• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

1st Year in Mississippi

Nutterbuster

SH Member
So finally broke down and spent nearly $500 on an annual tag to the Magnolia State. Did it because a longtime friend has been coaxing me for years. Well, he's having hip surgery first week of October. Doubt he's gonna be making good on that promise to show me around. We may ride up there in the next two weekends and ride the roads a little if I'm lucky.

So, if any of y'all hunt around the Yazoo area, let me know. I'll be camping up that way at least a few times by my lonesome. I don't bite and I rarely hunt other people's spots.

Also, I've got a few questions about general rules and regulations. One thing that caught me off guard was 500 square inches of orange unless you're 12ft up. I'm guessing any old blaze orange vest makes that? 3 buck limit. Do y'all do tags? Alabama just requires phoning them in or using the app. Speaking of which, I guess having the MS app means you don't have to get a daily permit from the check in stations?

Any weird rules or regs I need to be aware of?

I should be able to answer most your questions, and I hunt the yazoo area. Shoot me a PM for more direct questions on the area.

Your regular orange vest will work, the only thing I’ve seen them fuss about is a vest with holes in it like mesh material. They want it unbroken. I think they require you to wear the orange vest on public land regardless if you’re up in a tree or not.

No tags, do have a voluntary check in system if you choose to go that route. But it’s not required.

And yes if you’re hunting a WMA you can check in on your phone. If you’re hunting a NWR you still have to fill out a check in card daily.

And yes if you’re hunting a WMA you can check in on your phone. If you’re hunting a NWR you still have to fill out a check in card daily.
Funny, I hunt NWRs in several states and they are all over the map wrt rules. One I hunt you just have to sign a little card saying you read all the rules and carry that through the season. Another, nothing, no check in or anything. Haven’t hunted one where you have to check in every day, sounds like a PITA.

Funny, I hunt NWRs in several states and they are all over the map wrt rules. One I hunt you just have to sign a little card saying you read all the rules and carry that through the season. Another, nothing, no check in or anything. Haven’t hunted one where you have to check in every day, sounds like a PITA.
Guess it’s one of those things we’ve always had to do so it’s a part of the day. Not really sure what kind of info they are trying to obtain other than amount of hunters on the property.

I am really looking forward to following along with the adventures of nutter this fall, I hope you have a dedicated thread planned @Nutterbuster

I just sent you a text. My dad has a camp up there. But there is about 4 different public spots in that area to hunt. And they all have different rules.

Back