• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

SOT Kayak

Spence71

What’s a “good” mid priced kayak to pick up. Don’t wanna spend 2k. Hahaha. Was thinking the $500ish range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was in the same boat a few years ago (see what I did there?), and couldn't find something new. I ended up with a used ocean kayak 13' that I have zero complaints with. But, that was a lucky craigslist find, basically.

Knot too bad. Hahaha. Yeah. There a few facespaces ones. But I don’t want a sit in. That I do know.

It’s eaither I pick up one of these things or I got get a SC or VA license.... see what happens first. Haha

Get a used one with high weight capacity. They will be heavy to move around but work great. I have mine on their own trailers as I have them rigged out. Look into the feel free lure 13.5. Even the bass pro ascend model is decent. And can be found pretty cheap. Stay away from the cheap Walmart brands. They are death traps. Many SOT now days have a good weight rating. Plenty of used ones out there. I’m assuming your using for fishing and hunting and also these big ones are slower to paddle but man the stability is amazing

There’s a “decent” amount of public around here, within a couple hours, that is easy to get there via boat. A few spots that the only way is by water. So just for use to get to and fro hunting. Maybe throw a line every now and then

If u are trying to use it to hunt would a canoe be an option to u?
I used to have an ocean 2 seater that I had set up to fish out of and I really didn't like it. It was fine for short amounts of time and short paddles from the launch. Heavy, didn't paddle straight, and uncomfortable. I did catch a bunch of fish sitting on it but now as a canoe owner looking back I wish I would have had a canoe vs the kayak. Much more versatile piece of equipment..... IMO canoe is money better spent

Try and envision this scenario....u look on aerial photos and u find a tiny creek on that piece of public u were talking about and u go in to scout it. Once u get there u find out it's navigable but way overgrown and u can only get a little ways in but I can see u can keep going a long way. Ur second time ur going prepared right?... I don't know about u but trying to cut a laid over tree with a chainsaw on a sit on top kayak sounds crazy dangerous and with that saw and gas can ur whole milk crate is full. Even using a handsaw....having ur upper body at 90 degrees from ur legs and doing hard work sounds no fun... It's not the easiest thing to do in a canoe but not bad cause u can turn it whole body toward the work. The limited storage and high center of gravity are limitations.... Again, IMO

Oldtown Predator here. I have 2. The 13' and the 12'. NuCanou is another good one. A comfy seat is a must. Put it in the lower setting if your in moving current or very slow current. Always where your PFD. Ask me how I know! I almost died one day. I got too complacent. I got in a jam, tipped it in 50 degree water in fast current. No PFD. My boots filled with water and I sank. I almost didn't make it to the bank 30yds away. It took everything I had. Very scary! I have 40 years of paddling experience and was WAY too overconfident. I never thought I could get into a jam that quickly and if I did, I thought I could get out of it. I got out of it but BARELY. A PFD would have been a game changer.

I really like my pelican catch 120, very stable, weighs like 50 pounds and can carry like 400 pound load capacity. It is like a barge however not the most nimble but it's comfortable!

If you plan on paddling a long ways or against any current a big sit on top can be like a tank to paddle. I had the 12 ft ascend which is around $500 used and it was a nice kayak with lots of room but hard to paddle and pretty heavy to load and unload, especially with gear. A nice 10 to 11 foot sit in kayak would be alot easier to paddle and load/unload. A canoe would also be easier to paddle and have more room but is tippy and harder to transport.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Back