• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

is 1 sticking a fad.

The other thing I like about that is you can go back down and come back up in the evening if you wanna leave it set up. It also makes it easier to go around limbs. Those things are more difficult one sticking.

Oh that’s the other piece I forgot to mention. I pack along a kong futura. It is extremely light weight. I just twist my tether off the side of my platform, rappel down, zip back up SRT, recenter my tether.

I'm a well-used 40 year old (still a young buck in some circles) and from everything I've seen, 1-sticking is the hardest to do for someone with a bad back, arthritis, etc.

Sticks are the easiest but height is limited. This can be extended with aiders but can be a PITA descending, especially in the dark. SRT is probably the second most fluid but requires staging trees with paracord or a fair amount of messing around with the right tree to get the rigging set before climbing. For me, 2TC is the easiest and most comfortable to get decent heights (tree dependent).

With my back, knees and shoulder, inch-worming up a tree is smooth and straight forward with less "stuff" than even sticks. Essentially, I just stand up and sit down. SRT would be even better but like I said, it requires more pre-planning.

I also realize that as I write this, there's 60+ year old's out there with less wear and tear than me :(

I'm 62 with a bad back, on/off sciatica, torn bicep in each arm and a double hernia (I'm not making any of this up), last year one-sticking was my main climbing method and will be this year as well.

I think 2TC is much safer because the overall movement is much shorter, BUT I think it’s a bit harder than one sticking so I don’t think it will ever gain mass popularity.
Nah... It'll never gain mass popularity because the entire setup costs almost nothing (compared to most other methods) and stealth strips don't really adhere to the components.

1sticking is another tool in the belt, its neither an end all be all or such a pain it's not worth the effort.
It has its merits that make it worth it under certain circumstances and I think we should all get proficient enough to where we can utilize it if required, such as a situation where a stick falls or kicks out below you. Learning to single stick down could be a game changer there. Or if your going way back lugging just 1 stick could be much simpler.

That's just my 2c
i agrea .about it being a tool in the belt .i think every thing is a tool even myself.i havent made this tool yet .because i gues i was hopeing for a 2 t system

I think it is a fad but so is saddle hunting. The masses will try it and at the end only a selected small group will stay in the community. Some people just do not like the sensation of hanging from a tree for a long time without feeling a solid support like a seat. 'Try everything, find your niche', I feel like a good portion of this forum went full steam ahead with saddle hunting but some now consider it just another tool in the box, or even found that they don't even need to get on a tree to hunt the way they want to hunt, that staying on the ground with a good chair against a good tree is perfect for them, looking at you @Nutterbuster. But they stick around the forum because it is a good forum.

I think the popularity of social media helps saddle hunting more than anything. Say what you want about climbers, they are easier to learn to use, the fact is that they been around for decades and people have been successful with them for decades. Sometimes people just want the easier thing in life to get the job done. Try finding an manual truck or SUV in today's world. My last bachelor SUV was manual, the salesman honestly didn't even know that they had a manual in my model until I showed it to him, I had to even drove it out of the storage lot because he couldn't find someone who can drive a manual to get it for me.

But in regards to 1 sticking or 2TC, its not that much more of a benefit then using 3-4 sticks with aider. You are saving......what 5-6 lbs? if your goal is under 30 ft. I can't think of anything easier then SRT with a preset if you have done your scouting, but 1 stick has the advantage in mobility. Correction: ladder stand with safety line on private land beats all in regards to ease and safety.

Both 1 sticking and 2TC system/design has gone a long way and everyone has what they preferred. There is no perfect system. But I do believe 1 sticking AND saddle hunting will always be a niche style once everyone on YouTube ran out of 'new' ideas and company ran out of designs. There is just so many ways you can do stuff.

For me, one sticking has 4 big advantages over a set of sticks:

That 5 or 6 pound weight savings is huge for me on a long walk in, and especially on the walk out.

I find it easier to climb without having to haul/manage my other sticks on the climb.

I enjoy climbing with this method and practice whenever I can.

The biggest (for me) is not having to spend time, in the dark, at the end of the hunt, packing sticks.

2TC probably has those advantages in spades, but one sticking is working out so well for me I have no reason to change.

For me, one sticking has 4 big advantages over a set of sticks:

That 5 or 6 pound weight savings is huge for me on a long walk in, and especially on the walk out.

I find it easier to climb without having to haul/manage my other sticks on the climb.

I enjoy climbing with this method and practice whenever I can.

The biggest (for me) is not having to spend time, in the dark, at the end of the hunt, packing sticks.

2TC probably has those advantages in spades, but one sticking is working out so well for me I have no reason to change.

Good points. I agree with them except as you point out, its not a deal breaker for everyone. I loved my XOP sticks with the connection system, except they didn't last! They were heavy but man packing and unpacking them were so easy. The new system look like a big improvement but I'm not in the market for sticks anymore.

I ran with a sling pack like the V3 Outlaw with my sticks strapped to the front, swing the pack to my chest and climb with them connected to each other, detach one by one as I went up and down, way easier then one sticking, but man those XOP sticks are heavy.

I have yet to try one stick climbing. Had a few moments in the classifieds where I though "just buy it and try it out". But, still holding out. Really trying hard to keep what I have because I like it and it works great for me. However, that little guy on my shoulder keeps whispering in my ear "try something new"

I have yet to try one stick climbing. Had a few moments in the classifieds where I though "just buy it and try it out". But, still holding out. Really trying hard to keep what I have because I like it and it works great for me. However, that little guy on my shoulder keeps whispering in my ear "try something new"

Dont do it. You will end up sweaty and worn out by the time you get to platform height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You probably have just about everything you need already???

Dont do it. You will end up sweaty and worn out by the time you get to platform height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look how young and in shape he is...
There's nuthin' to it.

You probably have just about everything you need already???

Look how young and in shape he is...
There's nuthin' to it.
I don't own one climbing stick anymore. We'll see I am sure it'll be something I try this spring/summer. Sure someone close or a friend will buy one for me to try out.

Back