• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Pistol hunting from a saddle

Daren Russell

SH Member
I finally got around to putting a Red dot on my colt Anaconda and gonna give it a go next year season.Was wonder what holster you all are using and any other tips and tricks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
4f5adca40ea3a8f96c39f21d866bd9fa.jpg

Last edited:
When pistol hunting I hang my pistol from my gear strap just like my bow or any other weapon once I'm settled.

Also an option
I just prefer the secure feeling of a chest rig
What handgun are you using @boynebowhunter ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like a chest holster for revolvers. I’ve used a bandolier holster more than anything because I’ve got one that fit about everything ok and it’s easy off once in the tree.

44mag scoped Redhawk. I like to have it out and ready once I'm setup. It always feels noisy to me to have to remove it from chest holster if a deer happens by. The attached picture is from several years ago out of the climber.

1612144083589.png

I have a chest holster but like @boyne bowhunter i think it seems noisy and a lot of movement to draw when deer are close. If I’m sitting I will rest it on my lap or tuck it between the tree and the elastic strap that holds my knee pad to the tree.

I really need to be able to block this thread from ever seeing it again. I thought man shooting a deer with a pistol would be cool. Then I looked up pricing on decent pistols that are recommended to do so... I don’t want to venture down that rabbit hole!

This year will be my first year saddle hunting. I plan on during muzzle loading and fire arms season to hunt only with pistols as my primary weapons this coming year. I have used different pistols over the years but this year it will be two single shots. I have a handgun carry permit and can carry a pistol for my protection while hunting. There are bears in my area and they can be dangerous especially mom's with cubs. When in the woods I always carry a Ruger Black Hawk 5 1/2" 45 Colt with HEAVY hand loaded 300 gr Speer jacketed SPs in a shoulder holster I made for protection against two or four legged critters.

During the muzzle loading season I plan on using a Traditions Vortek 50 cal. with a red dot sight. I just got this pistol a few months back and have not had time or the weather to shoot it yet. It should be equal to a 44 mag in performance shooting a max charge of 70 grs 3FG Hodgdon 777 with a sabot and Hornady 250 gr 45 caliber XTP.

The one I will use in firearms season is one that I have killed MANY deer with. A T/C Contender 14" MGM stainless barrel 30-30AI with a Weaver 2.5-8x28 pistol scope. It pushes a 125 Nosler Ballistic Tip 2670 fps average and well under MOA accuracy.

I have a bandolier cross draw style holster that fits these for carrying but I will hang them from my home made HYS strap from my home made bow etc. hanger. I will put a tether loop of para cord around the grip or trigger guard which ever works best to be less weight on me and less noisy.

I have experimented sitting in my saddle tethered to a pole in my basement using my bridge as a rest to steady my aim. It works pretty well. I can also pull up close to the tree and brace off it. The shot angle will dictate the rest used.

If you have never handgun hunted or for that matter shot a rifle braced against a tree always place your hand between the firearm and the tree. If you place the firearm against the hard tree it will effect your shot usually throwing it away from the tree. Just something I picked up along the way of my 50 years of deer hunting.

Last edited:
I really need to be able to block this thread from ever seeing it again. I thought man shooting a deer with a pistol would be cool. Then I looked up pricing on decent pistols that are recommended to do so... I don’t want to venture down that rabbit hole!
I don't know if they still make them but CVA had a line of single shot pistols. I've handled them but never shot one. Pretty nice for the money from what I've heard. Used Contender/G2's aren't too bad pricewise either. Prices are jacked up super high on auction sites but they don't sell at those prices. T/C made a pile of Contenders so there's a lot of them.floating around if you keep your eyes open

Yes CVA makes a Scout V2 pistol in various rifle calibers and everything I have heard is they are a pretty good pistol. You can't interchange barrels on them like a T/C Contender. They also make a Optima V2 pistol 50 cal. muzzle loader but they are only made in a small batch and usually shipped to only one supplier usually in the summer. I think it is muzzleloader.com .

Ebeco or something like that is a supplier for NEW T/C G2 and Encore frames etc. I have two older Contender frames and a number of barrels.

41 years ago I killed my fist few pistol deer with an old WWII bring back Colt 1911A1 45 ACP shooing 7 grs Unique with a 200 gr cast from wheel weights SWC bullet. Kept shots inside 50 yards and if I missed the high shoulder shot that dropped them in their tracks they did not go much over 50 yards with both lungs popped.

I occasionally bring my Smith 629 .44 mag during rifle season, will take one with it if the right opportunity ever presents. With either using the tree or tether for a brace it should not be hard to pull off in a saddle. Several years ago I took a doe with a Hi Point C9 9mm. She was right under my stand, missed the spine by 1/4 in. Bullet went into the heart and lungs. She died in sight. 115 grain hollow point if memory is correct. I still have the old C9 but it dont get much use anymore. Seems like everybody hates a hi point but mine has been rock solid reliable and accurate.

Xdm10 osp

I have a guides choice diamond d chest holster for my model 69 44 mag, I love that holster, I’m left handed and it’s the first nice holster I have ever owned, I don’t hunt with it but I think it would work in a saddle, I just carry whenever I’m scouting or fishing in the backcountry in bear country.

I use a glock 40 mos/ green dot 10mm.

I carry in a dara holster but its too tight a fit for drawing gun for use in the tree.
I just insert it half way into my hand muff when get situated.

I have an Andrew's leather holster on order out of Florida.
I can't wait to have it. I been waiting over 5 months.

I use a glock 40 mos/ green dot 10mm.

I carry in a dara holster but its too tight a fit for drawing gun for use in the tree.
I just insert it half way into my hand muff when get situated.

I have an Andrew's leather holster on order out of Florida.
I can't wait to have it. I been waiting over 5 months.

I was considering glock just couldn’t get past the pics of mangled hands from them blowing up under 10 mil loads

I have a Smith 686 in .357. I'm sure that a well placed shot at a fairly close range with a choice round would dispatch a deer. The more I read the more I'm hesitant to take it in the woods.

10mm/ .44 / or whatever just ain't in the budget these days...

That 357 is more than enough gun for deer, just use the right load.

I have a Smith 686 in .357. I'm sure that a well placed shot at a fairly close range with a choice round would dispatch a deer. The more I read the more I'm hesitant to take it in the woods.

10mm/ .44 / or whatever just ain't in the budget these days...

Back