• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Must Have Duck Hunting Gear

Scouted hard and finally found them on the ninth hole. Those golf course birds were fun shooting. Caddies make good retrievers too. Good father son and friends smack down.

6e9307bd54a7eaf1227935f2290d4bad.jpg

Last edited:
I'm huddled in somebody's blind waiting for daylight. Feel kinda bad using it, but I've been here 4 or 5 times and there's never been a soul in it. Plus there's maybe 2ft of water, a falling tide, and a hard bottom. My target spot was a mud flat, so I bumped a few hundred yards to here. Warm, muggy. And overcast with no real wind. Probably gonna be a bust, but I've seen a lot of ducks and coots in this bay.

Screenshot_20210123-043133_Gallery.jpg

Went to the city park with some bread and picked up a few more today.

9295aacd3d666e35e3dd5c18d8cc46ac.jpg

Very nice! And a couple of bull sprigs to boot. That’s one of my bucket list birds. What state are you in? We don’t see a lot of pintail in our area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two things tell me you aren’t hunting anywhere around me......red dirt and dead birds.

Very nice! And a couple of bull sprigs to boot. That’s one of my bucket list birds. What state are you in? We don’t see a lot of pintail in our area.

Got invited on a guided hunt with some friends I use to take hunting years ago when I lived in Louisiana. This was in Oklahoma. Man I miss duck hunting. Been over 10 years since I use to go.

What ever 16ga steel shot I can find! Lol. Found some federals. That gun has been passed down 4 generations.
Fixed choke? I have my Dad's and Grandpa's 12's with 30" full choke barrels. Have always heard to never shoot steel in them. Only time I have shot Grandpa's is for the dove opener if I go.

Got invited on a guided hunt with some friends I use to take hunting years ago when I lived in Louisiana. This was in Oklahoma. Man I miss duck hunting. Been over 10 years since I use to go.

I’m in SW Missouri near Joplin. I have friends near Enid OK that I hunt with some.

Left the blind materials. Brushed in and sitting on the floor is as good as we gonna get.

Screenshot_20210127-051938_Gallery.jpg

I have the next 5 days to duck hunt. One last "huzza" before season is out. Really gonna try and give these marsh ducks everything I got and have them figured out good for next year

You need to hunt where they got ducks. Too much time spent watching the same 3 local ducks fly around the lake isn’t gonna teach you anything. Use all the time and money you spent watching those 3 ducks and flock of coots to hit other areas.

You need to hunt where they got ducks. Too much time spent watching the same 3 local ducks fly around the lake isn’t gonna teach you anything. Use all the time and money you spent watching those 3 ducks and flock of coots to hit other areas.
You have a point. But I'm seeing ducks most days. I've seen some flocks of 30-50. They're here. Theyre just spooky as heck. Never know til you try though. I did good down here on teal.

ccd308cb874045ddec6e79919021c7c1.jpg

a05263aa15c52fda967761f92dbce16f.jpg

I paddled two miles round trip this morning and didn’t fire a shot. There were ducks here three days ago but nothing now. I have to work the next four days so I’m done for the season. I did see several deer, a bunch of eagles, and a dozen geese camped out within sight of my vehicle. All in all it was a good peaceful paddle in the new to me canoe.

Back