• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Predator Cracked

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would bet the failure is due to the low tolerance with the bolt and casting...that little bit of wiggle, wiggled couple thousand times leads to cracking....like an exhaust manifold...that why I was thinking the threaded insert installed with loctit in the casting and then the thread wiggle would be on steel vs cast aluminum....
I was thinking an insert positioned closer to the center of the frame was what you were thinking. It would be more difficult to drill an offset hole toward the middle.

I received an email from Tethrd. I told them that I received mine in September 2020 and that I was concerned about an off center bolt and recently cracking platforms. They said it was only recent castings affected, so I guess September 2020 isn't recent enough. I was able to read my casting marks it is 0822 and then can't read, but I'm assuming 20 (for 2020). They said if I have an issue that they will replace it.

I was thinking an insert positioned closer to the center of the frame was what you were thinking. It would be more difficult to drill an offset hole toward the middle.

They could modify the casting so that that area of the platform is wider (1.5" instead of 1" for instance), to give it more beef around the bolt. Mine has 0.5 inches of metal between bolt edge and top platform and only 0.2 inches between bolt edge and bottom of platform.

It isn't machined, so they wouldn't have to start with a thicker piece of material and waste more. They would have to make new molds though. With sand casting, they would just need a new "master" (whatever it is called), right? Also, if they change the molds, then a lot of people would want to send in their old platform and exchange for the newer one, which would cause them a huge expense.

I received an email from Tethrd. I told them that I received mine in September 2020 and that I was concerned about an off center bolt and recently cracking platforms. They said it was only recent castings affected, so I guess September 2020 isn't recent enough. I was able to read my casting marks it is 0822 and then can't read, but I'm assuming 20 (for 2020). They said if I have an issue that they will replace it.

That’s piss-poor. They know the off-center drilling is an issue.

Semper Fi,
Mike
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try taking a piece of paper and rubbing a pencil over the serial #. Frottage.

They could modify the casting so that that area of the platform is wider (1.5" instead of 1" for instance), to give it more beef around the bolt. Mine has 0.5 inches of metal between bolt edge and top platform and only 0.2 inches between bolt edge and bottom of platform.

It isn't machined, so they wouldn't have to start with a thicker piece of material and waste more. They would have to make new molds though. With sand casting, they would just need a new "master" (whatever it is called), right? Also, if they change the molds, then a lot of people would want to send in their old platform and exchange for the newer one, which would cause them a huge expense.
I don't know much about sand casting but that sounds about right.

Not a surprising response...seems par for the course. Pretty ****ty quality control and even ****tier follow up customer service. I'd be ashamed to run it like that. Maybe money eclipses decency and care for your fellow saddle hunters?? Sad because this site was so close knit and everyone watched out for each other...
Best of luck to you all, hopefully there are no further issues or INJURIES

Not a surprising response...seems par for the course. Pretty ****ty quality control and even ****tier follow up customer service. I'd be ashamed to run it like that. Maybe money eclipses decency and care for your fellow saddle hunters?? Sad because this site was so close knit and everyone watched out for each other...
Best of luck to you all, hopefully there are no further issues or INJURIES

This might be as designed. People are chiming in that their older models have the same off center bolt hole. Given how the forces would try to rotate that bolt, having extra up top might make sense. I'd prefer the whole area being beefed up around that hole though and then center it with at least 0.5 inches on both sides of the bolt.

Last edited:

That is clearly not the case. This one is from 2018, does not have a serial number or anything like.

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    745.9 KB · Views: 69
I think for some guys Tethrd could do a total recall on all platforms and still be considered piss poor because it took too long

Some other guys could have 3 crack on them and it’s just a quality issue on a short run.

I don’t know why Tethrd is so polarizing?
I like all the guys I have met over the years from Tethrd.
I’m not a fan boy and own nothing Tethrd before those comments.

BTW the heater fan in my Mercedes went out I figured I might as well complain about it on here. I mean y’all customer service for all these Manufacturers right?

IDK. I miss Saddlhunter 2015 when we talked making saddles and sticks and how we’d use these tools to get closer to our prey. It just seemed like we were less snippy with each other.

2020 glad she’s almost over!!

That is clearly not the case. This one is from 2018, does not have a serial number or anything like.
Seems like it was offset for a reason; however, that offset also appears to possibly sacrifice the integrity of the material holding it there.

Can someone take a picture of the predator in its normal locked to a tree up right position but focused on where this fastener contacts the main post? I’m just curious now

I probably wasn't clear. I think they meant that the castings were only weak recently (not that off center bolts were recent). I also think that the offset bolt is a longer term thing and possibly by design. An earlier post said they just fixed the machine to center it, but I'm not sure that means that the off center was a mistake. It could also be the person they spoke with wasn't exactly sure on the details.

I think for some guys Tethrd could do a total recall on all platforms and still be considered piss poor because it took too long

Some other guys could have 3 crack on them and it’s just a quality issue on a short run.

I don’t know why Tethrd is so polarizing?
I like all the guys I have met over the years from Tethrd.
I’m not a fan boy and own nothing Tethrd before those comments.

BTW the heater fan in my Mercedes went out I figured I might as well complain about it on here. I mean y’all customer service for all these Manufacturers right?

IDK. I miss Saddlhunter 2015 when we talked making saddles and sticks and how we’d use these tools to get closer to our prey. It just seemed like we were less snippy with each other.

2020 glad she’s almost over!!

Well, the Mercedes thing is a non sequitur. If we were a car forum, that would make sense. I agree that 2020 has a lot of us on edge. I'm trying to be fair here and just share information. I still like the platform, but it is normal to be nervous about such things.

Also, if your heater fan goes out on your Mercedes, then you don't unexpectedly swing down a few inches, potentially cut your shins up, get startled, have to get on a stick, climb down, stop hunting for the day, and then hope you have a backup so you can continue your rut-cation.

Well, the Mercedes thing is a non sequitur. If we were a car forum, that would make sense. I agree that 2020 has a lot of us on edge. I'm trying to be fair here and just share information. I still like the platform, but it is normal to be nervous about such things.

Also, if your heater fan goes out on your Mercedes, then you don't unexpectedly swing down a few inches, potentially cut your shins up, get startled, have to get on a stick, climb down, stop hunting for the day, and then hope you have a backup so you can continue your rut-cation.

Idk.
It seems we use Saddlhunter to complain about Tethrd when Tethrd clearly has a website that’s all. As with all MFG. not the issue if that make sense what I’m trying to say.

i wonder if it has to do with aluminum platform and steel bolt? had a f250 that gad aluminum heads with steel exhaust manifolds always going bad because of difference in temperature tolerances.

Idk.
It seems we use Saddlhunter to complain about Tethrd when Tethrd clearly has a website that’s all. As with all MFG. not the issue if that make sense what I’m trying to say.

Do you really think contacting Tethrd directly will get the issues resolved? Never worked in the past.
I think a little peer pressure to do the "right" thing is needed. Will it work, we shall see...

Are you kidding me? Mine is broke, I am the second person to post on this thread, I have not bashed them or this product one single time while patiently waiting for an email or phone call back after several attempts from me...... and I have heard nothing.....crickets..... I am an easy going person.... that’s about to change real quick

Are you kidding me? Mine is broke, I am the second person to post on this thread, I have not bashed them or this product one single time while patiently waiting for an email or phone call back after several attempts from me...... and I have heard nothing.....crickets..... I am an easy going person.... that’s about to change real quick

I'd call'em. Is it possible that your email went to spam? I use gmail and those usually go through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back