• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best Single Bevel Broadhead

Single bevel can be a pain if the bevel angle is off from ur sharpening jig...u are removing so much more material vs double bevel. It may take a while to get the jig angle cut but once it's finished it takes no time to get them back to sharp.
Yeah, I think this was the case with my cutthroats. May have been off just a touch from the factory, so it took a lot more effort to get they where they needed to be. Now that they are there it's cake.

I get my HC mini this week and I'm excited to see how they fly. Should be fun!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

These are new but the Iron Will single bevels are definitely a contender. The steel they use provides exceptional edge retention, by far the best I’ve seen in that category. They fly great as expected from a small fixed blade. The size is the only potential negative. I’m using the 150 grain SB buffs (no bleeder). The entry and exit will be small.

Iron Will 150 SB buff below the 150 wide double bevel.

454074d895546a53ef8c0a2cb2570b48.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently watched a video from Innovative Outdoorsman, Ron Kulas, go over edge retention and blade angles on youtube for single bevels. Pretty much the 20-25 degree bevels will have more rotation, but they sacrifice edge retention at that. He demonstrated how you could warp the edge with light pressure from a wooden dowel.

However you can sharpen just the tip of the edge to say 30 degrees, maintain the rotation of the blade and reap the benefits of a stiffer edge. It was a pretty cool video.

I thinks the "best" would be the tightest tolerance, 3to1, made of the highest quality steel. I don't know with manufacture makes that 1

So the only guy who makes a 3 to 1 wins?
No cause it's not the highest quality steel. But who defines highest quality steel? I mean S7 might be the best if you dont have to resharpen or maybe it's 1095 cause it's cheap and super easy to sharpen. If not for the single bevel criteria, you could argue spitfire or grim reaper or sevr. Closer to a true 3:1 than most fixed blades, super sharp, easy to resharpen by replacing blades, tight tolerances. I am convinced now, mechanicals are the best.

No cause it's not the highest quality steel. But who defines highest quality steel? I mean S7 might be the best if you dont have to resharpen or maybe it's 1095 cause it's cheap and super easy to sharpen. If not for the single bevel criteria, you could argue spitfire or grim reaper or sevr. Closer to a true 3:1 than most fixed blades, super sharp, easy to resharpen by replacing blades, tight tolerances. I am convinced now, mechanicals are the best.
I was just saying it sounded like he wanted the tightest quality and nicest 3 to 1 out there. Sounded too simple.

I'll leave this one alone. I just got done zeroing some chinadermics.

I was just saying it sounded like he wanted the tightest quality and nicest 3 to 1 out there. Sounded too simple.
IMO it is that simple. I don't hunt enough or kill enough animals to justify super high dollar steel. I choose my price point, look at the construction (1 piece, 3to1), and make an educated decision. They might not be the "best" but I can get them sharp and shooting straight so that's all that really matters to me...I don't care who made them. I have confident in them so that's half the battle. I lucked out and scored some used for a good price that carry a lifetime warranty so I should be good for a while if I don't loose any.

I have shot and sharpened both Grizzlystik and Iron Will single bevel broadheads with amazing success. With the limited amount of time I get to spend in the woods I prefer to have the best quality equipment I can afford to minimize failure and both those broadheads are high quality.

IMO it is that simple. I don't hunt enough or kill enough animals to justify super high dollar steel. I choose my price point, look at the construction (1 piece, 3to1), and make an educated decision. They might not be the "best" but I can get them sharp and shooting straight so that's all that really matters to me...I don't care who made them. I have confident in them so that's half the battle. I lucked out and scored some used for a good price that carry a lifetime warranty so I should be good for a while if I don't loose any.
Excuse the ignorance but what brand are you talking about?

Back