• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Thinking about getting into saddle hunting

MikeA

Hi all. I'm a 64 year old from NJ. Live near Clinton, NJ. Been thinking about getting into saddle hunting. Like the concept but have concerns. Is this too much for someone of my age? Also, would love to try before I buy. Any help would be appreciated. Stay safe all

Quite a few guys on here that are older than you. Check the SH map and you should be able to find someone close to you that is willing to let you try there gear out. Welcome to the site.

You're a middle aged squirrel, go for it! Great group here, you will get all the help you want.

I'm 55 and this is my first year. I'm in good shape so that may make a difference. Physically, I find it less or equally demanding as compared with putting up a hang-on stand or lugging around a heavy ladder stand or a climbing stand. I use treehopper's hand drill and bolts for climbing which is about the same effort as using screw-in steps if you have ever used those. I think some of the other climbing techniques used by other saddle hunters can be more physically demanding and technical, so that could be an important decision to make on which climbing method you use.

Welcome. Hunterdon county is some good hunting.
Try it . You can get a nice set up off classifieds and resell if its not for you.

I want to thank you all. You have given me a lot to think about. I realize that initially it's a big investment which is why I posted my question. I already have the climbing sticks. I have been using XOP's for a couple of years now. I will definitely look at the map and see if someone would allow me to look at and try their saddle. Thank you all again.

Without even going to the extremes to cut weight, it's a very manageable system to tote into the woods. Just the other day I dove into a place I'd never been before. I found a funky oak tree with 5 trunks, and used one stick to climb up into the middle of it and set my platform. I can't think of another hunting method that gives you that much flexibility. If you're on the fence, picture yourself 10' up in a tree instead of being on the ground. If you let all the talk about rapelling and one sticking get in your head you'll start to think this is only for the most hardened hunters, but that's not true. It's totally flexible.

I would suggest find a piece of fleece and making your own fleece saddle and standing on ground level. I literally just nail 2x4 and a piece of plywood the size of a platform at the trunk of a tree. You can use safety harness that come with any tree stand as a tether, cut pieces from it to make bridges etc, good knots even with webbing will do fine even if you dont have a sewing machine. If you just want to understand the principle and mechanic of saddle hunting, that is the cheapest way to go. Then if you feel comfortable, I suggest the TreeHopper Recon Sling.

Welcome and I started saddle hunting because I have had 4 back surgeries and hunting from a treestand was very uncomfortable and I have had very positive results with the saddle! Good luck and stay safe!!

I would suggest find a piece of fleece and making your own fleece saddle and standing on ground level. I literally just nail 2x4 and a piece of plywood the size of a platform at the trunk of a tree. You can use safety harness that come with any tree stand as a tether, cut pieces from it to make bridges etc, good knots even with webbing will do fine even if you dont have a sewing machine. If you just want to understand the principle and mechanic of saddle hunting, that is the cheapest way to go. Then if you feel comfortable, I suggest the TreeHopper Recon Sling.
At ground level it wouldn't be difficult to fashion a bridge onto the lineman loops of any traditional treestand harness, right? I've never tried it but I feel like that would be a pretty accurate example too...

At ground level it wouldn't be difficult to fashion a bridge onto the lineman loops of any traditional treestand harness, right? I've never tried it but I feel like that would be a pretty accurate example too...

Yes. I personally dont see the differences, but one of the main reason why saddles have dedicated lineman loops and bridge loop is because of how weight is distributed. a well desided bridge loops spread the load evenly while the lineman loop pull against your belt line and people like how it feel while hanging sticks. Giving people options is always a good business model.

i am 64 also just started saddle hunting this year my advise is go for it best thing i ever did just picked up a pair of climb rite climbing spikes for private land and climbing sticks for public land.

Back