• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lone Wolf Hand Climber cracked

RickSevo

I bought a Lone Wolf Hand Climber and have hunted four times with it.

I weigh 295lbs. Roughly 310 with gear.

I strapped the climber to tree with a ratchet strap for added stability.

Yesterday while hunting I felt a *ping* sensation and thought it was the bark on the tree cracking or giving way. I was simply switching positions.

After climbing out of the set I inspected the climber and found a crack on the edge of the seat away from the tree. I would have never guessed it would fail at the that point.

I guess I pushed it to it's limits and wanted others to be aware. I'm not sure if I just got a weak/defective seat or what but I assume it would be outside warranty as I don't use it as a seat.
ee5d70ebabb4d1b62bf997ca975f7096.jpg
d3fa891bed79eee13fabb725dbfaafad.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I had one completely snap going down tree . My tether was high so it left me hanging . I had a line man rope on too so I was able to free my self after twenty mins . I basically had to do a one hand pull-up on my tether to loose my mantis leg straps enough to relieve the pressure . It was killing me couldn’t get a good breath . The tether was too high and the rope man was not moving because of the tension . Once I loosened the leg straps I was able to loosen the mantis buckle enough to unlatch it . I still had lineman rope to keep me to tree. I was able them to undo the carbiener from my bridge and shimmy down the tree using lineman rope

I had one completely snap going down tree . My tether was high so it left me hanging . I had a line man rope on too so I was able to free my self after twenty mins . I basically had to do a one hand pull-up on my tether to loose my mantis leg straps enough to relieve the pressure . It was killing me couldn’t get a good breath . The tether was too high and the rope man was not moving because of the tension . Once I loosened the leg straps I was able to loosen the mantis buckle enough to unlatch it . I still had lineman rope to keep me to tree. I was able them to undo the carbiener from my bridge and shimmy down the tree using lineman rope
Yikes!

I called Lone Wolf and they sent out a new one right away. Amazing service.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Could you not use your linesman’s as a one step aider further to the tree?

I bought a Lone Wolf Hand Climber and have hunted four times with it.

I weigh 295lbs. Roughly 310 with gear.

I strapped the climber to tree with a ratchet strap for added stability.

Yesterday while hunting I felt a *ping* sensation and thought it was the bark on the tree cracking or giving way. I was simply switching positions.

After climbing out of the set I inspected the climber and found a crack on the edge of the seat away from the tree. I would have never guessed it would fail at the that point.

I guess I pushed it to it's limits and wanted others to be aware. I'm not sure if I just got a weak/defective seat or what but I assume it would be outside warranty as I don't use it as a seat.
ee5d70ebabb4d1b62bf997ca975f7096.jpg
d3fa891bed79eee13fabb725dbfaafad.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Are you using the seat as a platform for saddle hunting or as a seat with the other half of the LW system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was using it as a platform for saddle hunting. The replacement they sent me worked great but I decided sticks and platform were a better option for me.

I was using it as a platform for saddle hunting. The replacement they sent me worked great but I decided sticks and platform were a better option for me.

So, are you selling it? Lol

I had this same exact crack on mine last week.
I figured I would JB Weld it and keep using it for the year.
So, maybe I’ll call lone wolf to see if I can get a replacement cast piece.
I did the bolt mod, and traded on SH for it, so I’m positive there is no warranty.

I'd give them a call. They were great to me.

Out of curiosity did you tell them how you were using it and they still replaced it? That is good news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly they didn't even ask what happened. I told them where it cracked on the edge and they were like oh man that sucks we will send a new one.

Kinda shady since you aren’t using it for it’s designed purpose. But whatever floats your boat.
I suppose you're right. I'd also point out after receiving the amazing customer service I will buy their products over others. I will also sit here and give a truthful review of my experience with their company. Maybe that is there goal. No question replacements and people will talk up their customer service.

I suppose you're right. I'd also point out after receiving the amazing customer service I will buy their products over others. I will also sit here and give a truthful review of my experience with their company. Maybe that is there goal. No question replacements and people will talk up their customer service.

I had one of the arms on the seat portion break 7 years ago.

They also took care of me with a whole new seat portion no questions asked. I’ll add, the stand was probably around 20 years old when it broke and they still took care of me.

I tell ya, i don’t think anyone else in the industry is going to do that and they definitely earned my repeat business as they did with you.

Good to hear lw helped you guys out no questions asked. Intended purpose or not, they decide what their replacement policy and business strategy is. Nothing shady about asking if theyd replace

For the record, the LWHC is 100% made to climb with, but it may not be engineered to take the weight distribution from feet standing on it vs. arms & elbows as designed, and especially for bigger guys. I am using one and I understand the potential risk and mitigate it by tethering in with little slack the entire climb on my rappel rope. I would say the risk here is no more, and probably less than a stick kickout, as an example. All methods off the ground have risks, choose your particular tolerance level and go for it.

For the record, the LWHC is 100% made to climb with, but it may not be engineered to take the weight distribution from feet standing on it vs. arms & elbows as designed, and especially for bigger guys. I am using one and I understand the potential risk and mitigate it by tethering in with little slack the entire climb on my rappel rope. I would say the risk here is no more, and probably less than a stick kickout, as an example. All methods off the ground have risks, choose your particular tolerance level and go for it.
i agree completely. i'm pushing 290 and have climbed a few times with mine. purchase from someone already bolt modded. i assume the risk.
for my next hunt i'm going to carry a stick to stand on while i secure the lwhc at hunting height.

Back