• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

CLASSIFIED SCAMMERS

boyne bowhunter

Staff member
SH Member
It appears that there a few new classified scammers making their way into our midst. Please be aware. The typical operating procedure appears to be contacting people with WTB ads posted claiming that their buddy "has one available". Typically the respondent is a very new member with very few or no posts and is posting for a friend whose email is supplied.

We will try to keep them cleaned up as we can but please exercise extreme caution when encountering instances such as described.

Can’t have much without some lowlife trying to ruin it anymore
Thanks for caring! Some fear this forum will become like archery talk. I’d like to think not
Still enough people that care here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I sure hope not! A few basic rules help,& this group really self regulates well....

I was contacted by Ron9942. I knew it was an immediate scam.
Some best practices:
1. If they are new members, check their post count and content.
2. Always use PayPal goods and services with new members or people you don’t have much interaction with.
3. If they are selling for a friend just report them.

This guy contacted me and then sent me photos from google that I recognized.

I reported it to @Bigterp
Yeah he’s toast! I think as a whole we just need to be more diligent in our transactions if you don’t know them. If you mentioned an item or placed a wtb ad then get contacted by someone you don’t know then move on. Btw I pay everyone with PP G/S that extra bit is nice peace of mind. Especially with the condition of our delivery systems it could be an established member here & that could hang you up, then your both protected.

I was contacted by Ron9942. I knew it was an immediate scam.
Some best practices:
1. If they are new members, check their post count and content.
2. Always use PayPal goods and services with new members or people you don’t have much interaction with.
3. If they are selling for a friend just report them.
This guy contacted me Also

@redsquirrel have you considered adding a rule like some facebook groups that sellers have to post a card next to the item with username and date to help mitigate some of this?

That's something a buyer can request before purchasing an item and is a good idea if you don't know the seller.

@redsquirrel have you considered adding a rule like some facebook groups that sellers have to post a card next to the item with username and date to help mitigate some of this?
It's a good rule of thumb but we can't enforce it when someone posts a WTB add. That is how they guys are working, they are seeing people's WTB adds and just contacting them privately. Any ideas we've come up with to stop them so far would negatively affect the rest of the users of the site which outnumber the few scammers we've had. If this continues though we will have to take some more actions to try to limit them.

Back