• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Catalyst Ion

IDK, platform size is nice. But, I think its pretty well built as is. There is a sweet spot with these things.

If the platform gets to big I have an issue with it hitting my shins stepping up on to it.
But I agree there probably is a sweet spot and to be honest I only had a one hour set in it today we will see what I think after 4 hours plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got to try it but you know how you turn a stick sideways to get to the next daisy link. I'm wondering if I can do this with the ion and get it to bite the tree better at height. I actually don't have much of a issue myself but I can see where it has a little more fiddle to get it set
I tried this gets the rope tighter, but doesn't give you much to set the stick.

I tried some 6mm accessory cord, but liked the amsteel more.

The cam cleat rope combo is growing on me.

Personally I believe the ion is the best option out currently (not that your able to purchase anymore) but with that said there are things that could be improved upon…
Ex. The post should’ve been moved out and slightly less radius on the teeth would’ve helped with the side to side roll action.

All in all it’s a killer stick and I’m glad I have one to use this year. I’d imagine we’re only starting to see the tip of this one sticking iceberg so I doubt it will be long before there are other killer options to choose from.

I’d imagine we’re only starting to see the tip of this one sticking iceberg so I doubt it will be long before there are other killer options to choose from.

Probably. The options seem pretty good already. And the ceiling?

I feel like next year, we should be on similar ground with no-sticking platforms.

Last edited:
If you are hitting your shins on the ION you are absolutely destroying your shins if you are using a scout or UP with your EWO stick. It comes out further…
I was surprised by this comment, because I’ve never had this issue with the straight scout, at all. Went out and checked and you were right.

Got to thinking about it and it has to do with how I place my feet on the bottom step. On the EWO, it’s always at an angle or my toes. On the Ion my feet naturally want to sit on top of the larger step.

I was surprised by this comment, because I’ve never had this issue with the straight scout, at all. Went out and checked and you were right.

Got to thinking about it and it has to do with how I place my feet on the bottom step. On the EWO, it’s always at an angle or my toes. On the Ion my feet naturally want to sit on top of the larger step.

I had guessed a 1/2" difference but it's a bit more.

E849E7C8-DF85-4C96-9C8A-10FF5BD1F405.png319B85CA-3CAD-448B-B3D4-91684B3FA055.png

I got my stick Wednesday and finally got a few climbs with it. My first impression it's a quality stick that'll last a long time. I don't have other sticks to compare it to, but I think it bites the tree extremely well. My uncle kept saying "man I keep watching for that rope to slide or that stick to move but it won't budge" lol. The cam cleat works great. I didn't have any problem with it being loud if I took the rope out slowly. There was a little roll on the top platform along with a little flex. Metal flexes so I'm not sure how much better it could get. I didn't come close to hitting my shins when climbing. I have size 12 boots and there was plenty of room on the bottom step to climb. I like the traction grooves on the top platform, but I think catalyst forgot to run a chamfer program at the end because there were some decent burrs. It's an awesome stick and I would recommend buying one of you can get it used on the classifieds.

I was able to get one off FB and am rather impressed with it. The backwoods mobile aiders are really nice. The stick is machined well and I love that no bolts are sticking out. Mine weighed in at 4.06lbs vs. my EWO with flat monarch at 3.04lbs and sh1kar with angled monarch at 2.81lbs.

I hope everyone has gotten theirs in that was on the first order.

I like standing on the EWO stick with the flat monarch better than standing on the ION. Its solid under foot and seems a little bigger depth wise than the ION. But I like climbing with the ION better. The flat monarch is a shin killer and the ION is way easier to disengage from the tree. For that reason I prefer the ION. I ran into situations last year where the EWO stick would set and dig in and I had a hell of a time removing the stick. The ION seems to come up easily every time.

Depending on your view either one would be your preference. Tough call… which is why I still own them both…:)

I have the ION and the EWO UP. I have found the ION is simply too narrow for me and even though its not a lot, the extra width on the EWP UP makes all the difference. The design and construction of the ION is incredible, but I doubt it will ever see tree time unless something breaks on my EWO UP.

I like standing on the EWO stick with the flat monarch better than standing on the ION. Its solid under foot and seems a little bigger depth wise than the ION. But I like climbing with the ION better. The flat monarch is a shin killer and the ION is way easier to disengage from the tree. For that reason I prefer the ION. I ran into situations last year where the EWO stick would set and dig in and I had a hell of a time removing the stick. The ION seems to come up easily every time.

Depending on your view either one would be your preference. Tough call… which is why I still own them both…:)

I don’t understand how you guys are whacking your shins on the monarch. I am not. I just don’t get it.

I haven't hit my shins any but maybe I just watch it more then I think I do. I do agree about the ewo stick biting the tree crazy hard. Sometimes it takes a foot and pulling on the handle to get it off the tree.

Back