• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Short bridge, low tether and ROS

Muskyhunter

I recently bought an ESS Saddle. I am a top of stick scout platform, plus 2-3 squirrel steps bow hunter. I have had the ESS for about a month now and have been playing around with my set up. The ESS has eliminated hip pinch which has allowed me to run a 12 inch total length bridge. I have been running my tether sternum high. This set up is completely comfortable, puts me closer to the tree to blend in with and I can still shoot 360. The tree I practice in is 20 inches in diameter which is about as big of a tree I would hunt out of. My question is for the veteran saddle hunters here. Am I overlooking something with this type of setup and does anyone else do something similar?

I’ve been messing around with a low tether/shortened bridge but run an XL platform and a .5 as platforms so a bit different.

I don’t have a bunch of experience with this yet, but I recommend:

1. Seeing if you get the range of axial rotation you want with the short bridge.

2. Seeing if moving around the tree isn’t too constricted for you or too imbalanced.

3. Seeing if the switch from strong side to weak side is acceptable to you.

Though it Sounds like you’ve done this already.

That's pretty similar to how I plan to hunt from my saddle this year. During practice it feels good and I love the low tether out of my way.

Interesting! Are you walking around the tree for all your shots or can you twist your hips still for week side or 6 o’clock? I too will be using ROS for large portion of my hunting

best bet is to watch eberheart.mad experiance and does everything he does for a reason ..rule of thumb to keeping your geometry erganomic is forehead to sternum.to high saddle rides up to low it pushes your knees into the tree only uncomforitable for me when i was heavyer and only when sitting a while.it limits movement around the tree a little .some trees force me to do one or the other .havent had a problem with either but im stubbern.when its high its not realy in my way it just rides up and when its low im not trying to shoot 360 im hunting 1 side of a trail.i typicaly run it eyes to neck when i can and sternum is the lowest.how much curve the seat has can also effect this.there is a sweet spot in the bridge too where both to long and too short defeat the purpose but dont take my word for it .i dont mind talking just dont like talking like i know about things and stuff.with experiance you will get comfortable.just gotta play around with it

Last edited:
I mostly hunt a short bridge and low tether. If you plan to hunt that way, learn to pivot on the platform--you don't have enough rope to move around the tree on steps.

Interesting! Are you walking around the tree for all your shots or can you twist your hips still for week side or 6 o’clock? I too will be using ROS for large portion of my hunting
I am right handed. On my 20 inch practice tree I need to have squirrel steps at 9, 11 and 3. With this set up I can get from 6 to 10 and from 2 to 3 on the scout. If I use the 9 and 11 squirrel steps I can get from 10 to 2. If I use the 3 squirrel step and scout I can get 3 to 6. Is it a perfect 360, no. But it is really close. Most of the time when I set up I have one or two holes to shoot thru so a true 360 is not important to me. What is important to me is to have enough movement to hide from non target animals while being close to the tree. This seems to satisfy those needs.

Back