• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rappeling Setup

jacob1995

Anybody have a link to what all is needed for a one stick up/rappel down setup? Or a video?

Anybody have a link to what all is needed for a one stick up/rappel down setup? Or a video?

This video is pretty good. I’ve also often done it with a figure 8 and a friction hitch. Multiple multiple times. The safeguard is great. I’ve been using the lifeguard lately and it’s fine too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So here's the list I've come up with so far.
40' Oplux
Quick link
Some sort of pouch to hold the rappel rope.

What are your guys recommendations on a belay device? Is it worth purchasing a Madrock Safeguard/GriGri or does an ATC work just as well?

So here's the list I've come up with so far.
40' Oplux
Quick link
Some sort of pouch to hold the rappel rope.

What are your guys recommendations on a belay device? Is it worth purchasing a Madrock Safeguard/GriGri or does an ATC work just as well?

I have an ATC coming but have rappelled four times so far this season using a figure 8 on rescuetech 8mm, and it worked just fine for my purposes. I have TRC with a schwabisch hitch as my tether, i move that down as my autoblock and clip bridge to the figure eight above that, works good.

I use the Grivel Master Mono Belay with a Beal Jammy as an autoblock

I've got 8mm rope, a Beal Birdie (looking for a Safeguard), a Petzl quick link, some more paracord on the way. Hoping I can try out one sticking this weekend.

I don’t one stick but I rappel down. I used a atc and an autoblock last year and liked it. I then got a safeguard and really like it. But I feel it’s like many things where as we’re chasing that big difference that is more like a 10% or so difference. If you have the money the safeguard is nice. If you want to try it without spending the cash you’re not missing such a difference with an atc and autoblock.

Another question, would hooking my paracord pull down rope to the quick link with a small carabiner work or should I hook it right behind the knot and quick link to the actual rope?

Switched to the 1-stick/Rappel method this year. For budget sake when learning I used a figure-8 with a Schwabisch Hitch backup. It worked great. The main reason I switched to the Safeguard is that I didn’t wanted to have the rappel device attached at all times in case I needed to rappel down at any point during the climb. Say for example a step broke, stick kicked out, etc. I just have to simply grab the lever, drop the rappel rope, and head down.

For me the Safeguard was well worth the price.

Don't hook to the link. Hook to the rope that threads through the link (not the knot side)
No, I hook to the rope side that is tied to the delta link. That way the delta link comes down first and doesn't have the chance of getting hung in the tree limb notch. If it is over a limb

No, I hook to the rope side that is tied to the delta link. That way the delta link comes down first and doesn't have the chance of getting hung in the tree limb notch. If it is over a limb
The drawback there is rope friction in getting it to loosen in the first place.

Yeah I thought that was the logic behind hooking it knot side.

It is sometimes harder to get started if you hook directly to the link, but in my experience, it’s less likely to get totally stuck and necessitate the climb of shame.

It is sometimes harder to get started if you hook directly to the link, but in my experience, it’s less likely to get totally stuck and necessitate the climb of shame.
Ive been hooking behind the link and have had to fight every time. Sure wish it just fell like the cool videos on youtube. lol

Yes, But I have had the delta link get stuck in the V-notch of the tree and had to climb the tree again to get it loose. I can usually work the rappel rope and the pull down rope to over come the friction, but can't over come a stuck delta link.

Back