• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mississippi saddle hunters

I’m home (Gulfport Naval Base) from deployment!
We have a house full of boxes. But most of the essentials are unpacked and set up. Looking forward to hunting season. Glad I have a little while to get ready before the first good snow.
I have family in Gulfport. I’ll let you know when I head down that way.

Good morning fellow Mississippi hunters.
It is about 8:15 am here in Gulfport. We're on lockdown for Hurricane Ida. Can't go anywhere. And everything on base has been shutdown since yesterday afternoon. We have most of our boxes unpacked and were able to actually get the car in the garage yesterday! Morning Bible reading and prayers are done. Church is cancelled. So, I'm enjoying the internet while I have it. And watching out the window waiting for the storm... and thinking about hunting season. Be safe today fellas! I think I'll "internet scout" some public land spots.

I lived in Gulfport for 5 years. The public land around there is thick and sucks to hunt. Lots of the locals run dogs. Small coastal deer too but there are some big ones if they get some age. I lived on 10 acres and I couldn't even penetrate it. You hit a yaupon bush with a machete and it bounces off and slaps you in the face. Sucks for bowhunting. I would hunt more north in the delta area or along the MS river. I still make trips there with friends every now and then. MS is a great deer hunting place the further you get off the coast. I had a lease in Louisville which is just north of Meridian. I'm in Alabama now. Its kinda the same. Got great areas and not so great areas. You just have to get experienced with it.

Are you the same trad guy I met at that tradhunt we had and at the howard hill shoot? Been so long, I can't remember the name of the site we met on. lol

Yes, Corey Bailey real buddy . If you know Corey your somebody!

All joking aside we met I know once at the Hill and I’ve got pictures of you, Corey, and you’re kids in one of the videos I made.

Yes, Corey Bailey real buddy . If you know Corey your somebody!

All joking aside we met I know once at the Hill and I’ve got pictures of you, Corey, and you’re kids in one of the videos I made.
But not the same guy we had that group hunt at Yockanookany WMA in Ms that Mr Warren attended with us? Bucker put it on but didn't show up. I can't remember the name of that forum. It didn't live long, MS Trad hunters or something like that.

That was probably Joe Buck. Yes “MS Trad Bowhunters” I joined to but nothing went anywhere. Probably low participation rate

With a little practice you’ll be hitting in no time!

PM me when your ready, myself and a few of my buddies Trad hunt and be willing to help in anyway we can.

As for the local area hunting again like stated it is thick, highly pressured in some areas, and has lower deer density, but can be hunted successfully.

Better hunting further north you go.

Dumb questions about Mississippi hunting regulations:

This is my first season hunting in Mississippi. I don't want to violate any laws.

So, am I right in thinking the following?
Right now, hunting in Southeast MS, in the Desoto National Forest, I can hunt with my AR (chambered in 6.5 Grendel) with no limit on magazine capacity, but that I can only shoot a legal buck. I cannot shoot a doe. I have a Sportsman's license. I don't need anything else, like deer tags.
Correct?

Dumb questions about Mississippi hunting regulations:

This is my first season hunting in Mississippi. I don't want to violate any laws.

So, am I right in thinking the following?
Right now, hunting in Southeast MS, in the Desoto National Forest, I can hunt with my AR (chambered in 6.5 Grendel) with no limit on magazine capacity, but that I can only shoot a legal buck. I cannot shoot a doe. I have a Sportsman's license. I don't need anything else, like deer tags.
Correct?
That is correct to my knowledge. I can’t think of any other licenses you would need for hunting open public land.

I passed a legal buck Monday evening. He was facing me and I wanted him to turn broadside. It probably would have been a killing shot with the rifle, but I didn't want to chance it. And Tuesday I had 2 does in front of me for about an hour. All these deer were in bow range. I've been watching deer through my scope but am really hoping I get to pull the trigger soon! But when I do pull the trigger, I want a quick, clean, legal kill with no regrets.

Sounds like you’re on some deer atleast! The weather looks like it’s gonna stay pretty good for the next couple weeks so hopefully you’ll get another chance at that buck.

I killed a buck this afternoon in De Soto National Forest. He was checking his scrape line. One main beam is almost 15 inches, so he’s legal. The woods were pretty thick and if I had waited another millisecond he would have passed through the little opening and I wouldn’t have had a shot. I rushed the shot (uncharacteristic of me) and was surprised I hit him.
Thank you Lord for my first Mississippi deer!3B1FF670-AEEF-4300-9E5B-F50D6BAF04ED.jpeg75F0A305-C951-40A3-B6FC-40FD335E759E.jpeg

Back