• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Would snow camo stand out too much during early season?

Yep, this is a far cry from going out there in a white T-shirt. It's probably very good camouflage from the deer's perspective. And no, I'm not saying a deer can't be killed with a white T-shirt. Lot's of deer could probably be killed with a white tyvek suit on. I'm just saying if you are trying to be undetected on your walk or don't want a deer to see you getting in your pack for something then white is probably the worst color. Sometimes the small details make all the difference in the world, other times they don't matter at all.
Whatever that means, your picture has little to do with white. If you want an apples to apples comparison, there is literally an apples to apples comparison you can read about. There was a deer vision study done with yellow and red apples and it produced some strong conclusions.

Red plaid was a favorite of northeastern hunters for many decades and worked fine even when hunting from the ground because red doesn't look red to deer. So red doesn't move the bar for me.

Because deer eyes are engineered to have a primary acuity at ground level, you can likely get away with colors that stand out to them when elevated if you don't provide them with other signs of your presence.

I would paint or dye (if the material will accept it) the pack myself.
I told him it would never work....

I told him it would never work....

I'm not here to get into some stupid spat. There are documented studies on this stuff and its a better read than anything I can or you can add. Hunt in whatever you want and ignore the science if it matters not to you.

I feel like I just started a common camo fight. Wasnt my intent because I think its been fought and everyone is just doing to do what they do, you do you and I'll do me. I understand movement is everything. And the fact is if they cant see you, it doesnt matter what clothes you wear. Go high up enough, you can dress as a rainbow unicorn for all that matters.

I'm probably just over concerning and trying to find that 'tiger repelling rock'. That was one of the thing that I wanted to get opinion on. if WHITE color movement while walking around the wood does simulate whitetails.

I know people that successfully hunt out of blue blinds or tarps or whatever materials they had as long as the deer got time to adjust to it. and no movements of course!

I feel like I just started a common camo fight. Wasnt my intent because I think its been fought and everyone is just doing to do what they do, you do you and I'll do me. I understand movement is everything. And the fact is if they cant see you, it doesnt matter what clothes you wear. Go high up enough, you can dress as a rainbow unicorn for all that matters.

I'm probably just over concerning and trying to find that 'tiger repelling rock'. That was one of the thing that I wanted to get opinion on. if WHITE color movement while walking around the wood does simulate whitetails.

I know people that successfully hunt out of blue blinds or tarps or whatever materials they had as long as the deer got time to adjust to it. and no movements of course!

One reason I'd try to color the bag if possible is safety. Some hunters aren't real attentive to target identification. Something white moving through the thick could be a bit risky on some public. Just a consideration.

You are correct. Lots of opinions. I really don't think the color matters as long as you are not silhouetted (back cover) and you aren't moving. There is a scientific study for every side of every single argument if you look hard enough.

You have to remember we are in their living room. If someone put an extra chair in your living room you would take notice. Now if a house fly moves through the room it stands out because it is moving.

Found a used Alps Outdoorz Trail Blazer pack for cheap online so I snapped it up (being shipped). Thinking about using it as my main pack next season. Only issue I see is that its Snow/Winter Camo pattern. It look really bright to me, maybe its not as bad once I actually see it in person.

View attachment 45072

Yes I know, camo doesnt matter as long as its not blue etc etc...

But for early season hunt without snow on the ground, it just look so white to me, just to my HUMAN eye's it stand out a lot. Anyone use their snow pattern gear during the early season and notice anything?

I've been meaning to try the DIY dyeing your pack with RIT. Might even do it just for fun. I am 99% its all in my mind and its psychological, but I just feel more exposed in the early season with so much white material. I assumed that's why the original owner is selling it so cheap. And from looking online, its not a very popular pattern too.

If it bothers you, I'd get some earth tone RIT polyester liquid dye, stick the pack in a bucket outside, pour the whole bottle in, fill with water, cover. Come back every so often and pull it out when it is the color you want. Rinse out with a hose. Soak in clean water a few times, then wash in washing machine several times. Probably best to wait until summer to benefit from the heat.

If you crumble it up in a small bucket, it will create a camo looking tie dye effect.

I advocate this method (that I've done) because it keeps you from having to use dye in your house and also keeps you from having the super heat your backpack (which I don't like for something that has to hold weight and I don't want to break).

Snow camo actually works great even in early season when you're at risk of being skylighted. I recently read a book from PA hunter who wears snow camo exclusively even during the early season as he hunts from an elevated position and he claims he has had no problems and it has enhanced his stand hunting especially on more pressured deer who are used to seeing dark blobs in the tree tops. I have long said the camo most of us think looks great sucks at any distance. ASAT, PREDATOR, SNOW CAMO, URBAN CAMO, these break up the human outline......especially in the fall with leaves falling you never know what hole to the skyline will open up. I started using it even when there wasn't snow on the ground this year and I was on a power line right of way and I think it helped me. Going to keep trying it next year too. So no, I don't think your snow camo pack will hurt a thing and it may even blend in more to the deer.

Zero issue with that pack. I got one of these Nike hoodies on closeout in 2019 right before the season and have not been picked off while wearing it in a tree from early through late season, despite the white patches. Several times I was only 10 ft up on a softball size tree like a lollipop and still didn't get busted. Not enough evidence for scientific backing (unless it was used to propagate corona virus myths) but it has worked better than I even hoped and will keep using it.
d856c9c3bd9290583372b1123121f2cd.jpg

Im starting to use predator cammo which has some white in it.
imho As long as it breaks your outline up somehow and the biggest thing or problem is cover and being skylit.

Hey this is way nicer than guys get when you start the scent lock vs playing the wind debates it’s like listening to Dan the beast on the same pod cast as Eberhart. One doesn’t worry about the wind because of his scent regiment, the other says activated carbon will not stop the deer from smelling you because of studies... they are both legends of hunting and the only thing it proves to me is that everyone has what works for them, that’s all you can do. So if you want to use the white backpack, do it snow or not. If you feel like it won’t work, get a different pack! Whatever works to build your confidence and makes you feel like a more confident hunter!

Back