• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

tuning a bow after changing strings

archery_enthusiast

I'm relatively new to bowhunting and I was wondering how many people change their own strings and how hard it is to tune afterwards. I don't see that I would have problems with the replacement aspect, but more with the tuning. I'm not a pro at this but diy is in my DNA and I'm trying to decide if it is more cost effective and easy enough to do it all myself or just let a pro shop handle it. I was thinking of going with Cedar Hill strings for my solo cam. I don't really like paying a shop to work on my bow if I can do it myself, and learn along the way. Anyone have any suggestions??

I assume you have your own press and vise. Very doable with the necessary tools, and after a few YouTube videos.

Of you have a pre-stretched string, just take measurements of everything before you change strings. Mainly your ata length, nock position, and check your exact cam orientation. I changed a lot of strings and usually it was ready to rock straight out the gate if I made sure I had those measurements and pictures to refer back to. Basically just making sure you put it back how you had it.

Of you have a pre-stretched string, just take measurements of everything before you change strings. Mainly your ata length, nock position, and check your exact cam orientation. I changed a lot of strings and usually it was ready to rock straight out the gate if I made sure I had those measurements and pictures to refer back to. Basically just making sure you put it back how you had it.
^this assumes the bow was property tuned before replacing strings. Ive been making strings for over 10 years. Seen a lot of bows half inch or more out of spec from stretched strings or a big box archery techs lack of skill.

Put 100 pounds of tension on the strings/cables and measure them against spec. If they are short take twists out, of they are long add twists. Put them on bow. Then adjust from there.

Back