• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Who Wants Nothing To Do With One Sticking?

Country

I see a lot of threads on one sticking. I can't think of anything I'd like to do less than one stick when I finally reach my hunting destination. For you guys that like it, is it just the weight factor that you like? Also be interested in hearing from those of you that have tried it but decided it wasn't for you.

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It certainly peaks my interest from time to time. The weight loss is key given the terrain I hunt. Then I start to study the technique and watch videos.
It’s just not something I interested in for several reasons.

Good question. I found I don’t like carrying and messing with sticks. I do like a light load .lthink the “ kid” comes out in me when we do rappelling . Just fun.I like being in my saddle all the way. The process is much slower for me because I take my time and don’t work up a sweat but I enjoy it.

I keep going back and forth about one sticking. I tried it a couple times with a full length Hawk stick end of 2019 and thought it was gonna be the coolest thing since sliced bread. Then got a couple other sticks like EWO and another i can’t remember. Tried it again and it was nothing like what I remembered from the Hawk before. I definitely did not like it. I’m sure I wasn’t doing it right but seemed like I had to bend and contort and strain waaay more than I remember from before. So I gave it up and that’s what told me I should explore just a set of sticks more.

Since then I have gone through several types of sticks. Some great ones, some ok. Right now I have landed on a set of beast minis and I’m in the process of tricking out a 3 set of full length LW sticks with EWO double steps and beast standoffs and beast buttons. Between these two sets of sticks Im excited and feel like I’m set with climbing.

But I do still eyeball the one stick options out there today. They are intriguing and rappelling is definitely fun. I have everything I need to rappel already. Just a fill trying to decide if I want to try and invest in a good one stick setup or not. What I don’t like about one sticking is having to wrap around and rub up on the tree so much. That’s gonna suck when it’s wet out or just rained I would think. Not sure about bulk of a top platform and then the limited foot space when using it either. Also, I came help but admit that the whole cam cleat thing makes me nervous in general. Those are my current struggles with it right now.

Tried it and no way is it for me! I consider myself athletic also. I can’t even imagine being quiet while setting up in the woods. I wish these companies would have put more effort into a climbing platform. But to each their own.

Last edited:
The thing that kills it for me is my first attachment I get roughly 7ft but after I can get roughly 5ft on the additional stick sets because of having to sit down in the saddle. 3 stick sets and I'm losing 6 feet. When I was still using sticks I carried 2 16" sticks and aider and could get up to my normal height 12-18ft in 2 anchor sets but 1 stick it would take 3 maybe 4 attachment to get to the same height. Since then I made my stirrups and I do essentially the same as with the 2 sticks but with soft anchor point/ foot transition.... leapfrogging up to whatever height with my rappel rope limiting the height I can go....but again, I don't climb very high.

I see a lot of threads on one sticking. I can't think of anything I'd like to do less than one stick when I finally reach my hunting destination. For you guys that like it, is it just the weight factor that you like? Also be interested in hearing from those of you that have tried it but decided it wasn't for you.
The trick is to practice and get good at it prior to being in a hunting situation. The first time I tried saddle hunting in general, I hated it. Now that I am good at it, I can't see myself doing anything else. Same for one sticking. Everyone has their go to, but I've learned to always give something a very fair chance before axing it.

For me it’s I am not limited to how high I can get by the number of sticks strapped to my pack. I can get as high as I need no matter the situation. The top of my stick I set from the ground is 7.5’ to the top. Each move gets me 5’ more height.

Also, the tear down and pack up. Way quicker than packing up multiple sticks. At the end of the night I want to spend the least amount of time messing around at the base of the tree. I just want to get out of there. I rappel down. Stop grab my stick. Rappel to the ground. Yank my rope down. Wind it up and I am out. Nothing quicker or easier.

Once you have your system down. Nothing beats it.

Another tool in the toolbox for me. It’s hard to beat the speed and simplicity of three Lt wt sticks/aiders. But then again, its hard to beat the efficiency of cleaning up just a platform and rope at the base of the tree. hopefully this off season, practice will make both even better.

I've never tried it but I will once my ION comes in. I have no clue if its for me yet or not but like someone mentioned above, its worth a fair shot if you are going to try it. I do enjoy rappelling down

I wouldn’t say I want nothing to do with one sticking because let’s be honest who doesn’t want to pack just one stick in to the woods.
I enjoy one sticking but for me I’m back to 3 sticks with aiders because I feel I can hunt more trees with that setup.

Back