• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Golden Rules of Saddle Hunting

Always have stopper knots on all tethers or lineman's lanyards or better yet attach the main rope back to your saddle so that if the hitch fails then you stay attached.

Slow down and take your time with the mess of ropes before you. Always consider your order of operations and the consequences of detaching a rope.

(here's a silver rule: in case things go sideways, keep these items on your person (not in pack): spare headlamp, small folding knife, cell phone/communication device)

edit: always tell someone where you are hunting and when to get worried (as far as time).

edit: silver rule: probably a good idea to tie a temporary stopper knot right below your maximum tether length once you are set up. that way you will only slide down a few inches if your hitch/ascender fails, I always did this as a stand hunter with my safety line...just used an overhand pulled tight

That's a good one...

I'll add a couple:
-practice in the dark or with your eyes shut. Get a feel for your equipment and how it works. Should your light source fail you need a plan.
-don't cut corners or buy that cheap piece of equipment. Your life literally depends on your gear.
-plan your work and work your plan. Build a step by step process in your mind and work it every time.
-smooth is fast.
Carry multiple lights, even the little keychain ones can help and don't weigh anything. I don't even go on a day hunt without 3.

How about:

* Hands off of the prusik knot while it's loaded. (If you are using a conventional prusik/tether)

I know someone (newbie trained by a newbie) who tried to pull himself up by grabbing the prusik and ended up sliding down to the end of their tether, unable to get back up onto his single stick. He had no backup plan to get down and dangled there until someone came by and helped him.

• Inspect you gear! just because it's rated doesn't mean it's right.
    • wesspur-inspection.jpg
  • Manual locking carabiners - screw them down so you don't screw up.
    • this applies to both screwing the lock down and ideally the opening of the gate should be lower than the hinge so unscrewing the gate also fights gravity, not as big a deal saddle hunting as it is in applications where the carabiner is being vibrated or rubbed against and could more easily unscrew.
  • Don't tie in to anything dead, or smaller than your forearm.
  • Don't climb above your tie-in.

Carry multiple lights, even the little keychain ones can help and don't weigh anything. I don't even go on a day hunt without 3.

I was rifle hunting once and I clicked my light on in my bag and it ran dead (I now only run lights where I can lock it out or I unscrew the cap so it can't make contact). One of those little 1 dollar disposable walmart lights saved my butt. I was a few miles in and it was dark.

Watching this thread and thanks everyone for posting. Answered some of my questions and opened my eyes to some things I never thought of.

Can someone link a good self rescue thread? This is one thing I’m completely green to.

Also tips on checking carabiner lock and rope position in dark?

We are having a lot of oak trees die that months ago were healthy. Once fall comes there is no way to tell the two apart.

Guys keep safe. Another nasty injury posted on the facebook groups today.

Practice - and this goes quadruple for anything modded, DIY, or in any way nonstandard!

Inspect your gear. Pay attention to any knots, stitching, wear areas, etc. If you're using a knot that can creep (e.g. webbing bridge guys), check your tails EVERY TIME.

Tie stopper knots! They can save your life!

Don't go sketchy to save 2 ounces.

Use your ropes. Don't get complacent. Don't skimp on using your LMB and tether. Remember that a LMB is not really fall protection. It's a positioning, work, and balance aid that relies on you to keep tension on it.

Tether in before trusting a platform.

The injuries I've seen have been lucky. They fell a couple of feet on a lmb, and it managed to catch (after they impaled themselves on sticks and still ended up hospitalized). So maybe the LMB saved their lives, but not from serious injury.

And these weren't exotic, risky climbing methods either. A platform failed on transition (mislooped on versa button). A stick kicked out.

Keep alert, keep safe, don't get complacent all.

Send someone your GPS coordinates before you climb any tree. Partner, friend, land owner, someone.
i do this EVERY TIME i get to a tree before climbing, and to go with that carry a whistle. yelling in the woods doesn't carry as well as you would think, and it takes a lot less effort to blow into a whistle.

ive been seeing this a ton on the fb pages lately. DONT buy your saddle and equipment the day of the season and expect to be able to just get in a tree, buy early and put in the time practicing well before the season. you should have everything pretty much locked down by july minimum, and continue to practice afterwards

i do this EVERY TIME i get to a tree before climbing, and to go with that carry a whistle. yelling in the woods doesn't carry as well as you would think, and it takes a lot less effort to blow into a whistle.
Great idea on the whistle. We have one for our boat in case we get in trouble, but never thought about bringing one in the woods. Will add that to my pack TODAY.

Great idea on the whistle. We have one for our boat in case we get in trouble, but never thought about bringing one in the woods. Will add that to my pack TODAY.
ive carried one for a few years now, just picked upa new one from EWO actually. i looked at my old one and it was gummed up with stuff from sitting in a pack forever

When passing a branch, use your tether as either a tether or second lineman's, or invest in a third rope to dedicate for that purpose. When using a second lineman's belt, attach the carabiner to the opposite loop that your normal is connected to. This forces you to think about exactly which one you are disconnecting and why.

As others have said, slow is smooth; smooth is fast.

PCCs, PCIs, checklists and AARs.

Keep a hunting journal and not down notes after each hunt. The obvious (weather, location, what you saw, sign, etc) but also what worked well and what didn't. Refer back to this before each hunt and adjust accordingly.

Oh, one other: pack your pack exactly the same each time: put stuff in in the same order every time; if you always put your release in your right pants cargo pocket, always put your release there. Put stuff in your pack in the opposite order you use it, so the first and most frequently used gear is at the top. Same with syshaulers, ropes, etc.

My first time out this year I didn't even make it from the truck because I didn't have my haul rope stowed right. First off I was using paracord as haul ropes. Well to say the least when I did the gear check at the truck at 4am disaster. They were tangled in knots. I messed with it for a hour with no luck. Next time I looked up Grey light was out and I had a 1.5 hour walk in. I was mature about it and just canceld the hunt instead of trying something stupid. That night I went home and re packed my pack as mentioned above in the order of need. Then the night before my next hunt into the drive way and did a dry run, complete with getting dressed for a walk in. I still found some things I could improved upon and some pitfalls to avoid. The next morning when I went out flawless I didn't see anything but my love of the saddle grew. I even got buzzed by a hawk. I agree with everything above. Practice, go SLOW and have a solid plan. I got my set up in July and have been practicing all summer. Good luck to everyone out there and stay SAFE.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My first time out this year I didn't even make it from the truck because I didn't have my haul rope stowed right. First off I was using paracord as haul ropes. Well to say the least when I did the gear check at the truck at 4am disaster. They were tangled in knots. I messed with it for a hour with no luck. Next time I looked up Grey light was out and I had a 1.5 hour walk in. I was mature about it and just canceld the hunt instead of trying something stupid. That night I went home and re packed my pack as mentioned above in the order of need. Then the night before my next hunt into the drive way and did a dry run, complete with getting dressed for a walk in. I still found some things I could improved upon and some pitfalls to avoid. The next morning when I went out flawless I didn't see anything but my love of the saddle grew. I even got buzzed by a hawk. I agree with everything above. Practice, go SLOW and have a solid plan. I got my set up in July and have been practicing all summer. Good luck to everyone out there and stay SAFE.

Figure 8 wind your paracord around your thumb and pinky. Save the last 6 inches of it to wrap around the middle so it doesn't unwind. Good to go every time.

I would suggest going in in daylight the first few times until you find out what the problem of the day will be. Sometimes it will be the same problem every day.

Back