• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Biggest obstacles during hunting

SaddlePredator

This is my first year in thw saddle and had shot some targets, but what is the biggest obstacles from the saddle set up during a hunt? Is the tree tether or platform an obstacle in anyway or does it just depend where the deer is? What are your thoughts on limiting factors of a saddle or what did you do to alleviate them?

If you’re not in saddle shape you’re gonna be uncomfortable until you are and that only comes from sitting. I don’t feel the tether is limiting because you’re gonna be rotated anyway to take the shot. Your stance is different shooting from a saddle vs stand so continue to work on that. I guess a limiting factor of a platform, especially if you’re running a smaller one is trying to rotate around a tree for a far side shot but if you’re using a RoS that shouldn’t be a problem or if you’re using a larger platform that’s set correctly you should be able to step off the side with confidence

"Don't be finding out new stuff when the time comes to know what you're doing" - Crusty Old Army Sergeant.

In my opinion this is the single biggest obstacle. Guys will practice their climbing and their setup. They'll shoot their bows. But a lot of guys won't put it all together and climb, with their bow to hunting height, setup your gear hanger. See what it'll take to get around to shoot your 3 oclock shot. All this stuff should be clear in your head before you have a deer in front of you.

If you’re not in saddle shape you’re gonna be uncomfortable until you are and that only comes from sitting. I don’t feel the tether is limiting because you’re gonna be rotated anyway to take the shot. Your stance is different shooting from a saddle vs stand so continue to work on that. I guess a limiting factor of a platform, especially if you’re running a smaller one is trying to rotate around a tree for a far side shot but if you’re using a RoS that shouldn’t be a problem or if you’re using a larger platform that’s set correctly you should be able to step off the side with confidence
I second everything you just said. Getting used to different pressure points, learning to fully trust your equipment and learning that not all shots are available on a platform. A ROS gives more shot selection but less comfort. And shooting from a saddle is different than shooting from the ground or a stand! Great advice!

This is my first year in thw saddle and had shot some targets, but what is the biggest obstacles from the saddle set up during a hunt? Is the tree tether or platform an obstacle in anyway or does it just depend where the deer is? What are your thoughts on limiting factors of a saddle or what did you do to alleviate them?
[/QUOTE
I believe you’ll find these responses somewhat repetitive, if seasoned hunters are responding. First the tether is not “in the way” unless you are standing on the platform and spinning for a weak side shot. I don’t do this, I always keep a couple squirrel steps and I walk the backside of the tree. The platform won’t be an obstacle, however learning to properly set platforms takes a few tries in the yard. I suggest you practice setting them at height as well just for real simulator experience. The two biggest “obstacles” would be learning to adjust to trusting your equipment and the new pressure points you’ll experience. You are essentially hanging from a couple of straps. Yes there’s mesh or cordura on there as well but they spread weight distribution, the webbing is still your support. It takes a few long (think hour or longer) sits in the yard to really fully adjust to that new pressure and to learn to trust yourself in it.
The second obstacle is shooting from a saddle. In my opinion it’s easier to keep good form while shooting from a saddle. I have heard guys complain though about it. Always climb your tree, check your shooting lanes, and draw your bow to double check your gear is functioning and that your shooting lanes are clear. Those “obstacles” can all be negated by doing one simple thing- Practice.
Practice trusting the equipment and learning your system at ground level. Then practice everything including your climb and gear set up at height.

I guess I don’t look at anything as a limiting factor. Most everything just takes practice and knowledge of your gear. For be the thing that I struggled with at first was how to attach my gear to the tree and where to locate everything. Once I came up with a good system and location I couple replicate each time in the stand my confidence and comfort went way up.
When it comes to tether and Platform if you learn how to use them correctly there is almost no shot you can’t take.

Getting comfortable. What you may think is comfortable by sitting for a few minutes in your backyard isn’t the same from 20 feet for several hours.

I will second familiarity of your set up is one of the biggest factors. You will never be able to accommodate for trees, branches, winds. Every set up is a little different. You need to be thinking and moving on your feet. Don't worry about height, don't worry about things from your couch. When you get to your tree and start to climb then worry about your set up. I killed a bunch of deer last year 10 feet up. I could have climbed 20, but I was above the canopy. Your platform is what fits your feet. I hunt a mission, I can spin and shoot a deer directly behind me at 20 yards, did it. I think a ROS would have gotten me busted because I would have left the back cover of the tree and been backlit. And the perfect tree may not be the perfect tree when you get to height, (backlit, branch from another tree, lean in the tree you didn't notice from the ground, get to height and notice a deer trail closer to another tree.....)

All that being said, the biggest obstacle is being dead set in hunting the way you decided to hunt yesterday and not what the woods are giving you today. Never be afraid to change.

This will be my first year hunting out of a saddle as well and I can say with all the practice I've done so far its been very beneficial. Like anything else though real life situations will be the best practice. I know I'll probably get busted a few times this year but to me that is ok. I need to learn what I can and cannot do. Mistakes will happen but just let those mistakes NOT be life threatening. I've never been a person to rush around. Even if I am running late who cares. I'd rather get up safe then rush and have an accident happen.

It’s not a bad idea to simulate full setup several times before going in to hunt. Setting up in the broad daylight in familiar territory is a world of difference from setting up in the dark in a tree you have never been in before.

When going through your setup pay careful attention to any difficulties you come across or noises you make. Work to eliminate them buy changing your process one step at a time or silencing your equipment. Get your process dialed and get comfortable doing it before taking it afield.

It will take several sits before you figure out the adjustments, how they effect your comfort in the saddle and the setup that works best for you. Don’t give up!

Beware of Murphy’s law.

I think the biggest learning curve for me was having to lift the bow all the way over my bridge to shoot weak side when a deer came from the direction I hadn’t planned. Which was like 90% of the time!! The first few deer caught my movement and busted out of there. From there on when prime time was approaching i would actually rest my bow or gun on my bridge basically in my lap so I could shift to strong or weak side without tons of movement.

I second everything you just said. Getting used to different pressure points, learning to fully trust your equipment and learning that not all shots are available on a platform. A ROS gives more shot selection but less comfort. And shooting from a saddle is different than shooting from the ground or a stand! Great advice!
I don't agree with this assessment of ROS vs. platform. Having hunted off both for multiple seasons, I would contend you have the same shot selections on a platform, with a higher level of comfort.

I think the biggest learning curve for me was having to lift the bow all the way over my bridge to shoot weak side when a deer came from the direction I hadn’t planned. Which was like 90% of the time!! The first few deer caught my movement and busted out of there. From there on when prime time was approaching i would actually rest my bow or gun on my bridge basically in my lap so I could shift to strong or weak side without tons of movement.

I have never lifted my bow over my bridge. Nor would I even try it in a hunting situation ROS walk around the tree. Platform pivot around to shoot weakside.

I have never lifted my bow over my bridge. Nor would I even try it in a hunting situation ROS walk around the tree. Platform pivot around to shoot weakside.
Never hunted off a platform (will be trying for the first time this year) but am looking forward to being able to use the “pivot” move. The trees I’ve been in are always a little too big for me to fully walk around using my ROS, this necessitating the over the bridge move. I definitely try to pick smaller trees now for sure. Hey we just found another learning curve area! Pick appropriately sized trees if possible!

I don't agree with this assessment of ROS vs. platform. Having hunted off both for multiple seasons, I would contend you have the same shot selections on a platform, with a higher level of comfort.
Really? On what size tree? On any platform even the giant mission, you are limited shooting the back of the tree towards the weak side on a large tree. Or how about a leaning tree? I mean all trees can’t be perfect basket ball size and straight up and down. But that’s the beauty of this site we can agree to disagree. Many people twist and do the bow over the bridge for a weak side shot. I disagree with that as well. Now as I’ve stated numerous times the best of both worlds is a good platform and a couple of slotted squirrel steps on the back side. Then you have all the comfort and do not lose shot selection.

Back