• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Live from the saddle 2021

Saw a doe on the walk in-she didn't seem to care about me or my white light, just stared me down with her glowing eyes as I walked by about 40 yards away. I debated trying to set up right there and waiting until first light and seeing if I could take her but decided to stick to the plan and hike in to the oak flat I'd discovered last time I was out. I decided to set up in a somewhat similar spot to last time and somehow ended up climbing the same tree I was on a few weeks ago, not a bad thing because I saw quite a few deer that day, but funny because I wasn't really trying to do that. Only squirrels over here so far.

Second sit in this piece of public. First sit opening wknd heard a couple blow, so decided to give it another shot. Saw 3 at dawn, but not near my shooting windows. Also had a flock of turkey fly down behind me. Another great day in the woods.
cc3fc32e4b587defb6df256fb68bf6e2.jpg

I wish I was a headlight on a north-bound train

Tell us what you have going on there @Vtbow. Looks like your bridge is attached directly to your gear hanger via a d-loop or climbing ring.
Nothing too exciting. It's an old school Lonr wolf sniper sling(brad kunhert des8gn) super low anchor pointbi had CGM downside custom work to.. Bridge is permanently through an oversized rap ring which is affixed to the tree anchor. In the picture I posted, gear hanger is just a cheap Allen screw in, but it's funny you mention it, cause I've just started experimenting with one hung on the anchor strap. I think it's a little low to my liking but time will tell. It's just bent aluminum flat bar covered in old school fleece tape...
20211011_211621.jpg20211011_211603.jpg20211011_211549.jpg

So far, "7" has provided two steak dinners and 5# of teriyaki jerky. This weekend, she'll make 5# of regular and 5# of cheddar sticks with plenty more waiting in the freezer.

My neighbor and I have a tradition of naming all of our deer. In the last few years, we've taken:
- Stinky (found the following morning)
- Bambi (self explanatory)
- Not Doe (from 125 yards, I didn't see antlers)
- 7 (taken at 7 yards)

Nothing too exciting. It's an old school Lonr wolf sniper sling(brad kunhert des8gn) super low anchor pointbi had CGM downside custom work to.. Bridge is permanently through an oversized rap ring which is affixed to the tree anchor. In the picture I posted, gear hanger is just a cheap Allen screw in, but it's funny you mention it, cause I've just started experimenting with one hung on the anchor strap. I think it's a little low to my liking but time will tell. It's just bent aluminum flat bar covered in old school fleece tape...
View attachment 54710View attachment 54711View attachment 54712
That's pretty interesting! Certainly not going anywhere if you take a fall...

Two questions:
1. How would you characterize movement toward the backside of a tree with that setup vs a regular higher tether? Seems like you would lose significant freedom as opposed to the obvious longer swing radius of a regular tether?
2. I assume you only employ this setup once at hunting height? Doesn't seem like it would be of benefit in any kind of climbing method.

That's pretty interesting! Certainly not going anywhere if you take a fall...

Two questions:
1. How would you characterize movement toward the backside of a tree with that setup vs a regular higher tether? Seems like you would lose significant freedom as opposed to the obvious longer swing radius of a regular tether?
2. I assume you only employ this setup once at hunting height? Doesn't seem like it would be of benefit in any kind of climbing method.
Yeah, it's super solid, and extremely comfortable. You're not sitting down in it by any means, but no hip pinch leaning, and I can easily stand up in the platform if I need a break on my lower back, which I rarely do...granted longest hang so far with it was about 5 hours

1. You obviously can't get 180 degrees on the other side of the tree, but there is 0 limitation to shots. Because the bridge actially goes all the way to each hip and theyre aren't any bridge loops it's almost less restricting than what most are used to with bridge loops. I can shoot 360 degrees no problem. Keep in mind I'm on a platform, a huge one not a ring of steps so I see 0 scenarios where I would want to swing all the way around the tree, especially if I put some thought into setup.

2.that is correct, the bridge and anchor are folded accordian style and placed out of the way under a piece of elastic on my left hip.The original sniper saddle had a fixed linemans belt like a cheap treestand harness, but that has been removed and I had CGM put some new loops on and they knocked it out if the park. It climbs like any other saddle, bit I wouldn't want to srt or drt with it, again not comfy to sit in. I climb using bolts 90 percent of the time and either strap on aluminum steps or sticks the rest. The design of this setup has zero drawbacks or effect on my climbing method.

Overall I'm super happy with this setup. The sniper sling gets a bad rap a lot, but I don't think people really gave it a wholehearted chance since the linemans setup suckrd so much.

Yeah, it's super solid, and extremely comfortable. You're not sitting down in it by any means, but no hip pinch leaning, and I can easily stand up in the platform if I need a break on my lower back, which I rarely do...granted longest hang so far with it was about 5 hours

1. You obviously can't get 180 degrees on the other side of the tree, but there is 0 limitation to shots. Because the bridge actially goes all the way to each hip and theyre aren't any bridge loops it's almost less restricting than what most are used to with bridge loops. I can shoot 360 degrees no problem. Keep in mind I'm on a platform, a huge one not a ring of steps so I see 0 scenarios where I would want to swing all the way around the tree, especially if I put some thought into setup.

2.that is correct, the bridge and anchor are folded accordian style and placed out of the way under a piece of elastic on my left hip.The original sniper saddle had a fixed linemans belt like a cheap treestand harness, but that has been removed and I had CGM put some new loops on and they knocked it out if the park. It climbs like any other saddle, bit I wouldn't want to srt or drt with it, again not comfy to sit in. I climb using bolts 90 percent of the time and either strap on aluminum steps or sticks the rest. The design of this setup has zero drawbacks or effect on my climbing method.

Overall I'm super happy with this setup. The sniper sling gets a bad rap a lot, but I don't think people really gave it a wholehearted chance since the linemans setup suckrd so much.
Sweet. Thanks for giving us the lowdown!

Got out yesterday afternoon. Hot as hades but the wind was perfect. Big ole' heavy tracks in harder pack mud that the grape pickers caused as they were going to the apples but I didn't see one deer. EWO UOS with UP and a two step Aider works like a charm. Canopy was lower was only up about 16ft.IMG-7287.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-7286.jpg
    IMG-7286.jpg
    385.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG-7285.jpg
    IMG-7285.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 58
Back