• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Feeders

Mattyq2402

I'm in Ohio, every neighbor baits around me so I'm looking at joining the party. Any recommendations for a budget feeder? Gravity vs electric? Best recommendations for heavy racoon population?

Atwoods had corn $8.50 for a 40# sack the other day. That’s high as giraffe nuts. I would def go electric just to save on feed lost to other critters vs gravity.

If they are used to being hunted on feeders, you might want to hang an electric high up in a tree with a hand winch used for boat trailers. You will have more luck hunting close to the bedding like mentioned above in my opinion.

They will start feeding at night over bait real quick. In Alabama where I live zone c and d I could hunt over bait night and day during October with a bow, I want but the option is there.

We can't hunt over bait here but as others have mentioned, is there anything else lacking such as bedding or water? Give them something that they cannot otherwise get from your neighbors.

I've been working on the property, have food going in at multiple locations, 2 orchard locations both of which are young, security cover pockets, and hinge cut bedding. Noticed I don't have resident bucks like I have in the past, neighbors all bait heavily, I've spoke with multiple big names in the habitat world as well as well known Ohio hunters and unfortunately if you don't run corn you are at a disadvantage. I hate corn piles but understand what I'm up against.

Next question would be how do you keep the pests out of and off them.

Pay a trapper to take care of the coon. I'll do it for free most to the time but between nov 10 and gun season is generally the best time to trap coon and wanting me to wait till after Christmas...better open your wallet as it gets harder to catch as many coon then.

I realy hate to reveal this but what to heck i'm getting old so here goes. Find your best acorn tree, when it starts dropping start scattering corn under the tree the deer will come for the acorns and eat both. When the acorns are gone they will come back for the corn. Again remember they will feed after dark real quick but you may get a week or two in before.

What part of Ohio? Are there all ready corn fields all over? Or you south/east area?
What kinda deer are you looking to shoot?
Are you over hunting the property? How much do you have?
Just asking. I am not an expert by any means. I am always trying to pick up bits to help me on the farm I hunt.
But seems few good bucks are shot over feeders in high pressured areas. Are your neighbors all shooting nice bucks every year? Feeders seem to attract small bucks and small does during day light hours in southern Michigan area. There is tons of corn fields and beans.
Deer need food, water, and secure cover. Plus not being botherd to much by people. So how is not having a feeder leaving you out of the game is there is tons of food around?
I'm just trying to understand for my information. Maybe there is a better way to spend money than a feeder.
Do you run any mock scrapes?
Plenty of grasses? What does the property look like once the leaves are all down? Open or still plenty of cover?
Are you acessing your stands down wind and out of site?

Back