• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Facebook Fall Part 2

Just when I was thinking of getting rid of my heavy LB and Tether that came with my H2....I think I can live with it now.

What's your heavy rope rated for? What have you learned here that makes you think your risk of it breaking is any lower than it would be with oplux?

All else being equal, thicker rope is better.

You can't save much weight on a tether or LB by going to thinner rope since they are so short. On 40 feet of rope, it becomes significant.

I would try a hair dryer on heatshrink for this application and then if that didn't work maybe a heat gun....but a torch???? I don't think I would. On second thought I wouldn't use heat shrink on UHMPE. Let it fray. Or tape.
Nothing wrong with heatshrink at the ends imo (which you don't load anyway).

All else being equal, thicker rope is better.

You can't save much weight on a tether or LB by going to thinner rope since they are so short. On 40 feet of rope, it becomes significant.

What does better mean?

I predict that said "snapped" tether picture never happens....I don't have a scale so I can't check myself but I be interested to see someone put a scale between tether and bridge and see what the reading are compared to normal body weight....if I weight 180 what would the scale read in the leaning position, seated position, etc....

I would almost guarantee it was a suicide knot but wow hope he recovers quickly.
I think most likely you are right. It is so easy to make that knot wrong, clip a carabiner in it and call it good.

I predict that said "snapped" tether picture never happens....I don't have a scale so I can't check myself but I be interested to see someone put a scale between tether and bridge and see what the reading are compared to normal body weight....if I weight 180 what would the scale read in the leaning position, seated position, etc....

Likely true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Can you describe this (the pinch test) and what you're looking for? For a civilian like me....
Sure. Basically you pinch the rope to make a small bite and if you see a flat spot in the bite the core of the rope is damaged. It sounds tedious to do that over the length of the rope, but it really is not. We would do 300 feet of rope in a few minutes.

Back