• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Backup LB with WE Stepps

ericabbott

SH Member
I was looking for an alternate backup LB, since going to the rappel gear made using my tether too cumbersome. I remember Drew posting a video about hooking his bridge to the WE stepp in front of him so he could move his primary LB around a limb. Problem is I’m using an aider and my bridge doesn’t reach the stepp. So I rigged up a 35 mm Beal jammie in a prussic around my bridge and reuse the carabiner I’m using for my rappel autoblock. Tested it out today and it works pretty good. I can adjust the length of the jammie by adding or subtracting wraps if needed, or just adjust my bridge.

BF0758EC-72AB-4C45-99B6-B0BADFBA8F24.jpeg

Very interesting! I've been moving my tether up the tree as I climb for added safety, but now you have me thinking about some variation of your system instead. The gears are turning!

I was looking for an alternate backup LB, since going to the rappel gear made using my tether too cumbersome. I remember Drew posting a video about hooking his bridge to the WE stepp in front of him so he could move his primary LB around a limb. Problem is I’m using an aider and my bridge doesn’t reach the stepp. So I rigged up a 35 mm Beal jammie in a prussic around my bridge and reuse the carabiner I’m using for my rappel autoblock. Tested it out today and it works pretty good. I can adjust the length of the jammie by adding or subtracting wraps if needed, or just adjust my bridge.

View attachment 34579
Are you climbing with the K/S and if so does the added hook up on the step interfere at all?

I'm using a 3 step aider. I'm only hooking up long enough to move my primary LB around a branch, I'm not climbing with this backup hooked up.

Would like to see a video of someone using a three step aider with the wild edge steps.I am not a big fan of aiders but that method is really interesting to me.

Would like to see a video of someone using a three step aider with the wild edge steps.I am not a big fan of aiders but that method is really interesting to me.
I’ll try to put one together this weekend. It’s not a perfect method by any means, definitely takes some practice to get comfortable with it. And it’s not great one severely leaning trees.

IMO for that particular usage it's functioning like a short tether, with the upside being you don't need to go around the tree with it, so you don't have to girth hitch every time you pass a branch. The fact that it hooks to the step and it's not around the tree isn't really an issue because the weight on the system is minimal. It's more for stability. Consider it your third point of contact. If your familiar with the WE step you know that they are built tough and they go on solid if you know what your doing.

IMO for that particular usage it's functioning like a short tether, with the upside being you don't need to go around the tree with it, so you don't have to girth hitch every time you pass a branch. The fact that it hooks to the step and it's not around the tree isn't really an issue because the weight on the system is minimal. It's more for stability. Consider it your third point of contact. If your familiar with the WE step you know that they are built tough and they go on solid if you know what your doing.
Exactly, as long as the stepp is above your bridge shouldn't be an issue, since you're pulling down on the stepp.

I agree completely. But, the step you're hooking on to better be cammed over better than good and solid since, if even for just a few seconds, it is your life support. I am intrigued by this since I climb with LB and tether for safety. But moving the tether, especially if passing limbs, is a bit of a pain. I may still try this out for that reason.

I finally got around to making a video of the multi-step aider with the WE stepps. I got a little sloppy with the LB on the climb, usually keep it above my belt. The key for climbing with an aider is to take the slack out before putting your foot against the tree.

If I were to encounter a branch that I needed to climb over, I would use the prussic attached to my bridge to clip into the next stepp, move my LB, unhook the prussic, then continue climbing.

Back