• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What lbs are you using this season? Ever consider going lower?

When you hear FOC(front of center), think about those old nerf footballs that used to have the arrow tails on them. I used to be able to throw those things twice as far as normal and could thread a needle with one. It's essentially the same with an arrow. Most everything else is fairly easy to understand.
I've bow hunted since about 14 or 15 yo. I'm now 45. I'm small, but athletic and developed good strength. I shot 70+ for years. My compound now is 60#. No reason for more.

My trad bows are all over 60# but one. I also maintain my arms, shoulders and chest on purpose. My upper back is stronger than it should be for my frame.

Uncle Ted shoots just over 40# I think.
I think we are related. I've got 8 years on ya though!!!

My bow is maxed out with 60lb limbs. Not sure what the actual draw weight is. I had it dialed back a bit when I first started shooting it. I wouldn't be opposed to dialing it back again and being able to hold at full draw longer. Never felt the need for more than 60lbs.

I agree also....but I also know I have had to draw in awkward positions in the saddle and on the ground and I was very thankful for my low draw weight
Admittedly, the deer doesn't always give one the ideal broadside, in the open, confused by what's happening position, for a hunter to shoot at. Yeah, I understand and appreciate your reasoning that shooting from an awkward position maybe the only option a hunter has. Draw weight certainly facilitates such scenarios. THP touched on that recently with practicing twisted, on your butt, knees and leaning a little bit, and of course in the"saddle"!

Admittedly, the deer doesn't always give one the ideal broadside, in the open, confused by what's happening position, for a hunter to shoot at. Yeah, I understand and appreciate your reasoning that shooting from an awkward position maybe the only option a hunter has. Draw weight certainly facilitates such scenarios. THP touched on that recently with practicing twisted, on your butt, knees and leaning a little bit, and of course in the"saddle"!
Last 1 I got I was caught out in the open so I dropped down on my knees and crawled over to a small clump of palmetto and made myself as small as possible...I drew with the bow horizontal to the ground as I was trying to lay/crouch/stoop as low to the ground as possible...drew back and popped up for the shot...I'm no he-man but I can draw 70 pretty easily standing up but I'm not sure I could draw it laying low like I was...and if it could I would require exaggerated movements

I agree. Bows are drawn with back muscles, not arms or small shoulder muscle groups. Engage the big stuff.
I think @Weldabeast is saying that there's value in dropping to a draw weight you can draw incorrectly in a pinch without stressing your body. I don't disagree, and that keeps the wear and tear down when you draw correctly 99.9% of the time.

I think @Weldabeast is saying that there's value in dropping to a draw weight you can draw incorrectly in a pinch without stressing your body. I don't disagree, and that keeps the wear and tear down when you draw correctly 99.9% of the time.

Yup. Too many ground shooting heros with their legs spread, facing the target. I practice from the ground without facing the target....saddle style.

This bear was shot with a 40lb 24" draw compound at 30yds. The wifey is quite a good shot though. Dead center, center. Right where it needed to go. This year she will be shooting heavier arrows though as her arrow didn't pass through. I'm a firm believer that it's not about the weight but a good ethical close shot.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1557544433684.jpg
    FB_IMG_1557544433684.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 18
This bear was shot with a 40lb 24" draw compound at 30yds. The wifey is quite a good shot though. Dead center, center. Right where it needed to go. This year she will be shooting heavier arrows though as her arrow didn't pass through. I'm a firm believer that it's not about the weight but a good ethical close shot.

Lucky man, unlucky bear.

Hey y'all check out the Meateater Podcast on Pandora "Archer's Paradox" guest is Ed Ashby! You like what he's discussing. I promise!

I shoot 60#. I am reasonably fit and have some back muscles as I make my living as a mason. Shooting the bow uses different muscles of course,but I could shoot 70# or more but don't see the need for it. I had a situation a few years back where I was poorly dressed and about frozen when some does came out. Drawing back my bow was almost impossible with the chilled muscles and when I had to let back down because the deer turned away I messed up my shoulder some. I think it was bursitis,felt horrible at the time,I couldn't even lift my arm up,but it didn't do any lasting damage. I considered it a warning and I am making sure I am not anywhere near my potential maximum draw weight for exactly those cold days or awkward draw positions.

I shoot 60#. I am reasonably fit and have some back muscles as I make my living as a mason. Shooting the bow uses different muscles of course,but I could shoot 70# or more but don't see the need for it. I had a situation a few years back where I was poorly dressed and about frozen when some does came out. Drawing back my bow was almost impossible with the chilled muscles and when I had to let back down because the deer turned away I messed up my shoulder some. I think it was bursitis,felt horrible at the time,I couldn't even lift my arm up,but it didn't do any lasting damage. I considered it a warning and I am making sure I am not anywhere near my potential maximum draw weight for exactly those cold days or awkward draw positions.
Been there...I use to shoot 80# easily until one day like that where I was freezing for hours and couldn't even come close to getting it drew and watching deer walk by is no fun. Went to 65# til shoulders wore out and 3 shoulder surgerys since and settled on 52 and almost every arrow still blew thru without issue

Been there...I use to shoot 80# easily until one day like that where I was freezing for hours and couldn't even come close to getting it drew and watching deer walk by is no fun. Went to 65# til shoulders wore out and 3 shoulder surgerys since and settled on 52 and almost every arrow still blew thru without issue
When I first started archery, I dealt with some elbow and wrist issues (which were largely resolved moving to a handheld release which helped me hold better form), and as part of that process just kept my bow tuned down 50 or so. When my first archery deer was an easy passthrough, and the second (after sitting for a gusty 3 hours in -10F weather), and I think the third blew through the femur and toppled a mature doe...I was definitely sold that I had plenty of umph as long as I do my job at all well (and even some surprising margin if I don't...). And those aches and pains were a definite reminder that we're all putting mileage on our bodies that ain't coming off. Short of an Elk hunting trip I think I'm pretty happy keeping my draw weight where it is.
I considered it a warning and I am making sure I am not anywhere near my potential maximum draw weight for exactly those cold days or awkward draw positions.
That's a really good point and I've preached in general about making equipment and technique decisions based on what works in the worse possible situation. Don't go out in the dead of winter with a climbing method that you've only mastered in shorts in summer. Be aware of any icing/freezing issues with your gear (e.g. autolocking biners!). Have a dead simple and safe way down the tree...even if you've made a series of stupid decisions leaving you near-hypothermic and adrenaline-dumped (and don't make those stupid decisions next time around...)

Back