• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hickory Creek Koolaid

I've just finished this whole thread......I've been very interested in the mini for awhile. What is the consensus on fixed blade broadheads.....what do you owners shoot? I really think that I want to hunt with fixed blades and it's been an issue for some guy to keep accuracy with them. What do you use and weights? Thanks
I am using 300 spine black eagle micro diameters with 150 grain Magnus buzzcuts. dead nuts.

Can someone take a picture or point me to the reticle on the scope?

Don't have one yet but doing research and noticing that some people says its "busy".

Thanks!

Here in Michigan all bows or firearms need to be cased for transport in a vehicle (less CPL exceptions). A search of the this thread turned up @bj139's approach. What are some of the rest of you HC Koolaid drinkers using for a transport case? My daughter has asked for a case for hers for Christmas this year.

The way I read the Michigan regs, we'd be good as long as as you don't have an arrow knocked?

1626463995023.png

Fits in a regular xbow case with room for extras too. I have on from Allen as I also have a Carbon Express XBow I won a few years ago.

Has anyone swapped a Mini from right to left handed? Are more parts required, or can you do it with what's on hand?

So @kyler1945 planted this little seed last season. He mentioned a small reflex red dot site being nice on the mini. I have been kicking it around all summer, especially since my craptastic scope finally quit adjusting.

Lo and behold, my local hunting buddy decided to go up a tier with his Nutterbuster Friendship Package and gited me a Fastfire 3 for my birthday.

Got it installed last night and have mixed feelings. The site itself is awesome and I will probably buy another one for my Browning Buckmark and quite possibly one for the CZ 512.

I'm conflicted on how I like it on the mini. On one hand, it shaves a noticeable amount of weight off of the bow and I like the site picture more than the scope. I personally think even 3x magnification on a weapon you're usually using at 20 yards is dumb. On the other hand, kyler was right about the dot being a little too bright in the evenings.

I guess I'll have to shoot it more.

So @kyler1945 planted this little seed last season. He mentioned a small reflex red dot site being nice on the mini. I have been kicking it around all summer, especially since my craptastic scope finally quit adjusting.

Lo and behold, my local hunting buddy decided to go up a tier with his Nutterbuster Friendship Package and gited me a Fastfire 3 for my birthday.

Got it installed last night and have mixed feelings. The site itself is awesome and I will probably buy another one for my Browning Buckmark and quite possibly one for the CZ 512.

I'm conflicted on how I like it on the mini. On one hand, it shaves a noticeable amount of weight off of the bow and I like the site picture more than the scope. I personally think even 3x magnification on a weapon you're usually using at 20 yards is dumb. On the other hand, kyler was right about the dot being a little too bright in the evenings.

I guess I'll have to shoot it more.

Does the fastfire 3 not have brightness adjustment? I know for all those smaller red dot sights it's about 50/50 on if they do.

Show us a few pictures with it on there!

Does the fastfire 3 not have brightness adjustment? I know for all those smaller red dot sights it's about 50/50 on if they do.

Show us a few pictures with it on there!
It does. It auto adjusts or let's you pick 4 settings. But even all the way down it's a little bright.

Not sure it'll be a disadvantage over the scope, which really sucked at low light.

It does. It auto adjusts or let's you pick 4 settings. But even all the way down it's a little bright.

Not sure it'll be a disadvantage over the scope, which really sucked at low light.

What's worse? Too bright or no light?

I think one 1x or 2x magnification would be optimal for a red dot on the mini. My bushnell trophy works great but I still see the riser in the left and a bit of the stirrup on the right. It forms kind of a central aiming point and I see the target fine but I think slight more magnification on one would be ideal for this settup and block out the riser and stirrup when sighting through it. Still much better than the scope that came with it especially in dark woods. The scope works fine in normal or brighter lighting in my opinion but I didn't like it in the woods much.

What's worse? Too bright or no light?

too bright is the issue. An infinite adjustment Would be ideal. And it would be set super low for beginning and end of shooting hours hunting. Which is when the critters crit

My old Bushnell has a brightness adjustment on it but it also comes with a "sun shade" that can be screwed on for use in brighter environs. I've not needed it thusly but it may be an option to consider. Unfortunately this will not work for the Reflex style red dots.

My old Bushnell has a brightness adjustment on it but it also comes with a "sun shade" that can be screwed on for use in brighter environs. I've not needed it thusly but it may be an option to consider. Unfortunately this will not work for the Reflex style red dots.

I have yet to see a sight available that gets dull enough to shoot until last legal light. But maybe I’m not looking the right places.

Back