• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Oval Quick Link - Why Is It Safe?

What delta link are you all using? I need to order another one, but what I’m finding on Amazon are all “marine grade”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Petzl and Camp both make them, but I think they get theirs from Maillon Rapide. I'd go with an 8mm. The 11mm is way too strong/big and heavy.

I ended up ordering one from EWO this morning, and it’s already on its way. I appreciate the insight.

I ended up ordering one from EWO this morning, and it’s already on its way. I appreciate the insight.

No prob, they even make ultraligth 5 mm ones that are stronger than aluminum carabiners.....but they are so small they look like you are hanging from a key chain! I won't do it.

For rappelling is it critical that the quick link be climbing rated/built by a climbing company? Safety isn’t something to go cheap on I know- but wouldn’t a 5,000 lb. steel towing screw link (found at auto parts and hardware stores) be equal for these purposes?

For rappelling is it critical that the quick link be climbing rated/built by a climbing company? Safety isn’t something to go cheap on I know- but wouldn’t a 5,000 lb. steel towing screw link (found at auto parts and hardware stores) be equal for these purposes?

I wouldn’t be using anything for life support that isn’t rated as such.

Those climbing screw links are made and tested by companies that know a person will be hanging off of it and it is properly certified. They are cheap also.

no way I would use anything else

No prob, they even make ultraligth 5 mm ones that are stronger than aluminum carabiners.....but they are so small they look like you are hanging from a key chain! I won't do it.
The 5mm ones from camp are rated to 25kn. They're not CE certified...but that's almost certaibly because you can't accomodate the CE-defined test mechanism (it wouldn't fit). I use one with oplux and it just barely fits. Also castration band works perfect to keep it in position (be sure to roll it over before descending.

Attachments

• 20201114_070233.jpg
    20201114_070233.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 92
The 5mm ones from camp are rated to 25kn. They're not CE certified...but that's almost certaibly because you can't accomodate the CE-defined test mechanism (it wouldn't fit). I use one with oplux and it just barely fits. Also castration band works perfect to keep it in position (be sure to roll it over before descending.

Seems like a tight bend on that Oplux. Does that worry you?

What delta link are you all using? I need to order another one, but what I’m finding on Amazon are all “marine grade”.

You mean that 1/4” stainless steel “marine grade” delta rated at 4,950lbs? How much do you weigh?:tearsofjoy:

25kN is roughly 5600 # force. You can get 6000# rated oval links at the hardware store.

25kN is roughly 5600 # force. You can get 6000# rated oval links at the hardware store.

Break strength or working load? Also, are they testing according to an industry standard or their own? I would just always trust a climbing company more because they know that people are hanging from these.

What's your guys thoughts on using one of the ones that came with the tree stands I purchased a while ago? They had a steel screw Delta where you attached your harness to the tree. My only complaint is they bound up easily, and often needed a tool to open even after I only closed it by hand. EWO has S.S. ones. Has anyone has issues with them binding up? The down fall to the steel being the corrosion sets fast on the bare metal.

That's a working load limit. With a safety factor of 2 it is easily equal to the 25kN biner.

What's your guys thoughts on using one of the ones that came with the tree stands I purchased a while ago? They had a steel screw Delta where you attached your harness to the tree. My only complaint is they bound up easily, and often needed a tool to open even after I only closed it by hand. EWO has S.S. ones. Has anyone has issues with them binding up? The down fall to the steel being the corrosion sets fast on the bare metal.

Every screw link from a climbing manufacturer I've seen is stainless.

It's only a few bucks, I'd get a new one from a climbing company.

Rated oval links like the one I use 5/16" from Wesspur is rated at 7700 tensile strength(770 WLL) which far exceeds the average aluminum carabiner. Because of their design crossloading is a non issue. While carabiners are convenient anytime there is a possibility of flexing them against the tree and this could be problematic. The links made in France are super strong and are a different animal than the ones you can purchase at Home Depot.

Every screw link from a climbing manufacturer I've seen is stainless.

It's only a few bucks, I'd get a new one from a climbing company.
There are zinc plated screw links from the major climbing gear companies. I bought one made by Mammut, paid for one and they sent a box of six by mistake!

Back