• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Preferred Stick Attachment Method

Dhamilton1

I have a set of hawk helium sticks that I used last year with a hang on but would like to get away from using the provided buckle straps this year since I’ve ordered a saddle.
What’s the better or preferred attachment method … Amsteel rope, Amsteel daisy chain or tethrd versastrap? Pros and cons of any would be appreciated. Any preferred companies as well.

I bought a set of sticks on here with Amsteel rope and plan to keep that for my method. I can see how a daisy chain would be really nice however. I just don't need it or want to spend the extra money on it at this time. I think it would a little faster but I am in no rush up the tree.

I have a set of hawk helium sticks that I used last year with a hang on but would like to get away from using the provided buckle straps this year since I’ve ordered a saddle.
What’s the better or preferred attachment method … Amsteel rope, Amsteel daisy chain or tethrd versastrap? Pros and cons of any would be appreciated. Any preferred companies as well.
I just finished going through this very same scenario. The following were just some of my thoughts that checked my boxes.

I decided to go with straight 1/4in Amsteel Blue with loop at one end and a bury secured bungee ball at the other.

For some reason, though I have no experience with, I don't like the idea of some extra slack before setting your stick you can get with a daisy chain. Also I wanted a consistent attachment method for both sticks and platform.

I Prefer the slimmer profile of a rope mod opposed to a strap.

I hope this helps. I love my hawk heliums btw.

Is your aim the lightest? Then 7/64 amsteel daisy chain is the choice. Most solid would be standard cam buckle that come with all sticks. Versa straps is a good middle ground. But look up the buckleless method. Basically its the rope mod except you use the stock straps. Does not work with all straps, I think the hawk straps are a little thin for it? But it is what I use now and it is really secured. What I like about the straps is that its not button size dependent. Rope mod work well based on the diameter of the rope you are using. Try them all, you have the stock straps that came with the hawk, test it out.

I have converted one of my hawk minis this year to a cam cleat/rope attachment for 1 sticking. I haven't hunted with it but it works great so far in practice. I got the parts from Dan-o. I also have replaced the buttons with ones from Dan-O as the stock Hawk ones have busted over time just like the suction cups.

I’m currently using the stock Hawk straps without the cam buckles and it does ok, but I think I’m going to switch to 7/64 daisies and utilize the alternate daisy chain method that aerial assault demonstrates on his YouTube channel.

I made my own amsteel daisy's from 1/8" amsteel ordered from dutchware. You can order enough 1/8" amsteel to make (4) 8' daisy's for about $25 shipped. All you need is to go to your local arts-n-crafts store, buy knitting needles ($3) and florist wire ($4) and you can make each in about 30 minutes. Youtube has a ton of videos that go through all of it.

Be warned though, once you realize how easy it is, you'll be ordering more amsteel and coming up with all kinds of fixes for problems you never knew you had.

What’s are you hoping to achieve by ditching the stock straps? There are some methods to get daisy chains tight but be careful going that route or versastraps. It’s easy to unseat the stick ascending especially late season with bulkier boots/clothes. Just a little upward nudge & the stick can drop or kick out after you go to the next one. I got away from them for that reason & toggle between amsteel with a timber hitch or lone wolf straps that have the buckles silenced. Just a couple options……

I run the amsteel on my hawks. I got the whoopie slings. Sometimes I think that part is more work than it is worth vs using a regular daisy chain. All though they still have that option. I never tried them with the stick straps. I used them to hold some pre set sticks on, and never thought I got them tight enough. Probably cause they do better when you "set them". Not sure.

I tried the daisy chain and versa strap and didn’t like either method due to not getting tight enough. I’ve debated trying the rope mod but I really don’t want to deal with untying half hitches when my fingers are froze.

What specific cam buckle would that be?

the original predator platforms shipped with a very low profile cam buckle that grips really tight. Haven’t seen them since. I acquired two myself and that’s what I use for one sticking.

Woven daisy chains from EWO work great on Hawks, that's what I use. You just have to master the attachment, which requires looping it on the button with the stick kicked sideways, with the bottom standoff off the tree. Then pull it towards your chest and rotate into position, applying some weight to settle and lock it. It sounds complicated, but it's not. I think most people who give up on the daisy chains just hold the stick to the tree and try and stretch the strap, but it will never get tight enough that way.

Edit: just watch the video above.

I used versa straps last year and they worked fine. I just got tired of trying to separate them with gloves on to get it around the button. I’m going back to the amsteel rope.

Who has tried daisy chain and the whoopsie daisy? Which is better and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use 1/4 daisy from ewo. If you use the method as posted about they are great. I use them on novix minis with 18” cable aiders. I have yet to have them slide down the tree , come loose ascending , or kickout.
Just practice practice practice ! I can do them in the dark really easy. The sticks usually seat close to the same as cam straps . Straps stretch, Amsteel not so much. Packability and speed was my biggest gains. Ewo daisys with shock cord is nice. I could see hawk sticks with non rotating standoffs maybe being a slight bit tougher to get tight and quietly attach. I had to kinda slide the top of my hawk sticks into positions. The novix/lw will just pivot on the top bracket. But learn the feel. Get comfy with them. Things to consider , cost , are you setting and leaving or run and gun , what system you work best with and feel most confident with.

Who has tried daisy chain and the whoopsie daisy? Which is better and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had made and tried a whoopie and didn't like it. The problem was the bury for the adjustable loop would press against the tree and made it difficult to cinch down and/or loosen. The daisy chain is far easier.

Back