• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

amsteel prusic loop

kenn1320

Anyone know what length loop is needed to do the schwabisch hitch on each side of a rope bridge to saddle connection?

I think these were 31" 3 wrap prussic on rope 2 wrap prussic on bridge loops.

Attachments

• 20201108_151600_copy_2312x1734.jpg
    20201108_151600_copy_2312x1734.jpg
    425 KB · Views: 107
I’ve made the double-prussik style of bridge for 8 different saddles and it may sound a little anal but the thickness of the bridge loops and diameter of the bridge rope matters. For medium bridge loops and rope, 3 wraps on loop and bridge, 21” continuous loop is good. Make the continuous loop longer or shorter depending on your setup and if you want 1, 2 or 3 wraps on the bridge loops. I would not go less than 3 wraps on the bridge itself.

Mock it up with similar diameter cord tied in a loop if you have some lying around to see what a good length would be before you splice the continuous loop. I can tell you from experience that trying to get a too short loop onto a too thick bridge/tether is a PITA!!!

This is the style Im looking to do. I see in the comments he says 13" loops. Drew you mention 21" loop, are you measuring pulled tight, or around the entire loop?
triad bridge

This is the style Im looking to do. I see in the comments he says 13" loops. Drew you mention 21" loop, are you measuring pulled tight, or around the entire loop?
triad bridge

Ok, 21” is for the Cruzr style Amstel bridge with prussiks on both the bridge loop and bridge. The triad bridge that you linked has fewer wraps on the bridge plus uses Oplux which is smaller diameter. If you want the triad style and use same or similar diameter bridge and bridge loops, then use the 13” loop as shown in the video.

For anyone looking to possibly do this, here is some info. Im using 1/4" amsteel for the loops and oplux for my bridge. I used 48.5" of amsteel, 1" taper on each end, 5" of bury and .5" offset on first hole for locked brummel splice. This gives me 15.5" loop, which works nicely for this application. I believe the saddle companys are using 3/16" for this along with 1/4" full bury for the bridge.

For anyone looking to possibly do this, here is some info. Im using 1/4" amsteel for the loops and oplux for my bridge. I used 48.5" of amsteel, 1" taper on each end, 5" of bury and .5" offset on first hole for locked brummel splice. This gives me 15.5" loop, which works nicely for this application. I believe the saddle companys are using 3/16" for this along with 1/4" full bury for the bridge.
I don’t think it was a locked brummel if there was only a pass through the cord and then the tail was buried for each end.
If it was a locked brummel, you won’t be able to pull the two ends apart before the buries. You might not have enough bury if this is the case.

I don’t think it was a locked brummel if there was only a pass through the cord and then the tail was buried for each end.
If it was a locked brummel, you won’t be able to pull the two ends apart before the buries. You might not have enough bury if this is the case.
I did a locked brummel.

Which braid do you use for the rebraiding of the locked brummels on an end to end splice, just want to be clear we talking about the same thing, since your reply was a single brummel?

Have a nice day! Thanks for video, that’s the offset type I guess it might be called. I was thinking of a more complicated splice that gives a smoother result. It involves doing a locked brummel with each end by unbraiding and rebraiding the tails.

Last edited:
Back