• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Do you eat the heart?

Do you eat the heart? Liver?

• Heart and liver

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • Just heart

Votes: 60 61.9%
  • Just liver

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Coyotes enjoy it more.

Votes: 17 17.5%

• Total voters
I eat the heart and liver, and especially the liver, out of health principle more than anything. Liver has incredible nutrients but I struggle with the flavor, even with ketchup or BBQ sauce. But I learned if you soak it overnight in milk, then sauté it with onions, it's tolerable if not overcooked. Similarly, I always saltwater-soak the heart. It really softens and enriches the flavor.

This is the main reason I take the liver also. The nutrients in it are amazing. I also take desiccated organ supplements every morning and there's been a noticeable difference in the way I feel everyday.

My father in law turned me on to the heart meal with my first deer harvest that he was with us at our home. I am now very hooked on that meal and my wife and I look forward to it with every harvest. Sliced and fried in garlic and butter and a little black pepper, Mmm Mmm.

f51657114c94644cd7ba5a0387446279.jpg

68984ab06adf065035f83cf503f6c1c2.jpg

dbb85f756514bf4722cbceb4f21668a3.jpg

I’ve cooked it quite a few times, fajitas probably the family favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love it pan fried, but pickled venison heart is my favorite. Just save 4 hearts, rinse n slice, pickle for 10days and enjoy. Still a different texture but less noticeable.

Just curious how many people and doing it? What's the best way you have found?
I usually just slice up the heart and cook it like a butterfly back strap.
What are you guys going?
I grill mine ,usually ate the same night of harvest ,a delicacy

Tried it again this year. Sautéed in garlic butter with onions and peppers and over top of a bed of rice. A lot better this year, but still not 100% sold lol

Back