• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Reminder - be careful what you leave in your car

GreginPA

SH Member
Hey. Just wanted to share a story. I was out scouting this morning. Found some great sign, hung a camera and got excited for opening day which is a month away. Well my truck got broken into while I was out having fun. I had left my wallet in the console and they stole all my cash, about $150, but left my credit cards. In fact they also left a Lowe's $200 gift card in my wallet that still has about $100 on it.

Anyway. Just wanted to say - be careful what you leave in your vehicle when you are out hunting. Next time I'm going to lock my stuff up in my pistol safe. Doesn't appear they even tried to steal the safe or get in it. Glad the pistol was with me instead of in the safe either way.

If this was in season, I would have had a lot more back up gear in my truck. Oh well.

IMG_2249D.JPG

This actually happened to me several years ago when I was out hunting with my daughter. The sob smashed the passenger side window out of my truck and rifled through it but didn't get anything. Really p*ssed me off though. I hate thieves. My daughter was about 13 at the time and froze her butt off on the way home cause it was about 20 degrees that day but luckily we weren't far from home.

Man I hate to hear that. My truck was broken into sitting in my driveway a few weeks ago. Stole a Sig P365 and a couple hundred bucks cash. Cops and insurance company said it’s getting worst at a steady rate. No surprise there.

I actually put a game camera on the parking area I hunt, about15 feet in air. Don’t think anyone has noticed it for the last five years.

If this cam is at GP, u may have me stripping naked and changing out of sweat drenched hunting clothes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If this cam is at GP, u may have me stripping naked and changing out of sweat drenched hunting clothes

And just when I thought setting a camera like this was a good idea and something I’d probably do this season. Now I’m having some pretty serious second thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It’s bad around Arkansas right now too. I’m going to get a motion activated 360 camera for my truck

I hate this stuff, I know it’s the world we live in, but man that gets me fired up!! I’ve often thought I need to put a cell camera on my truck but that’s just ridiculous!!!!!!

The cop actually made that suggestion to me. I have some cheap video game cameras. I was thinking maybe I'd take one apart and rig it up so it was more discrete and leave it in my truck. But I assume they would just find it and destroy it.

I forgot to mention - they didn't steal my dash camera. I was hoping maybe it turned on because of being jostled, but it didn't.

That is terrible. What part of PA if you don't mind me asking?

Southern Lebanon County

You might want to test out the camera first inside of the vehicle. We have a lot of catalytic converter thefts where I live. A company put a trail camera in their truck thinking it would capture or deter the thefts. It did neither. I don't think the PIR works through the window.

The POS's that do these thefts may make $200-400 through selling the stolen converter but leave you with about 2 grand in repair costs.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

There have been quite a few catalytic converters stolen around here.
When I used to hunt off I65 i would tape a sign on the drivers side window that said i was hunting, I was near by in a tree, with a high powered rifle. Lol I wish I would have had a video camera running those years!

So just to wrap this if anyone is interested. Insurance is covering the window and trim damage in full, $800 estimate but waiting on parts which may be a few weeks. Really hope it is fixed before the 10/3 season opener.

I played with my truck alarm today and was disappointed to learn that if the alarm is set, but you reach through a missing window, unlock the door and open it, the alarm does not sound off. Seems silly.

I ordered a hard cover tonneau "Undercover 4050" which will not allow my tail gate to be opened, even if unlocked, unless the tonneau is unlocked and opened first. And I ordered the below item off of Amazon for my center console. I will keep more gear in the bed of my truck going forward but can secure small valuables in the center console. If they break my window again - they won't get much and can't access the bed.

Back