they will never be found find a log on the ground hear where you want to set up. they are never flat, always a rise in them somewhere. put the cam on the ground pointing up a little, pack w/ leaves and sticks. or put in front of flat log, hollow out a hole in ground but not so deep it covers lens, prop back against log. pack with leaves. BUT REMEMBER WHERE they are.lol. I have had a terrible time finding them

I stopped putting cams in trees. 2 ways they will never be found find a log on the ground hear where you want to set up. they are never flat, always a rise in them somewhere. put the cam on the ground pointing up a little, pack w/ leaves and sticks. or put in front of flat log, hollow out a hole in ground but not so deep it covers lens, prop back against log. pack with leaves. BUT REMEMBER WHERE they are.lol. I have had a terrible time finding them
Does it not rain there? Sounds like a good way to drown a camera, making a hole thatll hold water over the camera. I think the ground moisture here would hurt it lol

Breaking news in the Buck on a camera story.

@publiclandz and I went scouting by boat this morning. We got to the boat ramp and noticed a guy just launched. I noticed his badlands bag so I knew he wasnt fishing. He was walking at a frantic pace like he was trying to get out on the water quick. As I was backing up I yell to him, "gonna find the big bucks?" To which he replied, "gonna try."

As soon as he took off something felt off. Then he went the same way up the river as I was when I went to pull my camera and found a camera with corn and a buck on my camera. We decided to follow him because what are the chance that the days and times line up that I run into the guy messing with my camera on thousands of acreas of public land. We got up the slough and sure enough there he was.
1599781600628.png

He came down and asked if we had a camera up there. I told him not anymore. I asked if he was the one with the camera and bait up there. He said he was. I told him he wasn't going to find any pics on his camera because I turned it off. He got a little aggressive with his tone as he asked me what for. I told him I left his camera the same way he left mine... OFF. He tried to say that he didn't do that, he only left the dollar but I didn't buy that one bit. We got past that and talked a little more hunting. He tried to subtly ask, "do you know if it is legal to put corn out on public land." I told him it was not to which he replied, "well i figured it'd be gone by the time hunting season started anyway." I think he knew good and well what he was doing was illegal! I told him that I'd be hunting the area regardless of whether or not he was there or whether he had cameras out. He also added that he leased land across the way, but was still piddling around on public land. We left and rode up the river to another spot, by the time we got in the woods we saw his boat come by checking us out haha. No secrets spots on public land I guess.
We went another another spot and found some nice tracks and found another ladder stand and @publiclandz found his first shed ever which was also the first shed I have ever seen laying on the ground.
1599782010940.png
1599781573597.png1599781616070.png

I also set up another camera from the sky! well 10ft up. I used 50lb braid fishing line which was invisible on the tree. The camera could still be seen but only if someone walked all the way around the tree and looked up.
1599781972995.png1599781981958.png

We got back to the boat launch and the dude left the following note.
1599781547415.png

I contacted the guy and he seemed ok.

Last edited:
One thing I forgot to add was that he didn't even think about the joke "buck on your camera". He said he never thought of that. He said he didn't have anything to write on so he just left the dollar to let me know he was there and hoped I didn't steal his camera.

@gcr0003

The first words that come to mind (said in my best Southern drawl):

"Well I'll be."

"Maybe he is buying us off, maybe he is just being nice for messing with my stuff, you decide." - gcr0003

My guess is he's doing a little bit of both - he doesn't want you turning him in to the game warden or gossiping, and he doesn't want an enemy on that piece of public land, either.

Chalk it up as probably the best outcome you could've hoped for - no war brewing with someone else at one of your spots. I wouldn't trust the intel he provides you though, 'cause even honest guys don't give up good leads on nice deer unless they're working with a really good hunting buddy.

Does it not rain there? Sounds like a good way to drown a camera, making a hole thatll hold water over the camera. I think the ground moisture here would hurt it lol
I have never had a problem think of the size hol 2x3x1? I have lost more cams to thieves then moisture

Back