• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Crossbow recommendation?

The Burner 415 wasn't an option 2 years ago when I bought the Ripper.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Any reasons you went with the ripper 415 instead of the burner 415? They are almost identical price.

I have a Parker and am looking at getting a backup crossbow. My dealer moved from Parker to Killer Instinct Crossbow after Parker closed up shop. So I am looking at the KI brand now.

The burner wasn't out when I bought mine

I got a killer instinct hero 380. Lightweight, and the kit it came with was perfect. I believe it was only $200 for everything except broadheads

7E3F0EA1-C939-456F-AE58-16186A594217.jpeg

Another vote for Excal. Mine is an old Ibex, it has an aluminum rail, the new ones have a carbon rail. But these are still 10 years old probably. Excal makes many much smaller than mine, 32" tip to tip uncocked.

You can make any crossbow way more accurate by putting a nice scope on it. Hawke makes some excellent speed-rated scopes and I got their xb-30 and put it on my Killer Instinct Ripper 415. The speed rated scope makes my holdover marks perfectly on target. I would feel comfortable with a 50 yard shot under the right conditions.

Whichever crossbow you purchase, make sure it has a crank on it. I think it will make a difference in the saddle/stand trying to reload it.

That being said, I have a Excal matrix 380 (love it). I am starting to crave a narrower Excal, but I've already invested in the matrix so I will stick with this.

Bought my daughter a cx off Amazon for $249. On her second yr and no issues. I won't let her shoot at the same dot inside 40yds. Keep in my its an xbow. The joy of shooting hundreds of arrows a day like a conventional bow just isn't there. My daughter enjoys it, but between me sighting it in and her practicing we probably haven't shot it 50 bolts in 2yrs. Its so easy to be accurate you get bored quickly and start backing up further and further. Anyway you can spend way more, but inside 40yds nothing will kill a deer deader than this one.

Whichever crossbow you purchase, make sure it has a crank on it. I think it will make a difference in the saddle/stand trying to reload it.

That being said, I have a Excal matrix 380 (love it). I am starting to crave a narrower Excal, but I've already invested in the matrix so I will stick with this.

I respectfully disagree. The crank might be handy, but I am able to saddle hunt effectively without a crank.

I respectfully disagree. The crank might be handy, but I am able to saddle hunt effectively without a crank.
I get it. I wouldn’t personally try to rope cock my matrix 380 from the saddle. Too many things can go wrong. But that’s just me.

Ya in a pinch I have recocked my Excal from the saddle it's not easy but not impossible.

I have had three crossbows. Horton Ultralight legend, Ten Point Shadow (sweet and narrow) and now the Excal TD assassin. I'll tell you a story...I was riding my Quietkat Ambush from my stand location. I was crossing a field and I must have hit a hidden furrow or gopher hole. Don't remember as I went flying over the handlebars. I landed on my right leg and my right knee locked up...(posted about it in deer hunting) anyway my pack and Excaliber was on my back. I landed on my back and excalibur bow...and it did not feel good. One of the reasons why I got the Excal was the abusive videos i saw. Anyway, I went home and other than my scope being dirty and having to slightly resite my scope the bow was still shooting bullets.

Reactions: MJH
Here is another Excaliber vote. I have a bull dog 380 and it shoots 380 fps with 100 gr points. DO NOT SHOOT AT THE SAME SPOT TWICE. You will ruin the first arrow. They are so simple to maintain and you can do it yourself. Unlike most cross bows you can uncock it using the cocking rope and not have to shoot it. Do a web search, look for deals because they are out there.

For the last two hunting seasons, I borrowed a crossbow from my friend, switching to gun as soon as the season would open up. A new lease allows shotgun or archery only, so I'm looking into purchasing one.

Here my question: Can anyone of you share your experience with a crossbow package from either ****'s, Cabela's and/or Sportsman Guide. I'm looking at a budget between 400 and 500$. Is buying more expensive making a major difference? Recommendations? Suggestions? Concerns?

Thanks in advance!
Try wicked ridge g3. Light and low cost. It does have a wide spread so you have to work getting limbs around tree.

If I wanted an Excalibur I would be looking at one of the takedowns. I would check out the hickory creek mini. I am a fan of the ultra narrow. Ten point, raven, and center point all make one. I ordered a centerpoint sniper for my son. For $229 it came with everything to broadheads. It can be decocked without discharging which is important to me. I’m not interested in having to carry a target every time we hunt. For me once you hit the $750 budget things get really cool but if spending less than that I wouldn’t spend more than $229.

I agree completely. I bought 2 centerpoint snipers for my 2 older kids to use about 3-4 years ago when they weren't big enough to consistenly shoot a compound accurately. I upgraded the arrows to some .001 Black Eagles that I found on sale, and that made them tack drivers. Bullseye all day long 40 yards and in. One of the best hunting investments I've ever made....

Maybe I should post this in the no shame thread, but I've even shot a couple of deer with them (after one of the youngins had already shot one and we were waiting to get down).

Back