• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Who's not using a pack and just pouching everything?

I'm more worried about the sound of the pee hitting dried leaves after falling 25 feet, and also I once lowered my bow and pack into a wet spot.
Hit the trunk of a nearby tree, not as load once it gets to the ground. And work on your projection to avoid the pack incident.

Im not expert on the anatomy physics. I read that weight feel heavier farther from your body. But what about different from shoulders and hip? Do you feel the weight more carrying it on your shoulder via a backpack or on your hip via pouches on saddle?

I loved having my dump pouches attached to my saddle when climbing and attaching my ROS. I hated hunting with the dump pouches attached to my saddle. My solution was a battle belt, EWO linemans belt and suspenders. I climb and utilize the battle belt just like I would with a saddle and dump pouches but once I am set up I remove the battle belt and hang it like a pack. The last thing that I like about this system is it is completely customizable. Packs are always too big or too small. This pack is just right by adding or removing pouches.

Of I don't like the Crosspaq that was the next idea. Did you use it last season?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
I used it all last yr and like it. I quit using a backpack yrs ago and went to a small sling pack. Its really handy but I don't like it pulling on my neck so went to the vest. Realtree used to sell a bowhunters vest but dropped it so a turkey vest is about the only option. Some are really bulky but I got a thin lt wt one. It's still the same wt. but distributed better.

I have pared down over the years. Although I still have my bigger, carry everything and the kitchen sink packs, I now use smaller options like the crosspac, the Outlaw 2 sling by 3V Gear and the Silent Reaper by Badlands. Not a fan of multiple pouches on my saddle.

Im not expert on the anatomy physics. I read that weight feel heavier farther from your body. But what about different from shoulders and hip? Do you feel the weight more carrying it on your shoulder via a backpack or on your hip via pouches on saddle?
Your hips carry the weight much, much easier than your shoulders/back. That’s why every serious hiking pack comes with a moldable hip belt. Really have to tighten it down if you are built like a rail.

I agree about the water loopwing..... I hate that when that happens.... and you don't have a water bottle. Especially when turkey hunting or if I have a diaphram call in my mouth which I often do even during bow season as I like to squeal in some yotes or fox sometimes if a hunt was unproductive for deer. Sometimes the deer come in though!!! I went to a EWO battlebelt last year for my Tactisaddle and liked it a lot. If I'm hunting on my smallish private tracks its typically just my saddle system, bow or gun, climbing method (one stick all last year) and headlight and always a blade of some kind. I left the rest of my junk in my truck. Then if I make a harvest my mode goes to pack out gear. Just my system. On long public land trecks (1 mile in or more) I tend to take more with me at the onset.

I still carry a bulky pack for cold weather hike ins. But other than clothes everting else can fit in a small chest pack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went the opposite direction. My whole set up last season was about 14lbs. After spending 5 hours getting a 230Lb buck out, I switched to a F1 frame pack. It and meat bags added about 3.5 lbs. to my set up. I only bring kill kit , thermacell, range finder, knee pads and a drink with me.

After trial and error i came down to this for my quick day hunts pack.
Predator platform
Predator pack
30 foot of cord
Thermacell
Knife
Range finder
Two bottled waters
Two snack bars

Of course I’ll trek in with the saddle already on and the sticks strapped to the pack. I’ll also be carrying my bow . If I get a kill I’ll go back to the truck dump the gear and get the kill kit . Not sure if I’ll get a small sled or quarter the kill out there and pack the quarters back . What are some suggestions on this process ? Sled or quarter oh yeah it roughly 1/2 a mile one way

I am quite the opposite. I hate having crap hanging off my saddle and would rather have everything in a Fanny pack or pack

I am the same way. I do not like a weighted saddle. I keep a small pouch on my left for my Oplux linesman belt. A small pouch on the right for my Oplux tree tether. Other than that..... nothing else.

I am going to one stick more this year.... so my right tree tether and pouch is going to be replaced with 40’ of rappel rope and a roll up pouch. I am going to rig that pouch up with quick connect clips so I can take it off my hip in the tree. I’m going to clip it to my pack while hunting. Still in design mode.....

90% of the time, unless I'm filming... I can carry everything I need for a hunt in my cargo pockets on my pants and an upper chest pocket on my shirt. Sometimes I'll grab a fanny pack if I really want to carry a lot of stuff. :)

I used to be the same. Extra paracord, extra biners, flagging tape, hunting knife and the list goes on. Finally decided that since I was going to have to go back to the truck to drop all my crap off and pick up the sled to haul him out I really didn’t need to carry that stuff in with me in the first place. All that weight, plus a summit viper was killing me. Clothes too. Extra gloves, extra this that and the other, just in case. I paired down to an under layer, goose down and a shell. Max warmth, least weight. I don’t even carry a bottle of water. Guys are worried about ounces and they are carrying a bottle (or two!) of water that weighs a couple of pounds. Go to survival school, you carry water inside your body, not in a bottle. If you have to have water and there is a water source carry a filter straw, cost less than $15, only weighs a few ounces and will make a thousand gallons of water safe for drinking.

2Sloe, my buddy's son, is a Navy Seal, and they will drink a boatload of water before going on a hike, run, or hunt to stay hydrated. If I remember correctly, he called it loading or something like that. As to the extra stuff, I agree. I'm going back to the truck to ditch my gear and grab my kill-kit anyway; if I need something, it's at the truck. I also go through my pack at the end of each season and get rid of anything I didn't use the whole season. I try to find things that will do double duty to reduce what I carry. I'm not so worried about weight as I am about carrying things I just don't use enough to warrant taking them with me.

2Sloe, my buddy's son, is a Navy Seal, and they will drink a boatload of water before going on a hike, run, or hunt to stay hydrated. If I remember correctly, he called it loading or something like that. As to the extra stuff, I agree. I'm not so worried about weight as I am about carrying things I just don't use enough to warrant taking them with me.
Right on, I was a Naval Aviator. I’m knocking on 60 now so I have to watch the weight I’m carrying, especially since some of my parts are kinda worn out. I am working out like a madman this year, so hopefully the weight won’t be such an issue on those 2 mile one way strolls. Definitely stronger and still have 6 more months till season!

After trial and error i came down to this for my quick day hunts pack.
Predator platform
Predator pack
30 foot of cord
Thermacell
Knife
Range finder
Two bottled waters
Two snack bars

Of course I’ll trek in with the saddle already on and the sticks strapped to the pack. I’ll also be carrying my bow . If I get a kill I’ll go back to the truck dump the gear and get the kill kit . Not sure if I’ll get a small sled or quarter the kill out there and pack the quarters back . What are some suggestions on this process ? Sled or quarter oh yeah it roughly 1/2 a mile one way
I am firmly in the pack it out rather than drag it out camp. That's why I always wear a pack. Most of the time I could carry everything easily without the pack but then when you kill, it means a wasted trip back to the truck to get the pack or sled if that is what you are using. Used a cart some in the past and always left it at the truck. Just a pain in the butt to have to go out empty to get the cart and then go back, load the deer and then deal with the dang cart getting back out. Monumentally easier to to just field quarter and pack it out on the first trip out and when you get to the truck the deer is already prepped for going in the cooler. Skinning is done and no carcass to dispose of either. I know some folks dont have that luxury cause their states require them to bring the deer out. They should move. :)

Back