• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tethrd One Climbing Sticks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for sharing my video. I tried to be as honest and thorough as I could be. I do think with a file, some end caps, and potentially some foam or other fillers they can be quieter. The biggest complaint for me is foot room. Just no fixing that
If youre intetested shoot me a PM, ill send you a few pieces of Foil Damping Tape. Just let me know if it works, as i plan to pick one of these up. I figure if it works on car doors and aircraft fuselage ; it would work here.

If youre intetested shoot me a PM, ill send you a few pieces of Foil Damping Tape. Just let me know if it works, as i plan to pick one of these up. I figure if it works on car doors and aircraft fuselage ; it would work here.

I put that inside my truck doors to make my redneck boombox.....stuff is heavy and hard to work with (just warning folks....it's great you are making the offer....maybe you have a lighter/thinner version?). It does work really well though once it is in place. People can stand outside my truck and hardly know I am giving myself hearing damage.

This isn’t an SPL competition you shouldn’t have to dynamat your climbing sticks.

That stuff is also heavy. Your 1lb climbing stick will become 3lbs

Last edited:
Couple easy mods quiets them down pretty good. The main issue with those in that video was the finish on the stand-off. I fixed it right after that hunt lol. That kind of noise doesn’t fly with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem I have is the amount of moola dropped on something that I gotta mess with even more to quiet them down...

I believe that application is more of a foil/foam laminate ; much thicker / heavier.

A viscioelastic polymer on deadsoft aluminum with 10- 20% coverage would add maybe 1-2 oz.
Just being a nerd - not trying to reinvent the stick.

Having tried different kinds of expanding foam on sticks and platforms IMO is doesn't have any benefit. It really doesn't deaden sound just the ring.....and no matter how hard u try, u will make a mess.

Never tried it mainly because I've given up on metal stuff but I think stuffing with wall insulation or pillow batting would deaden sound better than expanding foam and stealth strip the outside surfaces
It does actually add weight too. I agree with everything you said.

The other thing about adding a foam, batten or such to the inside of the stick is no matter how tight you think the air space is, it is going to collect moisture. Moisture will condense and kill the whole idea of the "fluffy" stuff deadening the sound, as it will almost turn the stuff to mash potatoes like a wet down jacket over time. Other concern about moisture is how it will effect the epoxy/adhesives from the inside over time....

Lots of things to take into consideration.

Last edited:
Name one set of sticks (or really anything for that matter) that is absolutely perfect and the way you want it right out of the box? I don’t think it exists.

I think I could deal with the noise and having to replace those nipples when they break cuz sure as heck they will. The lack of foot room is a deal breaker for me...

Must really be getting closer. Marketing is warming up.

Name one set of sticks (or really anything for that matter) that is absolutely perfect and the way you want it right out of the box? I don’t think it exists.

Sorry, is that the point- Nothing is "perfect"? I think the comment was made due to the fact that they're freakin expensive, and they should be pretty damn near perfect. Kind of like when the ambush platform first came out, it was far from perfect, LWCG took them back because people were pissed that some simple things weren't perfect. They changed manufacturers and processing and now have a much better process and product. I think you need to expect the same kind of scrutiny on a $120 stick, and be willing to take it. Heck, including a stealth strip kit at that price wouldn't kill the company and would go a long way to show customers Tethrd is trying to deliver them as close to a 100% product as they can. But hey, that would eat into the profit...

Sorry, is that the point- Nothing is "perfect"? I think the comment was made due to the fact that they're freakin expensive, and they should be pretty damn near perfect. Kind of like when the ambush platform first came out, it was far from perfect, LWCG took them back because people were pissed that some simple things weren't perfect. They changed manufacturers and processing and now have a much better process and product. I think you need to expect the same kind of scrutiny on a $120 stick, and be willing to take it. Heck, including a stealth strip kit at that price wouldn't kill the company and would go a long way to show customers Tethrd is trying to deliver them as close to a 100% product as they can. But hey, that would eat into the profit...
Ding ding ding!

I think too much attention was paid to trying to hit that 1 pound mark. There's lots of awesome aspects to the sticks. I like how they stack and how snug they are, the glow in the dark dots are a nice touch, the button and rope, etc., but I'd be way happier having a little extra weight for a quieter stick and that's part of why I won't get these. Everyone is on here trying to figure out the best way to quiet the sticks by adding the least amount of weight so the 1lb stick isn't going to be that anymore anyway. If Tethrd took care of that from the get go you've got a better product. I don't care how light it is if the animal I'm hunting takes off from its bed on the first stick I set.

.. if I can pay $120 for 3 sticks... and yours run $120 per stick... sorry but these stick will be held to a MUCH higher standard.. Even Hawk saw how people were modifying their gear and just went.. "ok...we'll make em like that then"

New products are trying to hit this niche.
Nerds gonna Nerd.

Attachments

• E75EE967-9229-4624-A363-7C5026D4FB4F.jpeg
    E75EE967-9229-4624-A363-7C5026D4FB4F.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 110
And who says we haven’t tried to fix some things since release?

No one has said that...in fact thatd be great if issues were addressed prior to being released to the public! That just hasn't been what history has shown, more like using customers as testers, even after the product was used and tested a ton all season by the company and prostaff.....then making a "gen 2" and not even mentioning the differences and tweaks on the site or marketing so the people don't realize a gen 2 was rolled out....

That’s the great thing about options these days. If you don’t want or need a 1lb stick that stacks like these, doesn’t come with Amsteel attachment, not made from titanium, then you have other cheaper options. And I’ll say it again, I don’t care what you buy hunting related, there is NOTHING that will fit every end users preference right out of the box. If they came with stealth strips people would complain about the color of them. If they were 24” people would complain they weren’t 20”. Catch my point? Just because the main focus was the weight doesn’t mean we completely forgot about every other aspect that is important. We all have tested these sticks a ton this year and made some tweaks along the way. I still find it pretty dang amazing that a one pound stick is even possible really. If they don’t fit your needs that’s just fine man! We all look for something a little different when it comes to our gear.

What if you want or need a 1lb stick that stacks like these, that comes with Amsteel attachment, made from titanium....that doesn’t ring like a church bell?

Can this be accomplished or is it a “pipe” dream?

If there wasn’t enough to like about the One Stick, there wouldn’t be so much chatter about them. Sub 1lb with attachment method, smart stacking solution, compact profile, nifty rope cleat, glow in the dark markers. Thumbs up.

Consumer concerns:

Short standoff, not everyone’s preference.

Noisy tube, nobody’s preference.

Aider attachment, a preference that folks will figure out.

I agree that it isn’t such a big deal to stealth strip an ultra premium $120 stick. But it is a big deal if that doesn’t get them quiet enough to be useful for hunting. I get that people will have different thresholds for stick noise, but wanting a reasonably quiet stick, the existing media is showing that it’s not even close.

And, as these are so innoventive, there isn’t a precedent for sound dampening that folks have identified that doesn’t detract from the major advancements. If it’s a simple fix, that’s what folks are wanting, and if it is simple, maybe that’s what the manufacturer should provide, even if the sticks, gasp, cost more. They aren’t the most expensive stick on the market.

In accordance with the site rules vendors are not allowed to engage in discussion of their products in the general areas of the forum. Any discussion of their products must take place in the designated vendor area. Accordingly vendor interaction has been removed from this thread.

I watched it earlier. Seem like nice guys, although I’ve never viewed their channel before. I felt the music distracts from the viewer’s ability to experience the full demonstration of hanging the sticks though.

They hit on the key reasons to like these sticks...light weight being first and foremost. I like that they show how high 4 sticks and an aider gets you, because that seems like a pretty logical setup with them, and this is probably the best takeaway from the video.

I don’t see these sticks working well for me, but I’m glad to see some folks liking them and sharing why they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back