• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Oplux with TRC distel hitch: how many top wraps do you use for tether or linemans?

Oplux with TRC distel hitch, how many wraps above (see video for what I call 4 wraps)?

Votes: 1 16.7%

Votes: 3 50.0%

Votes: 2 33.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

raisins

SH Member
I originally did what I think is called 4 over 1.

It is shown here exactly to let you judge whether you call this 5 over 1 or 4 over 1 (depends upon whether you count the first wrap that goes diagonal or not, I guess).

It didn't slip at ground level (that I noticed), but first time in a tree it slowly started to slide. So, I put on my linemans and added another wrap in the woods and it held. I did the same later to my linemans because I can some times be a fool for consistency.

Now that I've hunted all season with this, it really grabs to the point where it is hard to tend.

After the rope and knot are "worked in", what has everyone using this popular combo settled on? I weight 180 lbs, so my weight in the saddle is probably around 190 lbs with clothing and gear.

I'll probably remove a wrap and try it again after season, but I don't want any surprises. I would rather have it grab a little too much than be marginal.

Thanks

Back