• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Deer Tongue and Chimichurri Crostini

River Hunter

I took the leap and decided to try deer tongue. I was making a batch of Hank Shaw's wedding soup so I threw the tongue in the pot while everything simmered for 3 hours.
Peeled it back, sliced it thin, salt and pepper, and pan fried for 30 seconds on each side.
Topped with a chimichurri and it was surprisingly good! I got 3 kids to try it and not one of them spit it out :tearsofjoy:
I really liked the texture, super tender and the quick sear definitely is a must.

I won't be leaving tongues in the field anymore!

Here's the recipe for the chimichurri - I inadvertently omitted the chile but it was excellent without.

2 garlic cloves (1-2 garlic) minced)
1 cup fresh chopped parsley (lightly packed)
1 cup fresh chopped mint (lightly packed)
1 small hot chile (minced)
3 tablespoons lime juice (2-3 tablespoons)
½ cup olive oil
Salt and black pepper to taste
1 ½ pounds venison backstrap (in one piece)
1 Vegetable oil
1 Salt

Food processor method: Put the garlic, herbs, chile, lime juice and a little salt in the bowl of a food processor. Buzz to combine, but do not puree. With the motor running, drizzle in the olive oil. Add more salt and black pepper to taste. Let steep for an hour or so before serving.

Traditional method: Mince the garlic, chile and herbs by hand and pound a little in a mortar and pestle. Add the lime juice, salt and pepper and then mix in the olive oil slowly by hand, stirring all the while. Let steep for an hour or so before serving.

tongue crostini.PNG

That sounds and looks really good!! I have watched several videos on cooking tongue and will try it this fall on a fresh one. Thanks for sharing.

One fall i was winning a few skills for euro mounts and thought to myself i winner what the tongue would be like..... Naw. My wife won't let me in the house if I bring this in to cook. Still want to try it and if I can get a few to do at one time i likely will give this a try

I've never had deer tongue, but beef tongue is really good.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I've eaten "lingua" street tacos lots over the years and they are excellent!! One reason I want to try deer tongue.

Can u explain the extraction process.....does that muscle abruptly end at the back of the throat or does it go down the neck a little ways?

My wife gave a sideways glance when i said I was gonna save one this year and might as well save nuts if I get a buck

Lol, For some reason, I’m feeling really insecure about myself after watching that video

Back