• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Canoe rebuild

I wanted to get some work done over the off season but I had a baby instead.....so no trolling motor or navigation lights....added a dolly/trolly/whatever u call it and a folding seat. Vet wrap on some clamps easy paddle holder....weather permitting I hope to haul 1 home soon. Season starts next weekend

Screenshot_20210911-174300_(1).png

Just got my Craigslist canoe last week. It’s in ok shape. Just needs paint for exterior and top deck for interior. I agree that canoes are the way to hunt and fish. Prefer them over kayaks to be sure.

779173e287ddd802007f5ec5854c80a8.jpg

Re purposed an old bicycle and a bicycle car rack today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m happy to see this thread again. I think I may have made a thread about canoes vs kayaks one time and learned a lot about it here on the forum. I ended up getting an Old Town Camper off of Facebook last year and have enjoyed it. It didn’t have hardly a scratch on the bottom but the first time my wife and I went out in it we scuffed it up real good. It’s made out of Royalex and is pretty lightweight for its size. I think it weighs 58lbs if I remember correctly. I still haven’t figured out how to paddle it straight. All I have is the cheap standard paddles it came with so I may look into building a different style paddle to try out. I drove to Kentucky to pick it up and it’s blue so I call it Kentucky Blue.
00f62ac9f4a47c36ae526b648ed53e06.jpg

Trolling motor had a busted tilt bracket and was given to me....I found the replacement parts online for like 5 bucks and it was 10 dollars to ship hahahaah

I made the mount with crap I had laying around and the battery was on sale .....frugalAF

Three 4" lag bolts holding on the mounting block to the hardwood pallet slats. 3/8 stainless all thread to cinch it together

Trolling motor had a busted tilt bracket and was given to me....I found the replacement parts online for like 5 bucks and it was 10 dollars to ship hahahaah

I made the mount with crap I had laying around and the battery was on sale .....frugalAF

Three 4" lag bolts holding on the mounting block to the hardwood pallet slats. 3/8 stainless all thread to cinch it together
I just bought a new trolling motor for my Jon boat yesterday. I’m thinking about building a canoe mount and using my old motor for it. I built a handle extension that swivels that’s pretty sweet too.

f8745fbb6656e0de76ab417943979fb3.jpg

ecb9469f1b536e33fd94e3147189a798.jpg

Here is the DIY swivel extension

I'm wondering how difficult to shorten the shaft
When I first bought this motor it had a broken tiller handle from being dropped. I used a short piece of 1” PVC for the handle for a couple of duck seasons. You could make a PVC handle as short or long as you need.

Im talking about the main tube....looks like 4 or 6 screws gets u into the head. I'm guessing u can separate the head from the shaft maybe.....cut the shaft shorter and reattach the head. They sell long and short shaft versions of the same trolling motor so makes me think the motor and head can mount on any length shaft....I gotta research a little first but I'm thinking it might be pretty simple

Im talking about the main tube....looks like 4 or 6 screws gets u into the head. I'm guessing u can separate the head from the shaft maybe.....cut the shaft shorter and reattach the head. They sell long and short shaft versions of the same trolling motor so makes me think the motor and head can mount on any length shaft....I gotta research a little first but I'm thinking it might be pretty simple
Ah, I see probably would be pretty easy

I use a 2hp Honda 4 stroke short shaft outboard on my 14 footer. I can about pull a skier

Shortening the shaft is super easy. Remove the head, open it up, unwire, cut shaft without cutting wires, rewire and reassemble...profit.

I saw “canoe rebuild” and thought sweet what is this thread. I see it’s the ole Turd Ferguson thread which I have enjoyed in the past. I did make this for my canoe the other day which is sweet! Load up at the truck and roll down to the water.
41e593a0e3b0dc27675a9107099a9603.jpg

I saw “canoe rebuild” and thought sweet what is this thread. I see it’s the ole Turd Ferguson thread which I have enjoyed in the past. I did make this for my canoe the other day which is sweet! Load up at the truck and roll down to the water.

That looks pretty sweet.....be sure to wear some sunscreen hahahaha

I still need to address transport. The topper is awesome but needs modification for easy loading. The wood rack was much easier.....or I need to let the turd go and buy a smaller/lighter boat....16ft a little much for me to load and unload solo

That looks pretty sweet.....be sure to wear some sunscreen hahahaha

I still need to address transport. The topper is awesome but needs modification for easy loading. The wood rack was much easier.....or I need to let the turd go and buy a smaller/lighter boat....16ft a little much for me to load and unload solo
I made mine out of an old kid hauler that you pull behind a bike and some lumber I had laying around. Works perfect Screenshot_20230703-131122.png
Bad picture but you get the idea. Lost a noodle last trip apparently

Screenshot_20230703-131649.pngScreenshot_20230703-131640.png

Last edited:
Back