• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First time tether slipping (latitude outdoors)

Bmoore

Hi guys, new to saddle hunting and new to the forum. I’ll try to make this as concise as possible.
Just got a latitude method saddle as well as the latitude lineman’s belt and thether. Never saddle hunted before so I hung my platform on a tree at ground level and got set up on the saddle to try and build some confindance in the system. As I set up I noticed that when I tightened my tether and then sat back the schwabisch hitch wouldn’t catch at all when I leaned back unless I really tugged on the bridge first. After a few adjustments I got comfortable with this and was able to adjust the tether and get it to snag when I leaned back against it.
Then I wanted to test slipping off the platform so I basically let both my feet go assuming I would swing into the tree but basically not move. Well the hitch slid down the tether about 1-2 feet. As I dangled there with my feet out my butt was almost to the platform. It did eventually catch but was jolting for sure. So I decided to test soem more and bounced a bit and the hitch would keep sliding slowly down the tether.
the whole experience has really done the opposite and scared me out fo the saddle a bit. No confidence gained. I feel as though if I were to slip off the platform at hinting height the hitch will slip of the tether and I’m droppping. I guess my questions are as follows,

has anyone else experienced this?
Is there’s something I need to be doing to get the hitch to work properly?
Sorry for the long post but I’m just trying to get some feedback from people who know. This all happened on my very first attempt out of the box so I have time to play with everythigg by to get more comfortable but we’re off to a shaky start.
Thanks in advance for any help you guys ca provide.

Could be just new rope and cord needs some wear to hold better, or your hitch might need another wrap to keep from slipping, or you can reset it each time it is unweighted, not ideal though.

Could be just new rope and cord needs some wear to hold better, or your hitch might need another wrap to keep from slipping, or you can reset it each time it is unweighted, not ideal though.
Thanks for the reply. I did some research and it seems maybe I do just need to break them in a bit.
The part that was most frightening was that the tether was tight from leaning against it fro a few minutes before I let my feet go and the hitch still slipped. So it should have already been under tension enough to stop the slide. It didn’t free fall down the rope, but it slid for sure.

As an extra safety, add a knot (alpine butterfly) in the tether, directly under the schwabisch hitch to prevent sliding down the tether.

I had a similar issue with my distel hitch. One thing that helped was to pull top coils as tight as possible. It seemed like the bottom coils were engaging the tether, but the weight in the hitch wouldn’t fully tighten the top.

It could also be the combination of types of rope don’t provide enough bite

Is there a specific way to get your ropes broken in well? How do you tell when the knots are gonna be good and set firm?

EE8E9699-B610-4391-AF8F-E64C100F8FE6.jpg
If this is what you have, looks like enough cord to add a wrap, the Technora covers on the cord and rope are slippery when used together. Wear from use might not be enough to make it grab.

View attachment 49181
If this is what you have, looks like enough cord to add a wrap, the Technora covers on the cord and rope are slippery when used together. Wear from use might not be enough to make it grab.
I believe that is what I have. I don’t understand why they would sell cords that wouldn’t be compatible. As a compete noob I assumed by buying a tether instead of ropes and tying it myself would ensure a solid system without my input. Seems like a bad idea for a company to sell a system that doesn’t work.

Ive bought 2 sets of these and had not issues at all. They bite great. Could something else be happening?

Ive bought 2 sets of these and had not issues at all. They bite great. Could something else be happening?
I have zero experience and this all happens the first time I tried them out. So I put this post up to see if it’s me, the gear, or if there’s something else going on. I really have no clue. Haha. So that’s my questions as well, what could be happening?

Ya its tough to know too bad you couldnt video it there are a lot of guys with a lot of know-how on here.
Im new to this like you and have gained a lot on here. Maybe talk to the latitude folks thier service is second to none...good luck

That is a reason I don't use hitches. I run mechanicals, ropeman and Kong duck. If you don't dress right then bad stuff. My ropeman's and ducks hav never slipped.

Ive thought the same but struggle to know if there is a device safe with this small of a rope

I haven't used the CT yet, but heard good things. I am not telling you to climb out of spec, BUT do your own testing. Buy one of each and do your own testing on your ropes (you can sell the ones you don't want in the classifieds for almost full price)

For us newbies what exactly is meant by adding a wrap. The should I add the wrap from the top or bottom?

For us newbies what exactly is meant by adding a wrap. The should I add the wrap from the top or bottom?

Hey bud, take a picture of your set up right before you put weight on it. It may be as simple as you haven't tightened the hitch down enough yet. This would consist of take those two ends of the hitch cord that go to your caribiner and working the slack out of them until the line is tight. While keeping it tight, go ahead and apply some pressure to the hitch. I have noticed that with certain hitches they need to be tightened up as I call it before you go about your business. I would consider this just part of the territory in using hitches. Once you weight it completely it may be a little tighter to undo but should ultimately returned to that locked position easily in the future.

If you don't mind sharing how much do you weigh? Since they are friction hitches you may need to add a wrap if youre a full grown man. If you are going to add a wrap I would suggest doing some reading and become familiar with the hitches intently before climbing with them. Just because you bought a set up tether from the store does not mean it fool proof.

Lastly, I still prefer a prussic for my tether. It to me bites harder than any other hitch. There's just a little getting use to it and you can undo it and move it up and down very easily. I may try to get a video of that for you to consider.

If you go the retie or add wraps method check this video out as a starter

Back