• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

JRB Hitch for Rappel and Tether applications

John RB

After submission to the International Guild of Knot Tyers and an extensive series of tests, I am releasing this knot in the form of this video. In a conventional saddle hunting situation, my tether is also my rappel rope, set once with the JRB hitch, with no need to use a quick link or to run the line thru to set it, and retrieved with a simple tug after rappel. I also use it in my newest climbing method, to be released asap. I can climb with no sticks and no platform and no throw ball on a crotchless tree using nothing but my climbing rope. If ya have any questions, let me know.

So, you have to be at hunting height before you can tie the JRB Hitch.
I usually SRT up, so not sure it would serve me well, but I’ll give it some thought. I love the quick release aspect! And it’s pretty cool to get to name your own knot! Thanks for posting this

After submission to the International Guild of Knot Tyers and an extensive series of tests, I am releasing this knot in the form of this video. In a conventional saddle hunting situation, my tether is also my rappel rope, set once with the JRB hitch, with no need to use a quick link or to run the line thru to set it, and retrieved with a simple tug after rappel. I also use it in my newest climbing method, to be released asap. I can climb with no sticks and no platform and no throw ball on a crotchless tree using nothing but my climbing rope. If ya have any questions, let me know.
With my climbing method and hunting style, I will probably never use this. But I gotta say, very interesting and well thought out! If I ever decide to change it up, I hope I can remember where to find this!

So, you have to be at hunting height before you can tie the JRB Hitch.
I usually SRT up, so not sure it would serve me well, but I’ll give it some thought. I love the quick release aspect! And it’s pretty cool to get to name your own knot! Thanks for posting this

SRT was my go to rope climbing method. The jrb hitch wouldn’t do any good for SRT. Check out the jrb climbing method though. I need to do some more practice with it but I’m pretty confident I will be using it over SRT for this season. The only downside to it over SRT is you can’t girth hitch the tree over a small limb. Other than that I believe it’ll be a better option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

With my climbing method and hunting style, I will probably never use this. But I gotta say, very interesting and well thought out! If I ever decide to change it up, I hope I can remember where to find this!
Monkey, you can find my system evolving at the JRB Tree Climbing and Saddle Hunting YouTube channel and Facebook group of the same name. Next up is a method for climbing a tree with a rope... but... no throwball... doesn't matter if the tree has branches to pass or not... no sticks... no tether... no platform... no linemans... no tether. Just your climbing rope and you're tied in the whole way.

Back