• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ironic interference from the universe.

cartman

Tuesday: Was checking the maps and weather for a spot I have been wanting to hit before the end of the season.
I notice that Wednesday the weather is perfect. I ask the boss for Wednesday off (tomorrow) and being awesome she OK'd it.

Wednesday: 4:00 am Drinking coffee, eating breakfast, and was about to shower and head out to the spot. When I get a Phone call from my buddy David.
David: "Hey man, are you in the woods yet?"
Cartman: "Nope was going to be leaving here in a few mins."
David: "Well I am going to need you to pick me up... I am sitting in the back of a State Troopers car"
Cartman "What?"
David: "I hit a deer..."

By the time I got to the wreck, got a wrecker to tow the car, and got him home it was 7 am...
My spot was an hour's drive and I wanted to sneak in close to a bedding area before sunrise.

That was the day that my buddy hitting a deer ruined my deer hunt.

Anyone else got some stories where divine intervention comes knocking and spoils your hunt?

Tuesday: Was checking the maps and weather for a spot I have been wanting to hit before the end of the season.
I notice that Wednesday the weather is perfect. I ask the boss for Wednesday off (tomorrow) and being awesome she OK'd it.

Wednesday: 4:00 am Drinking coffee, eating breakfast, and was about to shower and head out to the spot. When I get a Phone call from my buddy David.
David: "Hey man, are you in the woods yet?"
Cartman: "Nope was going to be leaving here in a few mins."
David: "Well I am going to need you to pick me up... I am sitting in the back of a State Troopers car"
Cartman "What?"
David: "I hit a deer..."

By the time I got to the wreck, got a wrecker to tow the car, and got him home it was 7 am...
My spot was an hour's drive and I wanted to sneak in close to a bedding area before sunrise.

That was the day that my buddy hitting a deer ruined my deer hunt.

Anyone else got some stories where divine intervention comes knocking and spoils your hunt?
That sucks, your buddy was headed to the woods to hunt too? Glad he was ok. Being there for your friends is more important than deer hunting.

From the TMI I’ve read, divine intervention in the form of having to poo ruins all of @Jwiggins762 s hunts. It ruins about 1/3 of mine.

That sucks, your buddy was headed to the woods to hunt too? Glad he was ok. Being there for your friends is more important than deer hunting.

From the TMI I’ve read, divine intervention in the form of having to poo ruins all of @Jwiggins762 s hunts. It ruins about 1/3 of mine.
Absolutely. There will always be other days to hunt.

My buddy was actually coming back from work. He works the night shift.
He just knew I was hunting that morning and I was one of the few people that were awake at the time. : )

I usually try to wake up extra early and drink my coffee right away to help coax that poo out before my saddle is on.
I know they may look like diapers!

A deer hunting poo 20ft up is inconvenient.

A duck hunting poo 5 miles from dry ground in water-impermeable overalls that go up to your nippers while standing in waist deep water is enough to break a man's mind.

Me and four buddies did a real nice central Ohio lease 2017,18,19... each of these seasons were the most money, driving miles, maybe calories I’ve ever dumped into hunting. First trip out there we put some corn and sweet feed on the ground, immediately got a nice ten on cam, called him Candyman, and hunted our butts off trying to figure him out. He was a step ahead the entire time, he’d exhaust us all and it felt futile.

Peak rut 2018 two of us had driven down from Cleveland and camped at a state park, woke up one morning and buddy couldn’t find his cell phone; we searched awhile finally found it, went into the woods an hour later than I’d like.

I get to a tree in an area he had been spotted the day before, I’m setting sticks as I climb, and just as I get the last stick set Candyman walks by me slowly at 7 yards broadside. It was heartbreaking but I thought well at least I’ve got a GoPro on my forehead so I’ll have the memory; batteries were dead.

Damn that cellphone. Later that season same guy shot over his back with a muzzleloader. Candyman picked off another guy in a tree and he couldn’t draw his bow. We never got him.
7a45b8a766348b3623812dbedac0062f.jpg

A duck hunting poo 5 miles from dry ground in water-impermeable overalls that go up to your nippers while standing in waist deep water is enough to break a man's mind.
True, but there is NOTHING that pulls in ducks like a big, bare hiney shining to high heaven about 20 yards past the decoys! I'll never forget seeing my duck hunting mentor wailing away on his call mid-poo to try to get some ducks to finish for me on a youth hunt--that was close to 20 years ago, and we can still laugh about it like it was yesterday.

Gotta find a blow down! Just be sure to check for moccasins before climbing.

My dad did some work at a waste water treatment plant. Ducks liked to frequent the holding ponds. Lost all desire to shoot a duck after that..

I shot at the buck of my life this year. My broad head was loose from going in and out of my quiver for a month and a half. BH flew off and my arrow sailed low and stuck into the ground wit the arrow tip chalk full of dirt.

I assume there was some divine intervention for the buck! That will never happen again for me.

I shot at the buck of my life this year. My broad head was loose from going in and out of my quiver for a month and a half. BH flew off and my arrow sailed low and stuck into the ground wit the arrow tip chalk full of dirt.

I assume there was some divine intervention for the buck! That will never happen again for me.
I compulsively check to make sure my broadhead is screwed on before I nock my arrow each hunt, and I’ve always wondered if I’m obsessing over a non-issue. This actually makes me feel better about it! (Hate that for you though—ugh!)

Back