• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What tool/item/method/setting have you tried once and never again due to experience?

HuumanCreed

SH Member
Just curious about other's experiences.

I'll go first and I might be a very small minority, but I will never use spurs again after trying them out. No, I did not have an accident, and yes I was using raw/old/heavy equipment that's been well used for decades. Not those new Gecko Carbon Fiber models. But I just did not feel safe at all. 10ft up a tree once and I knew it was not for me.

I also have reservation about mechanical but since I have not successfully hit a deer with one nor plan to use them, I cant deny they are popular and there must be a reason why they are so.

Last edited:
Anything DIY on my life line. Not worth it.
I spliced a continuous loop of amsteel once (obviously incorrectly) to connect the foot loop to my hand ascender. After 3 moves up the tree the loop failed. I still get night terrors thinking about if that was anywhere else.

So everything connecting me to the tree is now straight from the factory (bridge components included)

Butt out tool, just completely unnecessary

Power belt muzzleloader bullets. Woefully inaccurate

Standard havalon piranha blades. Knife blades shouldn't turn backwards without snapping.

Accusharp. Knife destroyer

Lwcg .5
One cold morning i cammed that thing over and it popped loud enough to scare deer 5 hollers away.

Butt out tool, just completely unnecessary
Very much yes.

I'll also add a gambrel and hoist I picked up on sale last year. Worked great for lifting the deer with the block and tackle, but the auto-locking feature didn't work so he just came right back down.

Very much yes.

I'll also add a gambrel and hoist I picked up on sale last year. Worked great for lifting the deer with the block and tackle, but the auto-locking feature didn't work so he just came right back down.
Sure it was a hoist and not a winch? The latter does not lock.

X2. I've been pretty accurate with them but have have some less than stellar results with recovery on good shots.

Tracked a deer for a half mile to a creek that was gut shot with one. Guy who shot it shot it again T point blank range and 0 penetration. Took another shot to finish it off. Been using Hornadys in ML and shotgun since.

Naider/swaider on the WE stepps. I can't remember which it was (naider or swaider) but I slipped and was hanging sideways about 15' on a hook on one step. The step held rock solid but I had to clean myself. LOL
X2! These never seemed worth it to me. It might just be to my overall size and lack of flexibility but they were a one and done for me.

Similar is the EZV sight for me. Only difference is I’ve now owned one three different times. Think I’m going to make it work this time. Shoot it and go right back to my Fast Eddie XL. 0-3 should mean it’s benched forever but I still have a fourth one out in the garage…just in case.

X2. I've been pretty accurate with them but have have some less than stellar results with recovery on good shots.
That’s interesting. Most deer I’ve seen shot with these (a few myself) have such a mess of an exit wound they’re doing well to get a 100 yards before flopping over. Those results were from inlines, fwiw. But I know with muzzleloading, results can vary widely.

Hawk tree hook. Gifted to me, I had two of these. The "ultra sharp auger tip" is so soft that it mushrooms and while you pour muscle and sweat into it, the only thing getting screwed is you.

Dead Down Wind deodorant. You won't smell like b.o., you'll smell like it...and that leads to an alarming rate of being busted. I started stealing my wife's crystal deodorant, problem solved. Also, DDW detergent. I won't touch another DDW product. Scent Killer gets the job done.

438E22DA-FFFE-42EF-A2A9-155E4CCDD4D4.jpegB34497F7-9841-49A4-B7EE-B3729DEC1E61.png

I always used Scent Killer too and like it but last year I got a bottle of the DDW spray and its seemed to work great for me. But I watch the wind and thermals a lot too so there's that. I don't use anything else, no scentlock suits or anything. I do wear rubber boots a lot and love hunting farms where there is a lot of cow poop around as that stuff is great cover scent. Walk through those patties on your way to your stand. Your platform smells a little bit for while as does your aider and stick but.... heck, its almost like deer poop right???

That’s interesting. Most deer I’ve seen shot with these (a few myself) have such a mess of an exit wound they’re doing well to get a 100 yards before flopping over. Those results were from inlines, fwiw. But I know with muzzleloading, results can vary widely.
The ones we had when they first came out literally dropped straight to the bottom of the barrel and were supposedly the right caliber. Maybe they got better later.

Back