• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best pack for saddle hunters that pack game out

Mt hunter

Currently using the badlands super day. Would appreciate other recommendations from saddle hunters!!!!

For packing game and or heavy gear I use a bullpac. I posted a while back to see if anyone else used one but didn’t get any responses. It’s an external frame pack that’s rated for something like 300lbs.

Usually no, it has a daypack that quick attaches to the frame. I take the daypack off and leave the aluminum frame at the tree base.

Check out Mystery Ranch. I have a pop up 18. I packed out 3 deer with it this year. It works great for me.

For a pure heavy duty packing rig, these are on sale at PackRabbit right now: https://www.pack-rabbit.com/product/casl/ Also, another consideration from the same company would be this bundle: https://www.pack-rabbit.com/product/bundle-2021-stalker-game-hauler/. I have no affiliation but I did buy the Packrabbit Elite Turkey Hunter-Game Carrier from a fellow SH member for carrying all my stuff for bowhunting gobblers (chair, blind, decoys) and also for predator calling as it has an integrated seat system in the frame. I was thinking about getting one of their new chest harnesses too, then you can carry all your calls and what-not for turkey and coyotes and then use it in the fall for your biners, daisy chain gear hanger, hero clip, even your tethers and rappel line. You can also strap your climbing sticks to the frame... .a lot of options with this system for all game imho.

Kifaru, Exomountain and Stone Glacier will all carry more than you can and remain comfortable. The Kifaru Stryker is/was on sale for 20% off.

I had been studying this and this year will be a stone glacier avail on an x-curve frame. The frame will handle a sky talus 5900 too. This will be my first year saddle hunting. This combo checks all the boxes at least in theory.

That’s about 100# in an Exo 2000. Two elk hind quarters and meat. D5F223AB-CB44-49B8-BC47-E48DC74205E6.jpeg

Kifaru, Exomountain and Stone Glacier will all carry more than you can and remain comfortable. The Kifaru Stryker is/was on sale for 20% off.
This. All three of these companies make packs that are well worth the price. I like kifaru the best but wouldn’t hesitate to use the other two.

Kifaru is a great pack. I really enjoyed the pack I had. However, I am a simple person and the system can be a bit overwhelming. The Exo is a little more simple to use. I agree with cant go wrong with any of the three.

Last edited:
Check out Mystery Ranch. I have a pop up 18. I packed out 3 deer with it this year. It works great for me.
I just bought a mystery ranch pop up 28 late December or early January. For $260.00 my question is how easier is packing out a deer compared to using a deer cart or using a sled for marsh habitat. What type of bags do use put deer meat in and wear can buy them. Mystery backpack is the second best hunting equipment that I bought I really love it's a complete game changer. Never used backpack I would always had a climbing tree stand with a hunting fannypack.

100# on your back is hard work. You might be able to have an easier walk with a cart/sled depending on terrain. Most of the areas I hunt are wilderness and don’t allow wheels of any kind. Plus the terrain isn’t really useable for carts and sleds. So, is the pack worth it? That’s up to you but there is a huge difference between a capable pack and a run of the mill pack. It’s one of those things that you won’t know until you know. MR is a good pack and can be found for decent prices. I’m will to bet if you try a MR, Kifaru, Exo or Stone Glacier with 100# and an Eberlestock, you will see a huge difference. Functional load lifters and stays are extremely important to comfort and function.

I carry around 50 pounds into the woods in my Kifaru 22 mag and frame every trip. That’s climbing method, saddle, and every piece of gear that I think I might ever need. That 50 pounds carries so much better on the Kifaru than it ever did on any badlands or Kuiu pack I owned. The price is steep but the higher end packs are definitely worth it to me. The way I explain it to people is that you use your pack more than you’ll ever use your bow or rifle. And you pay more for those items. Being able to comfortably carry anything I want into the woods has made it more like a simple hike instead of a dreaded exercise walking to my tree. The best part is that with the higher end external frame packs you can carry that load more securely and have everything strapped down tightly so it’s less noise and shifting around.

I’m using a shape charge for whitetail but won’t get close to 50#. My pack for a 6 day elk hunt is about 45# with food and water. The 22 mag is a solid bag. A nice feature of the upper end bag is the ability to change out bag and design the lay out that is right for you.

I’m using a shape charge for whitetail but won’t get close to 50#. My pack for a 6 day elk hunt is about 45# with food and water. The 22 mag is a solid bag. A nice feature of the upper end bag is the ability to change out bag and design the lay out that is right for you.
Yeah I carry too much stuff lol. But that includes everything I could ever want plus backups to most things. Extra clothing, snacks, extra rappel gear, carabiners, backup tab or release, platform, climbing method, kill kit and game bags, basically everything you could need for several days of hunting. I could probably cut that in half and be fine but it carries so well and I like being prepared so I pack it all.

A lot of guys use the Mystery Ranch Pop Up series. I have a 28 and love it although I haven't packed a deer out yet, it's very possible, been done by many, and on my list for this year. If you're patient and look hard enough they can be found used for $200, or new on sale for $220 and up. Seems steep and I said the same, but that's nothing compared to some of the others. The ones that Cline mentioned are great, but they are even more expensive($100-$400 more) but I believe they could indeed make pack outs even easier.

It's all relative, a lot of guys buy a new bow every year, don't do that for 2 years and you can get a really nice pack.

That’s well said. Kifaru is expensive but they are Berry (?) compliant. All USA made and stitched here. So we pay a little more for that and that is important to some. I live out of my pack for most of September and the cost is justified. It may not be for everyone but like mentioned, skip another new purchase or two of you need. Or check Rokslide and AT classifieds for used deals.

Back