• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

For Saddles: V-92, Tera 40 or something else?

look for bonded nylon thread, its stronger then poly and has some stretch to it which is good for gear like saddles because of the material stretching under load (form some article that's related ) . they say its not UV resistant but you can find some that it. at the same time when they refer to outdoor use , they are talking about products that will stay outside for extended periods of time/days exposed to direct sunlight like patio furniture.this will damage the strength of the thread and break it down. for our hunting purposes it will not applies we are outside for hours at a time and during a lot of fall like weather.i noticed a lot of people use both #69 and #92. I use a bonded nylon thread #69 from Cansew that has a 12LB break strength, I ve seen others with 11lb. I feel like its a mater of preference at the end of the day as long as stay within the guideline and do the math proper for SPI.

the link below helped me decide and info from others on saddlehunter also

this link was helpful , snapshot below is from it. https://www.thethreadexchange.com/m...de=TTE&Category_Code=Nylon-Thread-Information

I also used https://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Sew-Webbing-Loops. & https://sewingiscool.com/sewing-nylon-webbing/

View attachment 44678

I agree on preference, but given the general choice between bonded nylon and bonded polyester of the same size thread, polyester seems to be the superior choice. Nylon isn't bad, but polyester is better suited for outdoor applications as you observed (UV breakdown, moisture retention). I know our equipment doesn't get the same exposure as patio furniture, but I like the extra insurance.

In high stress applications, it's probably most important to match the thread to your materials; nylon for nylon, polyester for polyester. Based on what I've read from parachuting and rock climbing resources, this seems like something giant research projects could be done on to reach a definitive result, and the choice would still be a tossup. My observations show rock climbers using either one (matching material), and parachute riggers using nylon (the canopy and rigging is nylon).

I agree on preference, but given the general choice between bonded nylon and bonded polyester of the same size thread, polyester seems to be the superior choice. Nylon isn't bad, but polyester is better suited for outdoor applications as you observed (UV breakdown, moisture retention). I know our equipment doesn't get the same exposure as patio furniture, but I like the extra insurance.

In high stress applications, it's probably most important to match the thread to your materials; nylon for nylon, polyester for polyester. Based on what I've read from parachuting and rock climbing resources, this seems like something giant research projects could be done on to reach a definitive result, and the choice would still be a tossup. My observations show rock climbers using either one (matching material), and parachute riggers using nylon (the canopy and rigging is nylon).
I agree with you as well. The info out there goes back and forth. I rocked climbed for year so the safety aspect it always looked at when I leave the ground. So I feel like people get lost in all the specs and forget that it’s a saddle. Not a harness to save you when falling like climbing. It’s meant to support your weight . And I feel like anything over 1000lb with the stitches per inch formula will be fine. Just my opinion. And understand the comfort for extra strength when dealing with your life and not trying to say people are wrong with their choices. I triple stitch and far exceeds the math I aimed for of 2500lb for the box stitch with seatbelt webbing rated at 4000lb. Plus the extra stitching of the mollie webbing

Back