• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bibs or Pants?

High8

After dropping some serious coin on my saddle set up, bow its time to also up my outer layer. Think I am going to go with Sitka Stratus Jacket and pants or bibs. I'm generally not a bib guy, but was wondering what you guys prefer while in a saddle. My first season with my saddle so I lm in the dark.

I like pants simply because I overheat easily so I can leave my top layer off. Also, pants give me more flexibility and freedom of movement. With bibs I feel like I was always fidgeting with the straps because standing up the bibs were too loose, sitting down they were too tight. YMMV.

When it gets below about 50 degrees, I really prefer bibs. Mine zip all the way up each leg, so they’re very easy to stay cool in for short walks or put on easily (without removing my boots) at the stand if I carry them in. Also, bibs don’t let the small of your back get drafty like many pants/jackets do in a saddle, which keeps me warmer.

Maybe u should say ur normal temps.....I am down south so no insulated stuff.....I like bibs better for hunting....seem to get better airflow without having material tight around your waist....all bibs are not created equal....the side buttons on a pair I have end up directly on a pressure point from the saddle and dig into my hips and get painful rather quick...I like the mossy oak bibs....pants I just get whatever is at the local store

I went with the stratus bibs just because they had full length leg zippers, the pants did not.

I am in Western New York, right on Lake Ontario. So it does get pretty cold once November hits. I'm really looking for comfort as well as the warmth between the two in a saddle or is there really no difference between the two?

I like both. When I am going to be putting on extra layers in the tree,then it s pants. Here's something cheap to try:

Oversized camo fleece pajamas

You can pull them right over your boots because they are big and stretchy. If they are big enough, then you can pull them up over the bottom of your jacket. They pack down to nothing and weight nothing, but do add significant warmth (would be better if wind proof). Interestingly, when pulled up over rain pants they make them silent.

I have scentlok pants and coat but I personally prefer bibs if it’s colder than 45. I HATE having wind blow up my back.

Bibs for sure if it's cold and/or windy. I stay warmer in good bibs and a light jacket than I do in pants and a heavy coat.

When it gets below about 50 degrees, I really prefer bibs. Mine zip all the way up each leg, so they’re very easy to stay cool in for short walks or put on easily (without removing my boots) at the stand if I carry them in. Also, bibs don’t let the small of your back get drafty like many pants/jackets do in a saddle, which keeps me warmer.

Couldn’t agree more!

Bibs for me. No updraft and if it starts to warm up I can take my coat off and still have a layer around my core. I sat down to 40 last year with a Sitka mid weight core and a fanatic hoody with my fanatic bibs unzipped most of the time.

Back