• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What do you do with your rangefinder while in the saddle?

CharlieTN

Just got my first rangefinder and now I’m working on how I want to keep it accessible.

Do you all hang it from your gear strap? Or do you wear it around your neck? Or do you have it in some sort of pouch?

What do you do with your rangefinder as you’re walking in?

I don‘t use a binocular pouch as I sweat a lot and don’t want anything else on my chest.

Thanks for the in put.

Mine goes in my bino harness strapped to tree in from of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put mine on a gear strap, and I use it. I use it until I have a good layout around me of yardages.

That log to my left with the y in the end of it, 20 yards. That leaner log up against that tree, thirty yards. That big cherry tree over there with a vine on it, out of range.

I use that range finder until I have a 20 and 30 yard ring of landmarks around me, and then I use it some more.

I paid a lot of money for that damn thing, trying to get my moneys worth!

Mine stays in a pouch on my hunting vest. It fits really well in a surplus grenade pouch. It's easy to get to in case I need to use on the ground. If I climb a tree i range the surrounding area 2 or 3 times 360 around the tree taking mental note of certain visual references at certain yardages. I then put it away. I rarely use mine while up in a tree and I see the animal. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing...hehe

Mine sits on the first molle loop on the right side of my saddle. I figure that I'll wear my saddle in and out of the woods so it'll always be ready in case I stumble across one while walking.

I do this except just use a smaller piece of paracord instead of the carabiner so I don’t risk bumping that metal on anything

Now that looks like a great way to carry it.

I’ll have to play around with that some. But I also agree on skipping the carabiner. I would be clanking that against something for sure.

I do this except just use a smaller piece of paracord instead of the carabiner so I don’t risk bumping that metal on anything

I do the same but with a Blake’s knot to adjust the length and a tiny niteyz s clip. Allows me to move to Bono harness or keep separate.
9b480c5e41d7425b08687957dd1f6fd0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine has a small pouch attached to the backpack strap for carry in. Once I'm set up it hangs on my gear strap in front of me.

I use a Rick young outdoors binocular strap and attach my rangefinder on the side like he does on his website. Simple and effective.

mine came with a small lwrist lanyard, i have one of the smallest size nite ize S biners on it and clip to either molle webbing on my bag or my gear hanger (amsteel daisy chain style). i like the blakes knot idea above though. not sure if i'd be able to handle a bono loop though ;)

I generally store mine in my chest pocket but have been playing around with a way to attach it to thr tag end of my tether on a short piece of elastic rope just below the prusick. Still working the kinks out but liking it a lot practicing in the yard. Will take a pic the next time I'm out there.

I keep mine tied to a 18’’ piece of para cord and it stays in my opened SYS hauler.

This is a great tip from Waddell, especially when on foot stalking. It can work well in stand, but in the saddle I prefer to keep my rangefinder in a chest or kangaroo pocket. I try to attach a small elastic cord as a tether in the event I drop it. if you use a chest pocket make sure it doesn’t interfere with your bow string.

Probably just me but I can't stand wearing a chest harness for bino's and rangefinder when shooting a bow. Gun hunting isn't a problem though.

Walking in it's in my backpack.

Once in the tree it's hanging on my gear hanger in front of me. I range landmarks once I'm all setup and then use it again when a target animal is in sight and coming into shooting distance. Once it's inside my range I verify my landmarks one more time and then switch to kill mode.

I have learned the hard way to never wear anything around my neck while bowhunting.

The short story is ten years ago I had my first ever encounter with a large deer, a 10 point no less. He came walking directly underneath my stand and stopped. I leaned over, put my pin on him and took the shot. At the shot I felt a sharp tug on my neck and heard the arrow hit tree limbs and make a racket in the ground clutter. Said deer flinched, looked at the trail behind him then walked out of my life. I stood there in shock at what just happened and then realized what took place when I saw frayed ends of a cord hanging at my chest.

The act of leaning over for the shot caused the grunt tube around my neck to dangle in the air in front of me and got caught by the bow string as I released the arrow, which explained the tug on my neck I felt at the shot.

Back