• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Things saddle hunters say:

What's the difference between the 16" and 18" wire aider?

I am 5'9" with 3, 20" sticks and a 20" aider on each one. I can hit 25' "no problem.

event full of saddlehunters: We can climb any tree! proceed to all climb the one straight and limbless tree in sight

I like the challenge of archery hunting. proceeds to purchase anything and everything that will provide the slightest reduction of challenge to the hunt

I am 6'4" and weigh 300lbs and have a bum knee and my back hurts. I want to shave some weight because I hunt very far back in the woods. Moreso than your average hunter. Can I use carbon fiber bolts? Yes/no answers only, thanks.

That rope isn't in spec for this equipment but if I use it this way it still works.
Close cousin to the prolific, "Is this safe to use? Oh, the manufacturer goes out of their way to print guidelines and those guidelines say no? Well...I saw a guy use it on youtube. I guess you guys can't say it's safe if the manufacturer says it's not safe but, I reckon it's safe."

What a difference a mm makes for some dudes.

It isn't climb rated but I use it for my tether, bridge, linesman belt, and prussiks.

That rope isn't in spec for this equipment but if I use it this way it still works.
But what’s climb rated? I mean if we are using true tree climbing rope none of us would use anything smaller than 10mm and a 8mm prusik. Our aluminum carabiners would all be triple action and every saddle would have load bearing leg straps. Even though tactical ops gear and ropes can be used for us, not much of their gear is climb rated. And of course there is mountain climbing gear. How many of us are ready to stop using oplux and start using all dynamic instead? The term climbing rated doesn’t mean much to me.

"I only ever use "X" method when climbing"
Next day...
"Opinions on climbing using "Y" method?"
Lol this is me! I am that guy :sweatsmile:!
I have used many methods (the exception being 2 TC which until 2 months ago, I didn’t realize was a real thing). I started on sticks and gafs, tried one sticking because it seemed like an easier way to shed weight on public land. Decided it wasn’t my thing. Went to DRT. Loved it except the whole pine trees and throw balls in the dark. With practice and a great head lamp, throwing in the dark was no longer a concern but what about those pesky pine trees? Learned to use an old extension stick with a metal hook like the ones we use for switching. It was heavy. Went to cut down pvc pipe and never looked back. Of course this method also worked great for SRT so now ropes are my favorite way to climb. Doesn’t mean I don’t have opinions on the other methods… Any discussion on ways up the tree is a great opportunity for everyone to learn or think outside the box though ;)

You stock a small amount of a certain piece of metal, hardware, thread, or flat piece of anything that could potentially be strapped to a tree, for a very niche market, totally unrelated to hunting in diapers? That's cute. I'm here to wreck your business model.

Back