• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Are leg straps an absolute

207bowhunter

SH Member
So i have a rookie saddle question. I just received my new method 2 and it didnt come with leg straps, i contacted them and im sure they will take care of it, in the meantime is it ok to try it out? Are they an absolute when at height? I bought the regular and really want to try it to make sure i dont want to exchange it for the xl

You've stepped into one of the perennial saddle hunting debates. Some say leg straps are not only necessary, but should be made with all climbing rated components. Others say they aren't necessary at all.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I'd say it's more to do with your climbing method that anything.

If using sticks and not sitting at height, the load (your body) is largely horizontal or at an angle. For that, leg straps are probably not necessary. Where the straps come into play is when there's a vertical load (body directly below the tether or anchor point) such as with 1-sticking, 2TC or sitting at height. The leg straps help prevent the saddle from slipping up your body. How much of an issue this is is where the debate begins.

That said, the method is a 2-piece saddle with the lower panel essentially a bosen's chair so there's that.

If I am using my platform and have my tether tight I don't use the leg straps with the method. I will probably use them when I am using the stand with a hybrid setup. As long as you have no slack in your system I don't see any need for them with the method. Just my opinion.

Thanks, like i said i really wanna get some sits to see if i like it or if i should exchange for the xl i will use leg straps when hunting

You've stepped into one of the perennial saddle hunting debates. Some say leg straps are not only necessary, but should be made with all climbing rated components. Others say they aren't necessary at all.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Very true. Also be aware of the fact that some leg straps/loops are not really load bearing, they are mostly meant to keep the saddle strap to you and the actual saddle webbing is holding the weigh. A lot of the manufactures have leg straps because it help prevent lawsuit from user's error and meet regulation for being a harness device. Arborists have been climbing trees for decades with just a belt and D rings, but newer one have leg straps because safety principles are usually improved with time and statistics. I'm in the camp of rather have them on, they don't hurt anything. I'm not saying you are going to fall because you do not have them, I'm saying they are not a hinder so why not use them.

It is very hard to fall out of a saddle, its possible but IMHO you have to be actively TRYING to fall out. I have leg straps using climbing rated materials. To be honest, I don't understand why some people are so against them. I mean, its not like you need them super tight. Even if you have to 'climb' into the saddle because of the leg straps, its only a few more seconds. I found SRT or 1 sticking with the leg straps just 'feel' more secured. But again, each his own.

Keep in mind that resale values will be affected if you plan to sell it.

So i have a rookie saddle question. I just received my new method 2 and it didnt come with leg straps,

A week and a half ago I got a first gen Method from here.
It didn't come with the leg straps or a waist belt. I made a rope belt for it and tried it out WITHOUT the leg straps...

I LIKE IT A LOT !

Latitude sent me a set immediately, being new to saddle hunting im not sure if i need them or not but ill start out with them

Only tried it once and loved it, ended up having a hip replaced tis week so hopefully im healed up and ready to saddle hunt by September. I also sold my cruzr xc and ordered the latitude classic 2 for my wife..i love the simplicity of it and the compact fit. My plans are for short saddle hunts to start off with

I use them and don't use them depending on my positioning in the tree. I lean 99% of the time and it seems to keep the saddle cupping me. When I sit I loosen them all the way off. I consider leg straps like a concealed weapon. "It is better to have and not need, than to need and not have"

I guess I should also state, I don't use them for safety, I use them for keeping things comfortable.

Last edited:
I have a Method and I don't wear mine. I also 1 stick and I never had an issue. Just keep the waist belt/rope tight and you'll be good.

Thanks had it on Tuesday and besides stiffness its already an improvement. Little worried that saddle hunting might hurt but doctor says that it shouldn't. Jx3 and a lwcg is my backup plan or ill try a ghille sute if it lets me bow hunt

^^^ Determination!

Kinda reminds me of 1995, I got smashed up pretty bad in a car wreck. Dr.s said I might not walk again.

I was bummed, but in the back of my mind I KNEW I was going to bowhunt that year even if I had to paint my wheelchair camouflage...

Shot my first wall hanger that year!

Thanks had it on Tuesday and besides stiffness its already an improvement. Little worried that saddle hunting might hurt but doctor says that it shouldn't. Jx3 and a lwcg is my backup plan or ill try a ghille sute if it lets me bow hunt
Just don't push it to hard, would rather miss September than screw a new hip up or get in a bind 20' in a tree. Had mine done last July and was good to go end of September, but I don't hunt the first part....to hot. At 7 weeks I was good, best advise I can give you is to DO YOUR THERAPY and CONTINUE to exercise/stretch the rest of your days. You'll do well and life will be better, remember........Motion is Lotion.

Back