• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Staying home to hunt

So far that’s pretty much what I’ve done, hunting within an hour from home. One day I hope to change that.

I hunt 90% of the year within 30 min of my house. Only 5 days are spend 4 hours away at camp. Everything is within my state

I was raised on a big cattle ranch and pretty much only hunted within walking distance of the house for the first several years I hunted. Killed a pile of deer that way, but I’ve never experienced a deer camp and hunting was never celebrated as an exciting event. That’s why when my daughters old enough I plan to make it a big deal. I want to take a trip somewhere and camp and do it up big.

I'm lucky to live in a good area to deer hunt and I hunt most nights on the way home from work. I'll make a couple of trips per year a few hours away with friends too.

I can be in 3 different states within a 1 hour drive so that allows me to hunt near home and out of state as well pretty easily

I have a bunch of different public blocks of woods within1-1.5 hours of my house. 99% of the time I'm dark to dark and home again. Our public lands are "public" but still have a set number of quotas and having 1 is required for u to hunt there. So some years u will luck out and get to hunt closer to home and other years not so much. I got 3 smallish kids so until they are a little older I like to stay close so if I get the call I can be home to help her out. Have everything packed and ready the night before, leave out early, go enjoy the day, and very important to reorganize and have things in order for the next morning before I leave the woods to drive home. That way when I pull into the driveway I just need to get cleaned up quick and can be back in dad mode without having to think in the back of my mind about getting things ready again in the morning. #weekendwarriors

Family farm is 2 hours away. Once there, it was under a 100y walk to the pump house to wait for them to come up in the yard. This year I'm trying out this whole "hunting" thing by hanging from a tree by a rope.

Family farm is 2 hours away. Once there, it was under a 100y walk to the pump house to wait for them to come up in the yard. This year I'm trying out this whole "hunting" thing by hanging from a tree by a rope.
Lol, There’s a bucket thread around here somewhere...Yard deer are definitely fun to hunt, and a whole lot easier to drag out.
Ex MIL fed them out of a bird bath, exactly 30 yards from the corner of the porch...

Most of my hunting is less than a hour of total truck and ATV ride time. My favorite hunting is on the mtn behind my house. Just a 10 min atv ride. I do travel out of state some after filling my ky tags.

I have about 30,000 acres of public about 20 mins away and over 100,000 acres within a hour away.

But I still hunt some farther away sometimes. But this year I am staying close to home.

I can literally walk out my back door and be in a stand and hunting within 5 minutes. One of my stands is 30 yards off of my lawn.The rest of my hunting is within a 10 minute drive unless I decide to go uptah camp which is just over 2 ours north. I mostly hunt near home though because there is a lot more deer around the house.

I always make plans to go out of state but find myself just wanting to hunt around home.

I hunt 2 hours from home, but am about to move 2 hours and hunt out the front door
Currently i fish 190 days a year and the Mississippi/StCroix is 200 yds from my house.
Instead of commuting to hunt i'll be commuting to fish.
Looking forward to the move and 2021 deer season! :)

Back